P1166 code.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

P1166 code.

Post by milleplod »

Evening all.

Yesterday, my '09 2.0HDi threw up the engine management light and warning hooter (Mrs mp nearly drove off the road in shock, apparently! :shock: ). The car was being driven at around 60mph, she accelerated to overtake a couple of wagons on the local bypass, she doesn't think the gearbox dropped a gear or two, but it may have done.....the light came on more or less at the point she booted it. It drove perfectly on the way home.

Anyway, took it round to my mates, he used his code reader thing, which came up with P1166, nothing else. That seems to be a fuel rail pressure sensor fault....possibly. :? He cleared the code, its never come back, no driving issues at all. Anyone else had this? Does the sensor, if that's what's at fault, throw the odd wobbly when its about to fail? Looking on fleabay etc, they seem readily available, and in the £25 - £75 price range, although I've read that they can be a bit of a pig to change.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: P1166 code.

Post by EDC5 »

When I first got my C5 I remember driving on the motorway and the car hiccuped, just for a split second. and after that the cruise control stopped working until I restarted the engine. It also did this on my second day of ownership.... touch wood it hasn't happened since.

When I got my lexia, I found P1166 had been stored. Something to do with the fuel pressure. I never got the engine warning light though, maybe because the fault was only there for a fraction of a second during the 'hiccup'.

I had a look at the time and some people were suggesting the connection from the sensor to the engine loom can become damaged and to check the wiring first.

I haven't done anything as the cables looked OK and as I say it hasn't happened since and I'd like it to stay that way 8-)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The fuel pressure sensors are generally fairly reliable, before wasting any time or money on it I would replace the fuel filter as a matter of course unless its been changed in the last 5000 miles then take it from there.
milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

wheeler wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 09:17 The fuel pressure sensors are generally fairly reliable, before wasting any time or money on it I would replace the fuel filter as a matter of course unless its been changed in the last 5000 miles then take it from there.

I swapped the filter around 4000 miles ago, can't remember if I used genuine or aftermarket though - will have a look.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I've also changed the fuel filter, nearly ruined the filter housing in the process! Stupid design on the housing if you ask me. Touch wood I won't have any more trouble with the fuel pressure or sensor again.