Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I never had an Instamatic, mine was much older, a Kodak with a viewfinder on top under a lid, it took photos about an inch and a quarter square. Can't think what its number was.
Attachments
Kodak Brownie.jpg
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

spent an hour here this afternoon watching the antics of the brave. :)
http://www.ndac.co.uk
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Nice places to stop off at....Brief Encounter.

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Nice places to stop off at are particularly nice if they come in the category "Interesting and Free". Add unlikely and surprising to the adjectives and you are on to a winner. :-D

So here's a little place that most M6 travellers through Lancashire will just fly past and never bother stopping off at, other than maybe pulling in at nearby Truckhaven, or Burton in Kendal services in preference...(er...no comparison in my opinion)

Enough of the suspense....It's Carnforth and what has it got.....a very nice Booths Supermarket for lunch, an excellent second-hand bookshop....and a station with an iconic clock, and refereshment room

Carnforth Station Clock - geograph.org.uk - 642321 [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], by Stephen McKay, from Wikimedia Commons

Its all nicely interpreted in the free heritage centre in the station buildings on the platform.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As a keen horologist, I love that clock :D

The directions to platform 1 seem a bit confused and unsure of themselves...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The home of 'Brief Encounter' Neil.

I was up there in 1955 doing my compulsory TA fortnight at Cark and Cartmel.
Last edited by Gibbo2286 on 16 Jul 2017, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
NewcastleFalcon

The pianist who played Rackmaninov to such great effect in the film was Eileen Joyce from Tasmania as it turns out and a brilliant pianist. Yes strange that, the very same surname as the Clock makers...what are the chances of that happening?

...and here's a wiki link to J.B. Joyce and Company originally of Whitchurch Shropshire who do claim to be the oldest clockmaker in the World!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Joyce_%26_Co

Now I love a bit of British Pathe film, and this brief couple of minutes features Eileen Joyce and does have a bit of old fashioned bicycling, (and tricycling! reminding me of my infancy!)

I enjoyed it!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 17 Jul 2017, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 08:37 The home of 'Brief Encounter' Neil.

I was up their in 1955 doing my compulsory TA fortnight at Cark and Cartmel.

We've just been on a little holiday staying at Grange-Over-Sands, exploring that bit of the world. Cartmel is lovely with the racecourse bang in the middle of the village...beautiful setting!

You wonder why they chose Carnforth for the film, but surprisingly it ticked a few boxes for the filmmakers. It is a mainline station as well as having local traffic across to Barrow/ Morecambe etc, and was away from the east coast/major conurbations and possible air raids.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 17 Jul 2017, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

St Andrews in Fife undoubtedly comes into the category of nice places to stop off at and not just because it has a church with a red clock as featured on Pictures of the Day Clock Special!

Researching the "Clock", I came across this site which really goes to town in recording the overlooked but to me fascinating minutiae of St Andrews. Here's some of the elements it covers and each has its own set of images...
from http://www.saint-andrews.info/home.html
Screen shot http://www.saint-andrews.info/home.html
Screen shot http://www.saint-andrews.info/home.html
Anyone tempted by knockers or manholes :?: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 08:24 Anyone tempted by knockers or manholes :?: :-D

No, but old road signs do... I'm soon to resume my photography of interesting examples I see out on my two-wheeled travels...

How about this one to kick us off?
Own Work
Own Work
The location of this one, in the village of Mursley in Bucks is quite a nice place to stop off in its own right...

The pub enjoys a good repulation and the countryside is stunning...

It's also very near a well-known rally site too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 08:49
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 08:24 Anyone tempted by knockers or manholes :?: :-D

No, but old road signs do... I'm soon to resume my photography of interesting examples I see out on my two-wheeled travels...
Here's a sign you may be interested in from that St Andrews site

http://www.saint-andrews.info/signs/ctc%20small.jpg

and far be it from me to send you on a literal "steeplechase" Jim but this "Red Clock" is well within cycling distance of Newport Pagnell if you fancy a change of scenery!! (edit-just noticed your reply on POTD Jim....looks like you have cycled past it a few times already!)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.06844 ... 312!8i6656

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 16 Jul 2017, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'll be riding to Cranfield later today on the way to somewhere a bit more scenic Neil but your mention of a steeplechase is something I'll be doing very soon over in Cambridgeshire ;)

The Wiggle Steeplechase Sportive...

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/event ... -sportive/

Looking forward to it; I'll take my camera ;)
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 09:30 I'll be riding to Cranfield later today on the way to somewhere a bit more scenic Neil but your mention of a steeplechase is something I'll be doing very soon over in Cambridgeshire ;)

The Wiggle Steeplechase Sportive...

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/event ... -sportive/

Looking forward to it; I'll take my camera ;)

I hope that you don't fall off your bike jumping all the hedges and fences, Jim. :D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 09:38

I hope that you don't fall off your bike jumping all the hedges and fences, Jim. :D
[/quote]

:rofl2: Good job I wasn't drinking tea when I read that James!!!!

Otherwise my keyboard would be very wet :lol:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Lets start off with a holiday snap....
L Falcon own work Culross 15th July 2017
L Falcon own work Culross 15th July 2017
I rather liked the pattern on these little "sets" which paved the little lanes in Culross, Fife, Bonnie Scotland. The picture should assist if I get the urge to copy it.

Culross is in a bit of Scotland which most visitors in general pass by. It's on the North side of the Firth of Forth inbetween the Forth Bridges and the Kincardine Bridge. It has a rather nice view of the Grangemouth Oil Refinery over the other side of the water. It gets more visitors than it used to, although in itself it is a nice little place, because it now appears as a location in "Outlander" a TV Programme.

Over the bridge and down towards Falkirk you are greeted by the huge Kelpies

The Kelpies, at The Helix, Scotland [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Beninjam200 (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

...and then there is a little gem if you like railways at the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway. Yes, it's nice to stand next to a class 37 in blue humming and droning away next to you in the drizzle, but it also has a second hand "book shop" in a couple of carriages. Just the sort I like. Piled high in a haphazard way with all manner of books, magazines, pamphlets and cheap too! 10 mags for a £1 etc. There was an interesting little book from a car hire firm from Lothian Road in Edinburgh with pictures and descriptions of their chaufferred tours in the twenties at £3....fascinating!

Onwards and nice views of the 3 Bridges from the road heading towards Queensferry. The new one is due to open on August 30th 2017.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 17 Jul 2017, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

You're seeing some cracking stuff on your holiday Neil...

Love the cobbles...

Hope to get some good snaps during my New Forest holiday next week...
Jim