Mice in the machine??!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Mice in the machine??!

Post by milleplod »

I started my C5 '09 2.0HDi this morning, from cold, and was met with a rather strange noise from the bulkhead area.....just like a mouse or two scrabbling and scratching away behind the dash! :shock: Revving the engine had no effect, the noise went when I switched off....it came back on restarting, and then diminished at tickover over 30 seconds or so.

Any ideas....other than the possibility of it actually being rodents?! :-D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Mice in the machine??!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That just sounds like the flap / gear reduction motors adjusting. They do this on mine after starting and after switching off the engine Pete. You might notice this more if you have the dual zone climate control as they adjust to keep the air flow / temp for each zone.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

As above, prpbabaly just teh whole thing waking up. If you sit in it for a minute or two after you trun ignition off you can hear it go to sleep (it closes the vents when off )

2 other thoughts

We did once have a mouse in our Synergie, must have got in with a garden rubbish tip load. Cured by leaving baited traps in footwells for a few days, got it. Mrs me refused to drive it meantime though so we had to swap cars until it was done.

Similar noise in my C5 (how I miss it..... :( ), turned out to be a leaf in the heater intake. Don't rev the engine, rev the heater fan! Put it on high for a few minutes and see if it sorts it out.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

Thanks for the replies chaps. :)

I've heard the flap and motors noise before, it definitely wasn't that, it was far too 'rattly'. But......the leaf in the heater intake explanation could have hit the nail on the head....it was definitely the sort of noise that you'd expect from that. On popping the bonnet, there were a few old, dry leaves around the bonnet hinge area. Its not done it again, so hopefully that's what it was!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.