Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

User avatar
van ordinaire
donor 2017
Posts: 1451
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 14:45

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by van ordinaire » 29 Jul 2017, 23:28

MikeT wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 10:18
CitroJim wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 09:14

What? Think you may have the wrong thread Van ;)


The problem with multi-topics in single threads Jim. My fault :-D
Thanks Mike, for a moment I was beginning to doubt my own sanity - but, of course, you can't easlily cross quote between threads!

Nevvie's Corsa quote is priceless - even though I wouldn't agree with him.

Doesn't "John's Cheapo Cheapo Motors" have a branch in Christchurch?

Loads of £500 max. Saxos, AX's, ZX's, Zsaras & small Pugs on eBay!

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 40823
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jul 2017, 07:43

van ordinaire wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 23:12
Hell Razor5543 wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 10:33
I guess that (in light of how your holiday appears to have helped you) your major decision is to move down to the New Forest area?


Funny that, the selfsame thought crossed my mind.


Yes, the holiday helped enormously, it allowed me time to focus my mind on some very important long-term life decisions.

No, not moving to the New Forest - That's for holidays ;) I do have plans to move south but a lot further west ;)

It won't happen just yet but certainly it will; I need to get to a warmer part of the UK without actually leaving the UK...

elma
Posts: 3745
Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by elma » 30 Jul 2017, 11:38

Thats really good to hear Jim.
You should holiday a lot more often if you can.
Clearly it was just what you needed and the girls deserve a big hug for making it happen.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 40823
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jul 2017, 11:51

elma wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 11:38
You should holiday a lot more often if you can.
That will happen as for the first time time ever I'm really missing being on holiday and down in Highcliffe :( Going on a training run around Newport Pagnell is just not the same as a run along the cliffs and beaches of the south coast... It was good to enjoy parkrun yesterday but apart from that, being 'back to normal' is holding very little appeal so far... That's a good sign - it shows I'm well up for going away on holiday and getting away from it all every now and again - that holiday did me a world of good...

elma wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 11:38
Clearly it was just what you needed and the girls deserve a big hug for making it happen.


It was and they do :D They will get one too.. I'm taking the girls out to lunch tomorrow :)

User avatar
MikeT
Posts: 4376
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by MikeT » 30 Jul 2017, 12:32

van ordinaire wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 23:28
MikeT wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 10:18
CitroJim wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 09:14

What? Think you may have the wrong thread Van ;)


The problem with multi-topics in single threads Jim. My fault :-D
Thanks Mike, for a moment I was beginning to doubt my own sanity - but, of course, you can't easlily cross quote between threads!

Nevvie's Corsa quote is priceless - even though I wouldn't agree with him.

Doesn't "John's Cheapo Cheapo Motors" have a branch in Christchurch?

Loads of £500 max. Saxos, AX's, ZX's, Zsaras & small Pugs on eBay!


I got a text from nephew to tell me he's bought a Focus and "it drives really well". Saga over, hopefully. [-o<

User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2016
Posts: 2752
Joined: 17 Nov 2014, 00:36

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by Zelandeth » 30 Jul 2017, 12:49

Focus isn't a bad car, so long as it hasn't dissolved. About as exciting as a grey pair of trousers, but there's a reason that they're everywhere. ...which makes getting parts trivial.

elma
Posts: 3745
Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by elma » 30 Jul 2017, 12:55

Zelandeth wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 12:49
Focus isn't a bad car, so long as it hasn't dissolved. About as exciting as a grey pair of trousers, but there's a reason that they're everywhere. ...which makes getting parts trivial.

But it's a Ford and will need parts all the time, then the same parts again a few weeks later.
My brother had a 3 year old one that was an ex disability car and on the face of it was mint.
It had 20 years worth of rust underneath and everything plastic snapped if you looked at it, especially the lock barrels.
I hated the damn thing and I hated fixing it even more.
It was the second and last Ford in my care.
I get harassed to fix my labourers new Puma, I just smile and give him the auto trader website on my phone.
I sincerely hope it's an in-between car for your nephews sake.

User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2016
Posts: 2752
Joined: 17 Nov 2014, 00:36

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by Zelandeth » 30 Jul 2017, 13:09

I had a 1993 Fiesta for a while after the first Skoda was written off. £250 "I need wheels yesterday" type of car. Needed a couple of parts, though they were so trivially cheap even from the dealer (the £12 sump and £2 rocker cover gaskets stick in my mind). Doubt that's the case these days mind you. Other thing I remember was how surprisingly comfortable it was for a small car, had the most ridiculously soft velour on the seats - even if they were a pain to keep clear of cat hair.

The early 2000s cars across-the-board were shocking for rust though, on a similar level to BMC vehicles from the 70s/80s. Sounds like they got it under control after a while, but obviously the reputation damage was done by then.

elma
Posts: 3745
Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by elma » 30 Jul 2017, 13:22

I know how much you loved that Fiesta so I'm going to treat it as an honorary PSA rather than a Ford.

I can't remember the year of my brothers, all I know is that it's still on the road (new owner) and costs about £1000 every year at mot time.

My only Ford was an Escort, I drove it for 2 days then went back to cycling. A month later I bought my first Xantia, the Escort was left parked up and forgotten about for a couple of years until someone decided they wanted to buy it.

User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 14500
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 14:30

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by myglaren » 30 Jul 2017, 14:30

elma wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 12:55
Zelandeth wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 12:49
Focus isn't a bad car, so long as it hasn't dissolved. About as exciting as a grey pair of trousers, but there's a reason that they're everywhere. ...which makes getting parts trivial.

But it's a Ford and will need parts all the time, then the same parts again a few weeks later.
My brother had a 3 year old one that was an ex disability car and on the face of it was mint.
It had 20 years worth of rust underneath and everything plastic snapped if you looked at it, especially the lock barrels.
I hated the damn thing and I hated fixing it even more.
It was the second and last Ford in my care.
I get harassed to fix my labourers new Puma, I just smile and give him the auto trader website on my phone.
I sincerely hope it's an in-between car for your nephews sake.

My youngest has a '52 Fiesta and hates it (but less than she hated the Clio and 104).
Very rarely a problem with it and she clocks up a lot of miles.
Last thing was a wheel bearing that could have killed her on a trip to Manchester - a week after MOT man said it was fine :evil:
She likes bigger cars - had two SAABs and a Rover 75 that she loved and will be getting something similar when finances allow.
May be a while as she bought a house last week.

elma
Posts: 3745
Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by elma » 30 Jul 2017, 14:42

Sounds to me like you brought up a girl with good taste although the Rover is questionable.

User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2016
Posts: 4558
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 19:45

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by daviemck2006 » 30 Jul 2017, 15:23

I have owned a few fords, and thpe only one I really liked was a mk1 mondeo 1.8 in the lowly lx trim. Every other one has either been unreliable or drank far more fuel than I thought they should, or disintegrated into a pile of rust. My friend has a 2007 focus, its ok to drive, but the front wings and rear arches are almost non existent because of rust, and looking under it I would think it eill struggle for a new MOT

User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2016
Posts: 2752
Joined: 17 Nov 2014, 00:36

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by Zelandeth » 30 Jul 2017, 15:23

Rover 75 is always worth consideration if you like bigger comfy motors, have you seen how cheap they've got? Heck of a lot of car for the money.

User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 14500
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 14:30

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by myglaren » 30 Jul 2017, 16:19

elma wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 14:42
Sounds to me like you brought up a girl with good taste although the Rover is questionable.


We used to regularly swap cars as I had a C5 estate at the time.
I quite liked the Rover :)
Hers was the Connoisseur trim and very comfortable, nice place to be.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 40823
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jul 2017, 16:54

I've had two Fords in my time... A MKII Fiesta - bland and anonymous but that's why I had it as it lived most if its time with me at MK Railways Station when I worked in London...

The second was a 2.0 Sierra with the DOHC Pinta engine... Biggest pile of junk ever... Rubbish in every respect... The Chavalier that followed it was a far superior car in every possible way.

In fact the Chavalier was an excellent car despite being a Poxhall!