Brief rant...careless smokers in cars...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Re: Brief rant...careless smokers in cars...

Post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 15:51

One thing, as a runner and frequent pedestrian, that really annoys me is cyclists who ride on the pavements - pavement riding, unless they are specifically shared footways and cycleways (indicated by a blue sign) is in fact illegal.

Technically illegal, but condoned by the government...

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/3319.html

Sensible approach if you ask me. I sometimes ride on the pavement, with care. Nearly always to get out of the way of traffic, and rarely when there's pedestrians.

I also break plenty of other road laws on my bike, usually my mountain bike, but only when I'm 100% sure it won't affect anyone else!
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 18:20 What does rain on my parade though is the number of people texting on the handsets - ok so if you are making calls or chatting holding on to the handset that is bad enough, but texting where you need to take your eyes off the road to look at the keypad - well that is potentially fatal. If you don't have a hands-free system or voice commands for making and receiving calls, there are plenty of cheap systems available that can provide bluetooth functionality via the headset now, so there really isn't any excuse if you simply can't be without it.

That pours on my parade. I hate driving near people who have the text wobbles.
In this society I'm surprised people aren't out deliberately crashing into them as the texter is probably automatically at fault and the phone proves it.

I was going to get a bluetooth add on for the Xantia for incoming calls but now I've tried it I'm 100% against the idea.
Last edited by elma on 11 Jul 2017, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
elma

Post by elma »

Found this, if he was smoking and texting as well then he's basically hit every button in the thread.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

elma wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 20:25 Found this, if he was smoking and texting as well then he's basically hit every button in the thread.

cyclist.png
cyclist2.png
This is more like it though James :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elma

Post by elma »

Ooh, that ones texting for sure.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Comments....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 7234702804

Personally I cannot understand why the cyclists ALL think a Left |Turn Only lane is a start point for a race up the inside of a truck that is heading to a pinch point
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma

Post by elma »

Not a cyclist, an idiot on a bike.
I learnt to cycle in london and we all know to stay a few metres behind the rear of a lorry in that situation.
Never, NEVER ride between a lorry and the kerb.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

elma wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 23:07 Not a cyclist, an idiot on a bike.
I learnt to cycle in london and we all know to stay a few metres behind the rear of a lorry in that situation.
Never, NEVER ride between a lorry and the kerb.

Evolution at work. Survival of the fittest (and the smartest).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
elma

Post by elma »

My rant now.
I'm in Southampton picking up a concrete breaker.
Drivers in Hampshire don't understand indicating at all, they just indicate at random and then do whatever. But I can live with that.
The idiot in the blue fiesta that went across 2 lanes texting and made me change lane ro avoid them I'm less impressed with.
Then the builder in a flat bed who ploughed onto the big roundabout at about 50mph plus and scattered the traffic, total ****.
I hate driving in Southamlton in the daytime.
Im buying a dashcam on the way home, its time to start trying to get these catastrophies off the road.
The temptation to just not avoid them is getting hard to resist. I mean how dumb do you have to be to play dodo with a 3.5ton vehicle when you drive a shoebox? Also why should said bigger vehicle take evasive action, potentially hitting something even bigger, when idiot in small car deserves to be squished.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

The cyclists amongst you (I'm currently not one, only due to circumstance) may appreciate this. I just hope the police take the same attitude to all road-users they see on their undercover sting, and hope it's not just another money-raising scheme to milk motorists.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... s_drivers/
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: 12 Jul 2017, 11:24I hate driving in Southamlton in the daytime.

James, that's one heck of a catalogue of bad driving in just one trip :evil:

I'm hating driving and finding it more and more difficult so I try to drive as little as possible now, my mental faculties currently are not up to the job and even my doctor has recommended I drive as little as possible. Twice this week I've come close to an accident due to my own deficiencies... I must be really peeing off the traffic who have to follow me and I wish I could have a sign on the back of my car explaining why I'm proceeding at 40mph in an NSL area :( It's not through choice...

I feel safer and happier on my bike.
MikeT wrote: 12 Jul 2017, 11:39 The cyclists amongst you (I'm currently not one, only due to circumstance) may appreciate this.
Mike, that's an excellent initiative and I do heartily appreciate this :)

Good to see one transgressor has already been suitably punished...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I was travelling through the Forest one fine day and had a traffic car behind me when I noticed a leisure cyclist ahead as we approached an incline leading to a blind left bend. As I got within overtaking range there was no opposing traffic but I judged that if one did suddenly appear travelling at the speed limit, me taking to the other side of the road to pass would have been unsafe, causing both of us to take avoiding action and as I would probably have been alongside said cyclist, it was too risky. Once tucked in behind cyclist, I checked my rearview and was embarassed to see the traffic car had already moved right over to the other side, as if to say, this is where you should be.

I now regret not asking the officer to explain why he felt it would have been safe to overtake.
elma

Post by elma »

At least you recognise it jim and act accordingly. Most of the public seem to think they are the best driver ever and everyone else is just in the way.

Im a country bumpkin now, city aggression freaks me out
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I used to drive in the centre of London professionally and it's more about assertive driving imo. Aggressive and hesitant drivers will get eaten alive either through a bad prang or being left stranded at a junction/lane-change while everyone else carries on past them.

After moving down here, I've learnt defensive driving is best default.
As a motrocyclist as well, I actually have more confidence riding in London (due to the majority being professionals) than I do down here.

I must give credit to a lot of the country-walkers down here though. Most of them walk on the correct side of the road and face the oncoming traffic. Something I've not seen in a long time before and I for one really do appreciate it. It's much safer for both parties.
elma

Post by elma »

I learnt in London and I'd say I'm not a shy driver.
Theres just too many nutters who don't give a monkeys these days.
I reckon half, or more, of them are on Class A drugs.
I do get more idiots when I drive the van though as I take it a bit easier and they definitely see that as weakness.
Got dash cam now, some of what I seem to get into will shock you.
I'd never drive a motorbike on the roads now, only fields or racetrack for me.