Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by RichardW »

Foxton locks ought to be a reasonable day out on your Bike Jim:

http://www.goleicestershire.com/outdoors/foxton.aspx

An amazing flight of locks - I've locked through it once and helped someone else another day, great fun!
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Re: POTD..Clock Special-The Red Clock list

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Red clock tally goes up by 1 :!:
Red Church Clocks
St Andrews, Fife , Scotland St Salvator's Chapel University of St Andrews
Brancaster, Norfolk, England St Mary The Virgin
Lower Dunsforth North Yorkshire, England St Mary's Church. Lower Dunsforth North Yorkshire.
Broughton, Northamptonshire, England St Andrews Parish Church
Cranfield, Bedfordshire, England Church of St Peter and St Paul
Barwick in Elmet, West Yorkshire, England All Saints Chirch
N.Falcon Own Work Barwick In Elmet Leedsish west Yorkshire just off A1M 20th July 2017
N.Falcon Own Work Barwick In Elmet Leedsish west Yorkshire just off A1M 20th July 2017
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 12:32 Foxton locks ought to be a reasonable day out on your Bike Jim:

Definitely :D That is on my radar ;) They remind me of the Caen Lock Flight just south of Devizes in Wiltshire...

Lovely red clock face Neil :)

Got a couple more plain old black-faced church clocks today and also bagged this modern and rather busy fingerpost...
Own Work
Own Work
Very useful if you're a cyclist on fire :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Today's mundane POTD offering from me is..

..a pencil sharpener designed by a Frenchman

The same Frenchman who designed the rather lovely Studebaker Avanti discussed over on this thread Classic car Spring/Summer Collection-2017

Here's a pic of him standing on one of his other creations

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I much prefer a nice British 'Spam Can' over a pencil sharpener any day ;)
Via Pinterest
Via Pinterest
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Surely there's no comparison....

Random, not very interesting number fact of the day.... when I worked in Reading my extension was 4468 - check out the Loco number above! Now, that is really sad: I left 16 years ago and can still remember both works ID and extension number; although the latter has something to do with Mallard I think!!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh yes, that's lovely Richard :D

I put up a Spam Can to keep the locomotive nick-name theme going...

Can't think the A4 Pacific family ever had a nick-name as the Bullied Merchant Navy Class did...

How about this for a lovely streamliner :D
Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons
Almost as lovely as a Spam Can in Malachite Green....
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

RichardW wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 07:20
Random, not very interesting number fact of the day....

Not at all Richard. :-D I lap that sort of thing up to the extent of purposely achieving a display of a milometer at 123456 and a tripometer at 7890 on the Vectra.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 05:42 I much prefer a nice British 'Spam Can' over a pencil sharpener any day ;)

When are you going to give that French guy Raymond Loewy a break Jim...you don't like his cars, you don't like his pencil sharpener, and you dont like his locomotive.....but he did plenty other stuff even if we have to get down to the coldspot fridge!

How about his Coach? Yet another US Icon the Sceniccruiser

London Bus Museum Transportfest 2013 022 (10383676926) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], by MANHATTAN RESEARCH INC (MANHATTAN RESEARCH INC) from S E A T T L E , S E A T T L E, from Wikimedia Commons

Not sure if I like that one much :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If it's trains you want, I can do trains. :) from the Baltimore rail museum. I've got a lot of pictures from my last trip in Sept/Oct 2015
Attachments
IMGP1207.JPG
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The bus is not too bad Neil, one of his better works but it still doesn't set me on fire... To be honest, very little Yank stuff does...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 10:45 If it's trains you want, I can do trains. :) from the Baltimore rail museum. I've got a lot of pictures from my last trip in Sept/Oct 2015

The Americans do/did do locomotives a bit different from the UK. Raymond Loewy (a Frenchman who also designed the gorgeous Studebaker Avanti :!: :!: :-D as FCF devotees know all too well) again had input to this electric locomotive of the Pennsylvania Railroad Class GG1. Its a bit of a brute but enhanced by a decent paint job....the stripes make all the difference.

The Congressional Pennsylvania Railroad [Public domain], by Association of American Railroads (railroad trade organization)-photo is from the Pennsylvania Railroad. (eBay item
photo front
photo back), from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 11:02 The bus is not too bad Neil, one of his better works but it still doesn't set me on fire... To be honest, very little Yank stuff does...

Lukewarm is good enough for me Jim, I'll not bother with his fridge!! :-D

You do see one of his designs from 1971 plastered all over filling stations across the UK.

Its so well integrated with the company that the company name doesn't appear any more. It's a stylised yellow mollusc, with a red surround.

I did come across Apple's first logo, which pretty soon got ditched because as logo's go, it failed on virtually every quality of branding required of a modern corporate logo.

Its here....not one of our friend Raymond's I may add :)

http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uplo ... e-logo.jpg

Regards Neil

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 12:34Its a bit of a brute but enhanced by a decent paint job....the stripes make all the difference.

Maybe what inspired the stripes on the prototype Deltic perhaps?
English Electric Archive
English Electric Archive
A very handsome brute in pale blue :D

It was a shame they toned down the production models :(
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 12:46 I did come across Apple's first logo, which pretty soon got ditched because as logo's go, it failed on virtually every quality of branding required of a modern corporate logo.
I like that a lot 8-) Shame it's not still in use...

Surprised he's responsible for the iconic Shell logo! It's what I love about the FCF, it's an education :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 13:29 Surprised he's responsible for the iconic Shell logo! It's what I love about the FCF, it's an education :D
The Shell, shell logo has been around for over a century, our friend's Industrial design outfit no doubt got paid an awful lot for a mild tinkering with the logo in 1971, to the simplified form we see today. The original shell is reputed to come from the coat of arms of a Scotsman, and the colours from the red and yellow Scottish Standard flag.
from. http://www.logodesignlove.com/shell-log ... -evolution

Both the word “Shell” and the pecten symbol may have been suggested to Marcus Samuel and Company (original founders) by another interested party. A certain Mr Graham (of apparent Scottish origins) imported Samuel’s kerosene into India and sold it as ‘Graham’s Oil’. He became a director of The Shell Transport and Trading Company, and there is some evidence that the Shell emblem was taken from his family coat of arms.

......An alternative idea about the Shell colours was that Mr Graham, the Scottish director, suggested using red and yellow, as they form the basis for the Royal Standard of Scotland.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey