Where are our cars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Where are our cars

Post by momag46 »

Yesterday I took the Xantia to Stamford Car Show, 500 cars covering a time span of 1915'sh to the present.

There were four Citroen, two Tractions, a BX and my Xantia. I know there should have been Mike Cottingham's DS but he wasn't well so only four Citroens!

In May we went on holiday to north Wales and on the Sunday there was a car show at Prestatyn - there must have been 200+ car there and NO Citroens.

I was surprised that at both shows there was not even a 2cv.

Are we just shy or don't we like to get our cars dirty.

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Where are our cars

Post by CitroJim »

momag46 wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 12:25 Are we just shy or don't we like to get our cars dirty.

We're all too busy fixing them Maurice :lol:

It's a shame as I used to love going to car shows, any car shows... I still would if I could get to them easily...

I only do local ones nowadays...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Not many left

Not many can keep a DS/TRACTION/CX going......who gives a #### about the others

Not many "outward going" Citroen owners.

Not many Citroen owners "get into car clubs/shows", one reason being the CCC being a little.......uummmm (Imagine how many new/modern classics/classic) Fords would show up at a Ford National Show...>>>> CCC had maybe 10 "New" cars at its show.

Citroen company (over many years)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
momag46
(Donor 2020)

Post by momag46 »

I agree Alisdair
I don't think many owners of new Citroens are really interested in cars or Citroen.

That said, at the ccc nationals (2016 & 17) there were a number of C2s and they don't seem to be interested in mixed car shows.

There were six Lomas' at Stamford but they are quite local and seem to do shows in this area en masse.

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Sad but true.
My car brings out fond stories of parents old cxs etc.
I can't imagine anyone's kids in 20 years looking back fondly at mums picasso.
In losing the links to their heritage they've really lost the following they should enjoy with the young generation of motorists.
To be honest they've lost me too.
When my Xantia is no more I shall be moving to other marques.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

elma wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 12:16 Sad but true.
In losing the links to their heritage they've really lost the following they should enjoy with the young generation of motorists.

Maybe Elma but who'd have thought that kids would look back fondly at their dad's Allegro. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 13:09
elma wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 12:16 Sad but true.

Maybe Elma but who'd have thought that kids would look back fondly at their dad's Allegro. :)

Not many do.....and then mostly because it was such a laugh
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Agree with all from both you James, and you Gibbo...

Modern cars inspire no passion or feelings at all.. The Allegro (and Marina) plus all the other stuff about did then because despite their faults they all had character and inspired some love for them.

Cars today are just bland 'white goods' and about as well-loved and characterful as a dishwasher...

This is true of my 207. It's just a car that does a job for me in a simple and competent manner. It has zero character. If it got written-off tomorrow I'd shed no tears and simply replace it with another piece of automotive white goods that will do the job I need of it...

I'd likely replace it with a C1, provided a bike will fit inside it, as that little car is the exception to the general rule. It has character in spades :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

CitroJim wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 13:42 The Allegro (and Marina) plus all the other stuff about did then because despite their faults they all had character and inspired some love for them.

I'd argue that it was the faults of these cars that made them the characters they were. In fact anything through to the back end of the eighties had reliability issues. The computerisation of the car has made it mechanically efficient like it never was to the point whereby when a modern car breaks down it's usually a sensor that's gone down and using a laptop to find the problem just isn't the same as stripping it down at the side of the road.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The most reliable car I had in the eighties was the GS.
Tin worm killed it eventually.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re:

Post by Stickyfinger »

Eddie Nuff wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 19:53
CitroJim wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 13:42 just isn't the same as stripping it down at the side of the road.

To be fair , you only need about 6 spanners and a small socket set for most cars back then :)

I now have a whole garage full of stuff to fix a semi-modern & modern Citroen.....Hex, Torx, Standard Socket, Star Sockets, Deep Sockets, Tiny Torque wrench, Large torque wrench, 5-or 6 types of Lubricants and grease, thread locks, gasket sealants x 3 ....etc etc....etc etc
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Re:

Post by Stickyfinger »

Eddie Nuff wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 19:53
CitroJim wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 13:42 just isn't the same as stripping it down at the side of the road.

To be fair , you only need about 6 spanners and a small socket set for most cars back then :)

I now have a whole garage full of stuff to fix a semi-modern & modern Citroen.....Hex, Torx, Standard Socket, Star Sockets, Deep Sockets, Tiny Torque wrench, Large torque wrench, 5-or 6 types of Lubricants and grease, thread locks, gasket sealants x 3 ....etc etc....etc etc
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

I think the C4 (especially the VTS) has plenty of Citroen quirky character. To start with it looks weird on the outside, looks weird on the inside with the big centrally mounted digital speedo and has weird features such as the steering wheel with a hub that stays put as the wheel goes around it, headlights that look around the corners and my favourite the digital rev counter that changes from glowing orange to red as it hits the 7200 rpm redline! Consequently there is a big following on Bookface "Citroen C4UK" and they make an appearance at many car shows throughout the year. I took mine to 3 or 4 shows last year where there were sometimes 10 C4s in attendance. This year I've not been able to go for various reasons, but the club have all been as usual.
The C2 also has a huge following and also attends lots of events.
I suppose it just depends on which shows you go to.
Attachments
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Stickyfinger wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 20:45 To be fair , you only need about 6 spanners and a small socket set for most cars back then :)

Apart from the fact you should change your username to Fatfinger, considering the balls up you made of assigning the relevant posts, your flippancy is a lot closer to the mark than you realise. An 1/2 inch drive socket set, a combination of metric and AF spanners (with a few Whitworth's thrown in for good measure), flat and posi screwdrivers, and a big screwdriver and hammer - just in case, :wink: and you could do most jobs.

Now you need a fitters van full of tackle before you open the bonnet, and that's worthless if you haven't got the obligatory laptop! :roll:
momag46
(Donor 2020)

Post by momag46 »

Could be worse - I had a Renault 16 that had a kind of tapered diamond screw head that was un-do-able without the proper (read expensive) screw driver.

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia