Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day..surprise us!

Post by CitroJim »

Not specifically aimed at hydraulic Citroen owners but very appropriate indeed...

Spotted in a Facebook ad...

I love it :D
Shamelessly Nicked From Facebook..
Shamelessly Nicked From Facebook..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have an H-Van T-shirt! But haven't yet got a tea cosy to match...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... 19c3b5.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I adore that tea-cosy Neil :D

No practical use to me as I don't possess a teapot!

A lovely ornament though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

From clothing to home furnishings.....these have no real purpose of course, they are what are known as "Throw Pillows" or "scatter cushions" take your pick. Discerning guests will of course recognise the grill from a Citroen H van, and they could serve the purpose of being an ice breaker conversation piece of course!

https://www.redbubble.com/people/marxbr ... =shop_grid

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I love that cushion Neil... Tempted to get some ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

There are an infinitite variety of images you can get printed on textiles these days....

I quite like these simple images of various old vehicles inc citroen H vans from Wheelsallover on etsy.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/173/1/12035 ... 5_8dcx.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

POTD-The Shipping Forecast 150th Anniversary

Was very impressed today by Kathy Clugston's appearance on Jeremy Vine, and with today being the 150th anniversary of the first shipping forecast, for poseterity here's Kathy in her lovely soft Northern Irish accent presenting the Shipping Forecast.

There are quite a number of people who use the Shipping Forecast for its soporific effect...relaxing and soothing including the theme "Sailing By" written by Ronald Binge (excellent name!)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Brilliant! I listen to it on many occasions. It is so intimate when you are in a caravan on a lochside or in a tent, with the weather howling. I rate it as highly as chants or other types of Yoga therapy. :lol: The atmosphere with candlelight on is amazing. Reading between the lines with a Barometer and the Millibar forecast, the wind direction and strength for your area ( Malin in my case) is usually very accurate for you on these big Lochs.
You won't believe this Neil..................I have a 45rpm single of that tune :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Not as good as "Whispering Bob Harris".....but putting him on a 3am in the morning (with a voice better than sleeping pills) was a bad move from the BBC for the drivers out there !

Last edited by myglaren on 25 Aug 2017, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: POTD-The Shipping Forecast 150th Anniversary

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:02 Was very impressed today by Kathy Clugston's appearance on Jeremy Vine, and with today being the 150th anniversary of the first shipping forecast, for poseterity here's Kathy in her lovely soft Northern Irish accent presenting the Shipping Forecast.

There are quite a number of people who use the Shipping Forecast for its soporific effect...relaxing and soothing including the theme "Sailing By" written by Ronald Binge (excellent name!)

Regards Neil

I love both that old wireless and Kathy Clugston :D

Sadly, since becoming a devotee of BBC 3CR (our local radio station) I never listen to either now...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

POTD Bristol Radio Ham in the news!

Jeremy Vine again.

An amateur radio fanatic operator helped save a girl's life 70 miles away without leaving his home - after hearing her appeals on his kit. Mike Everett intercepted a distress call from a camping party in remote Exmoor in Devon. A 12-year-old girl suffered a severe epileptic fit and needed immediate medical help - but none of the campers had a mobile phone signal. One had brought amateur radio equipment and used it to send out the call, which was transferred to Mike's Bristol home via a transmitter on the Mendip Hills.

Just excellent work from people called upon out of the blue to help with a life or death situation, happily with a good outcome in this instance.

Regards Neil

longer version is here
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 25 Aug 2017, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That was excellent and a good bit of exposure for the amateur radio community but as one myself I do take exception to the term 'fanatic' :twisted:

Enthusiast might have been a little more appropriate for the JV show...

In amateur radio circles we're known as operators and strictly, that should be the correct term to use...

So let's replace 'An amateur radio fanatic helped ...' with 'An amateur radio operator helped ...'

We all have a duty to do the same if we encounter an emergency whilst operating, whatever the circumstance...

Back in the day we had to be proficient in morse when ships used morse to send mayday calls so that we cold effectively respond if need be. That's all history now...

Some radio amateurs also regularly practice emergency communications for deployment during disasters or circumstances when normal communications fail... They are members of a group known as 'Raynet' - as sort of an acronym for Radio Amateurs Emergency Network...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

It is finished!

Regards Neil

(the destruction of the word "fanatic" I mean!)
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 16:53 It is finished!

Regards Neil

(the destruction of the word "fanatic" I mean!)

Wonderful! Thank you Neil, most appreciated :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Guess where AA Box 920 was situated before it got moved to the Motor Museum at Beaulieu, and posted up by by elma on the AA Box thread.

Yes Hollingbourne in Kent of course.

Guess what else is at Hollingbourne?
Hollingbourne Zero Station
In the event of the country becoming occupied during WW2, it would have been the task of the Auxiliary Units Special Duties Organisation to coordinate a sabotage. To aid this, a series of secret dugouts were established in rural areas, these would have radioed information to the cluster Zero Station, which in turn would have reported back to the H.Q. in Hannington, Wiltshire. Zero Stations were operated by women of the ATS, and were built to roughly the same design of a shallow bunker with two rooms and an escape tunnel. Many of these bunkers have collapsed over time, but the one near Hollingbourne in Kent, remains in good condition.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey