Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Well Somerset ain't bad, I spent a bit of time at Norton Manor camp and tripped (hiked) into Taunton and back many times. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

This particular image from Geograph, although not a superbly-focussed image, does carry with it a bit of interest in the composition.

Also it illustrates that at 8.00 in a Sainsburys car park, occasionally, camera to the ready, an interesting image can fleetingly present itself :)

Moon over St Mary the Virgin church, Witney

© Copyright Brian Robert Marshall and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 18:33 Just being naughty

Me too...

Gibbo, on your recommendation I'll definitely be up for a cycling tour around there at some point...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Another Yorkshire curiosity, which I came across in a film "Yorkshire Curiosities" as part of NEFA/YFA project available on line.

Chantry Chapel Rotherham Bridge

© Copyright Richard Croft and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

I have mooched around most of Yorkshire on holidays/day trips for years now but many of the things on the film never knew of them or the stories behind them.

The film which lasts around 20 mins or so can be viewed here..

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/fil ... uriosities

Nice shot of a Morris Minor traveller tackling a 1 in 3 hill in the film...
Yorkshire Film Archive Yorkshire Curiosities
Yorkshire Film Archive Yorkshire Curiosities

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Yorkshire Curiosities not capturing the imagination? Let's have a random travel to New Zealand then.....

Dominion Motors have been mentioned twice over the last couple of days on the FCF. We have them appearing in this fetching little video of the Morris 1100 being put through its paces on its Test Track,

and Xantia V6 quoted them today here from "The Dark Side thread"
xantia_v6 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 16:32 A mechanic who worked at the local Dominion Motors BMC agency (and I think owner of a genuine Cooper) would not believe that a BMC engine could reach those revs without self destruction, so test drove the car with his own tachometer fitted to prove the point, and yes, it would rev to about 12,000 RPM. A longer ratio diff from an 1100 was fitted shortly thereafter.

So without further ado here's a couple of pictures of "branches" of Dominion Motors from New Zealand

Dominion Motors Ltd, Wellington. Burt, Gordon Onslow Hilbury, 1893-1968 :Negatives. Ref: 1/2-037194-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/23067385

Dominion Motors showroom, Lower Hutt. Winder, Duncan, 1919-1970 :Architectural photographs. Ref: DW-1150-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/22586122

I have no previous connection or concept of Dominion Motors, but I do find interest in old photos. From a brief look at wiki New Zealand's relative isolation, and relatively low population did/does have an influence on car distribution/assembly/import/ and Dominion Motors were an important player for BMC in New Zealand.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Picture(s) of the day..New Zealand Garages!

Post by xantia_v6 »

I can't find a photo of the Christchurch branch online, but by the time I was noticing such things, I think that the Morris dealership (Dominion Motors) and the Austin dealership (David Crozier) had been merged, so the building I remember which was on the site now occupied by the city art gallery may have been the old Austin dealership.
NewcastleFalcon

...and as a random aside, talking about Dominion and New Zealand for the steam engine enthusiasts

Bittern was renamed Dominion of New Zealand

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and as a random aside, talking about Dominion and New Zealand for the steam engine enthusiasts

Locomotive A4 Pacific Bittern was renamed Dominion of New Zealand for a period in 2011
From wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Clas ... 64_Bittern
During the winter of 2010/2011 the locomotive received maintenance which included the cosmetic renaming and renumbering of the locomotive as scrapped classmate 4492 Dominion of New Zealand (BR number 60013). This conversion also included repainting the locomotive in LNER garter blue, the fitting of Gresley's original side valances (most of the valancing is from when the locomotive was masquerading as 2509 Silver Link) and the painting of its wheels in their original Coronation red colouring.[6] As the original 4492 had a New Zealand Government Railways five-chime whistle fitted shortly after its introduction to service in 1937, a suitable whistle was borrowed from the Glenbrook Vintage Railway in New Zealand.[7]

The original Dominion of New Zealand was one of five A4s named after Commonwealth countries to pull "The Coronation" service, so named to celebrate the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1937.[8] Two of the five "Coronation"-named A4s survive in preservation - 4489 Dominion of Canada at the Canadian Railway Museum in Delson, Quebec, and 60009 Union of South Africa, owned by John Cameron and which makes regular appearances on the main line.

The locomotive was due to remain in this livery for three years,[6] however when 4464 emerged from its winter maintenance in 2012, The locomotive had reverted to its LNER identity as 4464 Bittern in gold leaf lettering.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

xantia_v6 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 21:51 I can't find a photo of the Christchurch branch online, but by the time I was noticing such things, I think that the Morris dealership (Dominion Motors) and the Austin dealership (David Crozier) had been merged, so the building I remember which was on the site now occupied by the city art gallery may have been the old Austin dealership.

ARonline is a tremendous resource covering all sorts of interesting bits of automotive history.

There is quite a lot of detail here in this article titled "Around the World : New Zealand"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day..surprise us!

Someone lob something up please! Doesn't even have to be that interesting or in-focus for that matter.

The thread needs some new inputters.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 13:27 Someone lob something up please! Doesn't even have to be that interesting or in-focus for that matter.

The thread needs some new inputters.

Regards Neil

Here we go Neil, a nice shot of 7828 Odney Manor :)

Best I can do at the moment...
Own Work
Own Work
This remains one of my very favourite pictures...

Bonus points for identifying the station it is just pulling into ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

On the subject of burning coal...
20160620_155615.jpg
Taken at the Peugeot museum last year.

It might actually be a wood-burner, I can't remember.
NewcastleFalcon

Well straight off the top of my head without looking anything up, out came Blue Harbour.....but of course it isn't a range of Marks and Spencer Clothing......its Blue Anchor I should have been thinking of! :-D

Close?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

xantia_v6 wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 15:34 On the subject of burning coal...

20160620_155615.jpg

Taken at the peugeot museum last year.

Yes, that's the sort of stuff. Again straight from the top of the head without research I think GaZoline Magazine had an illustration of such a conversion. Not sure if it was a traction avant under all the paraphernalia of the conversion, but being the Peugeot Museum I suspect not with your pic.

Excellent

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gasogene is the stuff of those conversions, wood or charcoal converted into wood gas to fuel the motors.

Interesting little aside on the gasogene front

https://simanaitissays.files.wordpress. ... =348&h=600

This is the type of gasogene Sherlock Holmes would have used to "carbonate his libations", not exactly the automotive gasogene arrangement, more a bit of bar furniture for producing carbonated water to mix with drinks from tartaric acid and bicarbonate of soda.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey