Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day..Clock Special

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Couple of Clocks from our travels.

Friday in South Queensferry.......The blue stuff and the fluffy white clouds were a bonus!
L.Falcon own work 14th July 2017
Friday in St Andrews St Salvatore's Chapel.....A red-faced clock no less, only 2 or three of these so far found in the UK. Blue-faced clocks on Church Clocks should be more common as apparently....

"King Henry VII ordered that clock faces on churches should be "blew with the signs upon them gilt".

Are there any red-faces or blue faces on Church/Public clocks near you...join in and post them up!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Quite remarkably, yet another unbelievable coincidence, this church also has a red clock face....

..and, "Where is it?" you may ask.

Its at Brancaster, Norfolk, which is totally and well-deservedly famous in FCF circles for having one of the 19 Roadside AA Boxes remaining in the United Kingdom. :-D

St Mary the Virgin Brancaster Norfolk [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], by Russ Hamer (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil

PS I have only found a very small handful so far of other church clocks in the UK with a red faces. Here's is one of them, St Mary's Church, Lower Dunsforth North Yorkshire.

St Mary's Church, Lower Dunsforth - geograph.org.uk - 547953 [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], by Bill Henderson (From geograph.org.uk), from Wikimedia Commons
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I love church clocks, especially if they have a nice set of chimes :D

I should ho an get a picture of our church clock. If I can recover enough today I'll try and walk across the meadow and do so...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

POTD..Clock Special-The Red Clock list

So how rare are Red Church Clocks? This is the list of ones I have come across
Red Church Clocks
St Andrews, Fife , Scotland St Salvator's Chapel University of St Andrews
Brancaster, Norfolk, England St Mary The Virgin
Lower Dunsforth North Yorkshire, England St Mary's Church. Lower Dunsforth North Yorkshire.
Broughton, Northamptonshire, England St Andrews Parish Church

Broughton spire, Northants [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], by Dr Steven Plunkett (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons
Rarer than an AA Roadside Box :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Yes and here's another one from Cranfield Bedfordshire the Church of St Peter and St Paul.

Interestingly, its chimes were the subject of this article in the Daily Mail in 2007.....

After 300 years, village 'newcomers' silence church clock chimes

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I know Cranfield church very well Neil... Cranfield features in many of my bike rides. It's a lovely place... Never noticed the church clock had a red face though... I'll be looking out for them now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Went on a short and very gentle (slow) bike ride today, armed with a picnic and a camera...

My photography theme was churches with clocks mainly...

Pick of the ones are this blue face in North Crawley
Own Work - North Crawley Church
Own Work - North Crawley Church
Cranfield again but from a different angle:
Own Work - Cranfield Church
Own Work - Cranfield Church
Whaddon Church - A village with a lot of WWII code-breaking history:
Own Work - Whaddon Church
Own Work - Whaddon Church
And my own home town church... Very hard to get a good shot of it as the trees obscure most angles...
Own Work - Newport Pagnell Church
Own Work - Newport Pagnell Church
I took many more churches, many with clocks, and they can be viewed in one of my Flickr Albums

Finally, many villages in Bedfordshire have these signs, erected in 1951 to celebrate and pay tribute to the Festival of Britain...
Own Work - FoB Village Sign
Own Work - FoB Village Sign
A nice touch I think and rather special...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Now that is a fantastic set...almost Church Clock Snooker......Red, Blue, Black.

To cap it all you have an Octagonal Blue on your doorstep!

Brilliant!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased you enjoyed it Neil... I thoroughly enjoyed the ride to get them ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Festival of Britain in 1951

Tyne Cyclist and Pedestrian Tunnel was Britain's first purpose-built cycling tunnel. It runs under the River Tyne between Howdon and Jarrow, and was opened in 1951, heralded as a contribution to the Festival of Britain. ... The tunnels are over 60 years old and are Grade II listed buildings.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-J25vgelpnqI/U ... 0%2529.jpg

Tyne Pedestrian and Cycle Tunnel [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], by MapsMan at English Wikipedia (Self-photographed), from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! I was hoping my mention of the Festival of Britain might lead to something and you've not disappointed Neil... Nice connection to cycling too :D
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Are they open again Neil? They were closed for a while recently.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 20:39 Are they open again Neil? They were closed for a while recently.

Not according to the website,but they are spending a lot of money renovating them. Wonder if they will preserve the eerie creaks of the wooden escalators once claimed to be the longest/steepest etc in the universe!

Can't imagine them surviving any sort of health and safety requirements these days....probably going to be replaced with some kind of travelator so you don't have to manhandle your bike going up or down..

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Not wanting to hijack the clock special thread - but as a comparison to the Tyne tunnel.... I give you the Elbe tunnel in Hamburg !
Mrs Bobins' work - Elbe Tunnel
Mrs Bobins' work - Elbe Tunnel
And the lift motors......
Own work - Elbe Tunnel lift motors
Own work - Elbe Tunnel lift motors
Four huge lifts at either end of the tunnel take vehicles and pedestrians from the surface down to the tunnels, and then back up at the other end. It's a bit of a tight squeeze for cars though !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Been through the Elbe tunnel in 1972-ish, well impressed but can't remember the lift.