Dash Cams-Essential Equipment?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Dash Cams-Essential Equipment?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Been a few threads on Dash Cams, but today has seen the profile of them raised sufficiently to become the subject of radio phone-ins.

Operation Snap, pioneered in North Wales, is likely to be copied, or "rolled-out" along similar lines to a police force near you!

Not the best put together video you'll see, but fair enough as a starter for 10.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40998946

General view from callers to Radio Newcastle's phone-in.....dash cams now seen as an essential..and no qualms about shopping dangerous drivers with their footage, and offer some evidence to assist when insurance companies desktop assess claims as "knock for knock" where disputes arise in relation to relative blameworthyness in collisions.

Regards Neil
Other Dash Cam related threads
DVR Dash Cam: recommendation? Power
Dash Cams...
Dash Cams input please
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Dash Cams-Essential Equipment?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think they are a must-have now the technology has become more affordable. I was caught years ago in an accident where the witness turned hostile after the event ( a bull escaped from a local farm, I saw it and stopped the car (my first XM) and pulled over. The bull ran 70 yards and at the last minute decided it wanted to mate with the XM - jumped up onto the bonnet, whilst i ducked under the dash. The 'witness' obviously knew the farmer and changed their story after the event and after telling me not to worry as they saw everything!

So the camera never lies - but works both ways...
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I have mine set up now. I'm considering one for the rear but mounting it will be awkward.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yep I run a DC.............

Please try not to be a DASH CAM WARRIOR...................a lot of the clips I see the DashCamWarrior is a bad driver as well but delights in spouting forth about the clip he/she just "got on the cam"

Also, how do DashCams allow the prosecution of this road user ? :).....maybe register all road users since the police are asking the public to record "offenders"

Last edited by myglaren on 22 Aug 2017, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It will be a cold day in hell when I put a dash cam in the car...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I have a seething hate of anything involving stuff stuck to my windows and especially things that involve cabling all over the dash...the difficulties in installing one invisibly in the car is about the only thing that's stopping me so far.

Biggest reason? The ridiculous rise in blatant cash for crash schemes going on around here. The braking for no reason in lane 3 or 4 coming off a roundabout with no brake lights being the favourite here. Or barging into your lane then doing the above.

Lada and Saab seem to attract them, never had so many issues with the 107, so reckon they target older cars more.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 00:36 I think they are a must-have now the technology has become more affordable. I was caught years ago in an accident where the witness turned hostile after the event ( a bull escaped from a local farm, I saw it and stopped the car (my first XM) and pulled over. The bull ran 70 yards and at the last minute decided it wanted to mate with the XM - jumped up onto the bonnet, whilst i ducked under the dash. The 'witness' obviously knew the farmer and changed their story after the event and after telling me not to worry as they saw everything!

So the camera never lies - but works both ways...

I don't think that's true, carefully clipped a picture story can give two different sides to the same video, an example would be the cop thumping a guy on the ground (police brutality) without showing the first few frames where the guy on the ground was holding a knife at the cop's throat.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Exactly true Gibbo, but as I understand it from the linked article, camera footage must not be edited and the whole journey prior and up to any incident must be uploaded, so that it can be seen in context.

EDIT:
I didn't go into too much detail in my particular incident, but I actually switched my headlights off (it was about 6 in the evening, but still light, but the headlights were on as it was country lanes) after I pulled over so as not to startle the bull - but in the statement quoted by my insurance company, they said that the hostile witness had said I had my lights on and that upset the bull! Had they had dash cams back then, it clearly would have shown my actions to be as I stated. I lost an excess because of that, needing a new bonnet, and paintwork to the wing and a new windscreen as it cracked and split as the bull was splaying it's legs all over the place.

This scheme looks like it is also a way for motorists to report incidents 'for the hell of it'. i.e. I drove home the other afternoon and a young female driver came hurtling down the road near the school which is a 30 mph. I slowed even though I was going uphill - whereas she had the pedal to the metal and nearly scraped me down the side. I noticed as she passed me that she was holding a pink cell phone in her left hand! So according to this scheme, I could of submitted that footage and basically the Police prosecute her for using a mobile and dangerous driving (assuming they choose to do so and checked her phone records / texts at the time recorded on my camera footage).

I think it will make all of us a bit more wary. I just wonder how the insurance companies will view this and whether further discounts will be made if you have these cameras fitted.....

The only concern is if people start blindly uploading things for every minor incursion of the highway code! :roll:

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 09:45 Exactly true Gibbo, but as I understand it from the linked article, camera footage must not be edited and the whole journey prior and up to any incident must be uploaded, so that it can be seen in context.

That could be difficult if most cameras are like the one my daughter bought for me, it records and stops I think every ten/twenty minutes or so, so I have a series of videos that probably wouldn't fit the bill.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's how most of them work Gibbo, they record in time segments, which on some models the recording interval can be set by the driver. However they are still continuous as can be seen from the time and date stamps on the video and from the continuity of the images. So you would submit all the segments of the journey up to an incident. I have a 64 Gb card in mine so provides hours of HD quality segments and also makes it easier to quickly find the appropriate segment as the file names contain the date and time.

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

How do you post those videos on here Marc? I tried the other day but in the end just cut a still out and posted that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The easiest way is to use youtube Gibbo. Sign up fopr a free Google account (unless you already have one) and that includes youtube. You can then use their tools to upload and manage your videos. You then set the privacy options and when they are ready, you'll get a code that you can paste into your post using the full post editor and the youtube tag. insert the video code and not the URL and you are away.

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 08:05 I have a seething hate of anything involving stuff stuck to my windows and especially things that involve cabling all over the dash...

Same here. I only use a sat-nav if I really, really have to... Which is rarely...

Also, I have no stomach for yet another bit of IT equipment to invade and complicate my life...

That said, for high-mileage, regular daily-drivers I can see the point of them in the nasty world we currently live in but for me who uses his car for the occasional potter to work and back and a weekly trip to the supermarket it's more trouble than it's worth...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't know about you, but I have become aware of just how many people now have one or more of these fitted now. Sitting in the lights, I've begun to notice they are everywhere - big brother on wheels.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

My Mum had a near miss. Fortunately she had a dash cam (which I had bought her for Christmas after the accident between the BMW and her Volvo which I mentioned in a different post on this forum) which (if contact HAD been made) would have clearly proven that she was not at fault. When she reviewed the footage she was pleasantly surprised as to how good the footage was.

What happened was that she was driving down a hill in the Birmingham region. There was a van coming up the hill. On the nearside pavement there were a couple of elderly ladies heading up (a couple of hundred yards away), and a young girl (teenager, probably) on the nearside, walking down the hill, and who was closer. For some reason Mum was feeling twitchy. When Mum was close to the teenager (5 - 10 yards or so) this girl (who was busy on her phone, with earphones in), without looking, just stepped out in front of Mum. Mum slammed on her brakes, and did not make contact. This girl, oblivious to all around her, just carried on her way. The van driver pulled over and talked to Mum, and bought her a cup of tea to help steady her nerves down.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!