Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: Picture(s) of the day..Clock Special

Post by van ordinaire »

Funny, I would've thought that was the one thing you would remember.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

bobins wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 21:57 Not wanting to hijack the clock special thread - but as a comparison to the Tyne tunnel.... I give you the Elbe tunnel in Hamburg !
..and through the magic of you tube we can all go and visit it for 3 minutes! Surely thats got to be reserved just for cyclists and pedestrians, although if I got the right page on wiki it claimed that "In 2008 approx 300,000 cars, 63,000 bicycles and 700,000 pedestrians used the tunnel."

CitroJim wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 16:57 I took many more churches, many with clocks, and they can be viewed in one of my Flickr Albums
Quite a gallery there for one afternoon's bike ride! Lots of different architectural styles, and clocks. Its quite fascinating what a rarity the "red church Clock Face" is-only 6 so far, and now you know its there, whenever you pass Cranfield you will be drawn to notice it.

Your next nearest can be accessed by National Cycle Route 6 with a minor turn off to reach Broughton Northamptonshire (the one in the vicinity of Kettering). Would be more than a bit of a marathon, or two but good training for your upcoming Steeplechase if you go for the "Epic" or the "Standard" in the Wiggle!.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Bobins, I love tunnels :D So no worries on the hijack!

Neil, I'm doing the 'standard' in the Wiggle Steeplechase... Always looking for new rides though ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Re: POTD..Clock Special-The Red Clock list

So to conclude "clock special" the final tally so far for "Red Church Clocks in the United Kingdom is this....
Red Church Clocks
St Andrews, Fife , Scotland St Salvator's Chapel University of St Andrews
Brancaster, Norfolk, England St Mary The Virgin
Lower Dunsforth North Yorkshire, England St Mary's Church. Lower Dunsforth North Yorkshire.
Broughton, Northamptonshire, England St Andrews Parish Church
Cranfield, Bedfordshire, England Church of St Peter and St Paul
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 16:57 Went on a short and very gentle (slow) bike ride today, armed with a picnic and a camera...

Whaddon Church - A village with a lot of WWII code-breaking history:

A tenuous link coming up - so be prepared...... :-D

From Wikipedia: "During World War II Whaddon Hall served as headquarters of Section VIII (Communications) of MI6, under the command of Brigadier Richard Gambier-Parry. The "Station X" wireless interception function was transferred here from Bletchley Park in February 1940. That facility served in a number of capacities, the most critical the sending of Ultra intelligence from Bletchley Park to officers in the field."

So where am I going with this post ? Two stations down the road is the answer.... :)
I give you - "Station Z" : the old Air Ministry site under the old Kodak buildings.
Station Z - own work
Station Z - own work
Station Z - Own work
Station Z - Own work

And yep, you don't need to tell me, they're not very enthralling pictures :rofl2: In my defence, I never said this post would be interesting :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by CitroJim »

Bobins. I always enjoy your pictures, always on subjects close to my heart :)

keep 'em coming ;)
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 16:03 So to conclude "clock special" the final tally so far for "Red Church Clocks in the United Kingdom is this....
That's not many. I'm surprised...

Wonder how many blue ones there are - bright blue ones as per North Crawley?

Out on my travels again today and found a very old milestone in Milton Keynes...
Own Work
Own Work
Odd and out of place in a new city perhaps until you realise it's on the old Roman Watling Street and the former A5... It's now just a city grid road but shockingly busy...

Also found this rather lovely suspension footbridge across the Grand Union Canal near Wolverton...
Own Work
Own Work
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 17:33
A tenuous link coming up - so be prepared...... :-D

From Wikipedia: "During World War II Whaddon Hall served as headquarters of Section VIII (Communications) of MI6, under the command of Brigadier Richard Gambier-Parry. The "Station X" wireless interception function was transferred here from Bletchley Park in February 1940. That facility served in a number of capacities, the most critical the sending of Ultra intelligence from Bletchley Park to officers in the field."

So where am I going with this post ? Two stations down the road is the answer.... :)
I give you - "Station Z" : the old Air Ministry site under the old Kodak buildings.

And yep, you don't need to tell me, they're not very enthralling pictures :rofl2: In my defence, I never said this post would be interesting :lol:

I'm getting worried now....where on earth has "Station Y" gone :!: :!: :-D

Edit....Its coming back I'm sure the "Y" stations have had an airing here and there will be a few of them! Yes I thought there was a Northern Ireland Connection too.....one of Jim's deposits in the Pickled Egg Library

The Spies at Gilnahirk

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 17:41 Bobins. I always enjoy your pictures, always on subjects close to my heart :)

keep 'em coming ;)

A few just for Jim -

Ever used these in a former life, Jim ?
Mekon racks - Own work
Mekon racks - Own work

This is what a COMMCEN ends up looking like if you forget to Hoover it......
COMMCEN - Own work
COMMCEN - Own work
If you zoom in to the above picture, you'll start to see large plastic bags amongst the detritus. Each one of those bags contains a tlelprinter :shock:

Bit too far gone even for your talents, Jim ??? :-D
444 - Own work
444 - Own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 19:45 I'm getting worried now....where on earth has "Station Y" gone :!: :!: :-D

I know where at least one was... I've been slaving there all my working life ;)
bobins wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 20:51
Bit too far gone even for your talents, Jim ??? :-D
P1070416.JPG
Happy memories Bobins :D

Give me a few and I bet I could get at least one going ;)

I still miss my teleprinters; proper electro-mechanical ones that is!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

You can't stop the hands of time, Clock Special has come and gone so what next

How about a "Where's this clock then without examining the Uniform Resource Locator?"

Church clock [Public domain], by Martinevans123, from Wikimedia Commons

We've been there, think Laurie Lee and you are not far away, and its famous for its Yew Trees.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a gorgeous one Neil!

Is it a town clock?

My old home town of Langport in Somerset has a town clock above the old town hall:
Borrowed from carryonlangport.blogspot.com
Borrowed from carryonlangport.blogspot.com
My adopted home town has one too:
Borrowed from geograph.org.uk
Borrowed from geograph.org.uk
This one is not original. It is a new one and only around ten years old... It keeps rotten time... I know as I run past it most mornings...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 07:53 That's a gorgeous one Neil!

Is it a town clock?

It's a church clock, not exactly red-faced but a nice red border. Bit up from Langport, and considerably down and across from Newcastle :-D

Nice Town Clocks probably bit of a relic now of times gone by when the provision of clocks was all part of a public service.

I didn't find this one in St Andrews so not sure if it is still there, (or indeed if the TSB still exists!), but must have been provided by the bank at some stage. Nice clock though.

http://www.saint-andrews.info/clocks/cl ... 0small.jpg

http://www.saint-andrews.info/clocks/cl ... 0small.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I hail originally from Whitby. On the east cliff is the Church of St. Mary - casually referred to as The Abbey - it isn't but they are close to one another.
It can be seen from most of the town so it isn't hard to find the time.
Wikimedia image
Wikimedia image
I was working way out of town, right up the Esk valley but on very high ground, in a bungalow.
There was a pair of Ross WD binoculars there, stand mounted, that he come from a submarine.
The church was barely visible from my location but through the binoculars the clock was as easy to read as my wristwatch. Needless to say I was quite taken with them.
The owner of the bungalow also drove the first Porsche 911 I had seen. Didn't know what I was looking at at the time.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a very atmospheric picture Steve, I like it a lot :D
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have loads of my own but finding them could take days.

It was odd to see the black face as I always thought it was blue (haven't seen it for a long time)
I was probably thinking of the town hall clock.
J. G. Harston.  Taken from &quot;Vote UK&quot; forum.
J. G. Harston. Taken from "Vote UK" forum.
Dismal town hall now used as a craft market. Built 1788 but abandoned 1900.