Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by CitroJim »

This caused a bit of amusement yesterday..

Our duty parkrun Run Director, who doesn't drive, arriving with all the kit needed for the event to proceed in his own one-wheeled vehicle :)
Own Work
Own Work
I did offer to give him and the kit a lift...

I take the Run Director duty occasionally... I use my car to transport the kit though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

[quote=MikeT post_id=544409 time=1501433430 user_id=6590
[/quote]

Not sure if this will suffice? Spotted at Castlepoint car park

Image[/quote]

Course it does Mike welcome back to POTD :-D

First question to spring to mind is, I have no idea where Castlepoint is.....but I will find out :!: :-D

We could be struggling for a bit of collateral interest there Mike because as far as I can tell it's a retail park...and in general they are the worlds most uninteresting and uninspiring places known to man!

On geograph there are 144 images for SZ1194 which is the square kilometre in which Castlepoint is located. Tthe evidence of those images would suggest that apart from the clock, there wasn't a lot to write home about.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Anyone else seen any such place names that raise a chuckle?
Bit late and no pics, but there is a "Flesh Hovel Lane" just outside Barrow on Soar.
Intrigued I looked it up, and....
Flesh Hovel Lane is a road in Barrow Upon Soar, Leicestershire, England. Its name originates from the time of the Quorn Hunt, where horses that were no longer fit for purpose were taken to slaughter and hung at the abattoir situated on Flesh Hovel Lane
:o
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I wasn't aware that Quorns were hunted on horseback.
My vegan daughter will be so disappointed.
NewcastleFalcon

harryp wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 21:38
Bit late and no pics, but there is a "Flesh Hovel Lane" just outside Barrow on Soar.

geograph-3994364-by-Mick-Garratt-1.jpg
Not the most scenic of "Lanes" but not far from Pillings lock which is a bit nicer
Footbridge at Pilling's Lock<br />cc-by-sa/2.0 - © Mat Fascione - geograph.org.uk/p/553182
Footbridge at Pilling's Lock
cc-by-sa/2.0 - © Mat Fascione - geograph.org.uk/p/553182
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Odd names from past UK jaunts include Toys Hill, Bix Bottom, Wyre Piddle, Fulking (careful!), and several Froggy Lanes.
Chris
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 20:23
We could be struggling for a bit of collateral interest there Mike because as far as I can tell it's a retail park...and in general they are the worlds most uninteresting and uninspiring places known to man!

On geograph there are 144 images for SZ1194 which is the square kilometre in which Castlepoint is located. Tthe evidence of those images would suggest that apart from the clock, there wasn't a lot to write home about.

Regards Neil

:shock: The tourer was my interest of course but the retail park does have some contentious history over it's corner-cutting construction resulting in most of the underground car park needing temporary support trusses... and it's been like this for years while the various parties (insurance and contractors etc) argue over responsibilities. Best part about that, and it's a biggie round here, is it's free parking. :lol:
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There was a place in Worcestershire I used to pass through regularly called Suckley....the local vandals frequently changed the le to an m. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Passed through Jack's Bush on my way home from holiday...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Earlier this month POTD did feature Crapham Bottom......
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 08:28 Nice bit of title work here, which I have to say would have been food and drink for Malcolm! ...

Sheep at Crapham Bottom

© Copyright Oast House Archive and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Was looking for a pic of the clock at "The Hampshire Centre" (is it still called that?) . then Southhampton Civic Clock Tower came up on the image list, then other clock towers came up, and bingo up came this....yes another of those rare gems...a red-faced public clock!

Its From the University of Harvard in the USA

Dunster House [CC BY-SA 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], by Margaret Maloney (Mdmalon at en.wikipedia), from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, that is gorgeous, utterly gorgeous :)

As my ability to read long screeds of text continues to deteriorate I'm beginning to appreciate pictures ever more and really starting to get into photography...

Expect a lot more from me over the coming months and hopefully my skill will improve as time goes by...

I shall start re-reading my Tintin books soon as they're good stories and largely told in pictures :)
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Who has been going around the country telling various clocks dirty jokes? They are getting embarrassed!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 16:34 Who has been going around the country telling various clocks dirty jokes? They are getting embarrassed!

Howls at that! James, that is your best yet :rofl2:

My brain must be getting itself back together as I got that one immediately... Excellent :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 15:52 I'm beginning to appreciate pictures ever more and really starting to get into photography...

Expect a lot more from me over the coming months and hopefully my skill will improve as time goes by...

That's great Jim, I would encourage others to follow your lead, and become regular participants on POTD. I enjoy just the randomness of the images posted up coming from lots of different sources......I get bored with my own from time to time and fresh input is always welcome.
CitroJim wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 15:52 I shall start re-reading my Tintin books soon as they're good stories and largely told in pictures :)

Talking about that, The Billy Joel song "We didn't start the fire" was on the radio and it could be the only song ever written whose lyrics include (edit) with suitable poetic licence almost the title of a Tintin book. :!: :!: :-D

but...what is it?

Regards Neil

PS never appreciated it before but the song itself is a complete tour de force innovatively put together lyricallly and musically (although according to Wiki Billy himself regarded the "melody" on its own "It's really not much of a song....If you take the melody by itself, terrible. Like a dentist drill."). Its going up on the PE Jukebox today in the "anything you fancy" category :-D
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 31 Jul 2017, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey