Brief rant...careless smokers in cars...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Brief rant...careless smokers in cars...

Post by CitroJim »

As a very active cyclist I fully agree with all the comments and refuse to be associated with the transgressing cyclists. They do sadly give those of us who respect the rules and ride with courtesy a bad name...

I saw some terrible examples at the weekend, sadly...

But please do not tar us all with the same brush; the vast majority are decent and well-behaved but those few bad ones really do stand out.

That's all I'm saying on the subject...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Bloody anarchists coming over here taking over our roads!! oops, nearly forgot emoji :P

Expect it to get worse as the anti-polllution mindset encourages more bicycle use.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm surprised at all the 'biting my tongue' stuff, maybe I'm too laid back but I never get that feeling.

I don't get angry and shout at people and the last time I punched somebody was when I was fourteen and gave the local bully a bloody nose.

Keep calm and live longer. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 05:27 As a very active cyclist I fully agree with all the comments and refuse to be associated with the transgressing cyclists. They do sadly give those of us who respect the rules and ride with courtesy a bad name...

I saw some terrible examples at the weekend, sadly...

But please do not tar us all with the same brush; the vast majority are decent and well-behaved but those few bad ones really do stand out.

That's all I'm saying on the subject...

Jim, I specifically said "arrogant cyclists". There is no way in Heaven, Hell, or Earth that you fall into that category.

While I do understand the concerns about pollution, it would not be possible for me to cycle to work. I am an EPoS Field Service Engineer, and I can do a lot of miles in a day. For example, my van is less than two years old, and I have done over 60,000 miles in that time (while carrying a decent load of spare parts). Even Chris Hoy or Bradley Wiggins would struggle to do that!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 10:09 Jim, I specifically said "arrogant cyclists". There is no way in Heaven, Hell, or Earth that you fall into that category.

James, I fully appreciate that but thanks :-D

You do make a valid point though and as said, I agree!

I also appreciate that in your line of business a van is essential.... I suppose you could use a horse-drawn van but the pollution and congestion would be infinitely worse :lol:

London, at the turn of the century, when horse-drawn traffic dominated was dreadfully polluted and very smelly... They had to employ people to clear up the mess - literally sh1t-shovellers!!! Doubtless the source of the expression...

It must have been bloody horrific in those days... Everyone all let out a huge sigh of relief when ICE vehicles took over...

Just as we are now with the EV prospect...

The wheel turns full-circle!

Now I'm off out on my bike to meet my daughter for coffee :) I will ride with care, courtesy and consideration for all fellow road users and pedestrians when I'm on shared cycle-ways ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 09:41 I'm surprised at all the 'biting my tongue' stuff, maybe I'm too laid back but I never get that feeling.

I don't get angry and shout at people and the last time I punched somebody was when I was fourteen and gave the local bully a bloody nose.

Keep calm and live longer. :-D

I'm under a lot of pressure at the moment and understaffed.
Until recently it was my direct superior that I had issue with (now no longer with us).
Theres a difficult balance of being respectful and getting the point across especially when they are erratic and unprofessional, hence biting the tongue.
Also I've previously been on the receiving end of mid level staff handing their dressings down to low level staff and it can be difficult when the higher tier stress me out to judge when the lower tier need encouragement and when they need discipline.
Calmness is gradually being restored.
My new superior is taking the Bull by the horns and things will probably be as they should within 2 weeks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 09:41 I'm surprised at all the 'biting my tongue' stuff, maybe I'm too laid back but I never get that feeling.

I don't any more... I let things wash over me as far as I possibly can and anything that causes me the slightest stress now gets binned forthwith...

James, good to hear things are improving now :)

Just enjoyed an excellent lunch with my eldest daughter and a lovely bike ride there and back...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

On the subject of cycling... Have a read of this really well-written article explaining why cyclists ride the middle of the road on occasion and why we do it...

This should be essential reading for all fellow road users...

https://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/cyc ... road_62617
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Had a few words with the interior of my car about a cyclist today. If I'm signalling to turn left at a roundabout, don't undertake me as I'm pulling into the roundabout. I don't care how much fluorescent orange or how many cameras you're wearing.

Also, please don't cycle along the grid roads in MK. 70mph dual carriageways with no refuge areas are not a good place to be on a push bike. Especially when you're there with no safety gear, lights etc and don't bother with any form of signals.

Even though I stick pretty strictly to the redways (save for a few hundred yards to get to the redway), one of the first things I did when I got the C5 was to fit indicators.

Given LED and lithium polymer battery technology these days, unless you're talking about a super light bike like Jim's stealth fighter, there's no reason you can't add motorbike style indicators and brake lights for a negligible weight penalty. Obviously a super light bike where every gram counts gets a pass there...but most of those I see insisting on mixing with 70mph traffic are far from that! Often absolutely shot mountain bikes with a chain that's more rust than metal and has two half flat tyres.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

CitroJim wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 17:36 On the subject of cycling... Have a read of this really well-written article explaining why cyclists ride the middle of the road on occasion and why we do it...

This should be essential reading for all fellow road users...

https://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/cyc ... road_62617

You can almost copy that verbatim for why buses might be seen outside of that handy looking bus lane too, Jim.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

This happened a couple of days ago.

Approaching a toucan crossing, green light in my favour. cyclist approacing from other side. Expecting a change to red so slowing from 40mph as precaution. As I get close, lights still green and am about to roll over the crossing, cyclist doesn't stop or slow, doesn't push the button, just swerves straight onto crossing, looking over his shoulder where, following my heart jumping into my mouth, I react with emergency braking except the cyclist just wanted to enter the road on his side. =D> :evil:
Attachments
Crossing.JPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 18:52 Also, please don't cycle along the grid roads in MK. 70mph dual carriageways with no refuge areas are not a good place to be on a push bike. Especially when you're there with no safety gear, lights etc and don't bother with any form of signals.
It's sheer madness to do so Zel. I've had to during organised sportive rides on Sunday mornings and it is utterly terrifying!! Why anyone would willingly is beyond me, totally! And why sportive organisers do it is totally beyond me too. Crazy!
Zelandeth wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 18:52 Given LED and lithium polymer battery technology these days, unless you're talking about a super light bike like Jim's stealth fighter, there's no reason you can't add motorbike style indicators and brake lights for a negligible weight penalty.

Brake lights using accelerometers are readily available and several versions are built into helmets... A good idea.

Some helmets now have indicators too...

As time goes by they'll become more and more mainstream I believe, even on stealth fighters :)
Jim

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I ride down the A404 often enough and it doesn't bother me one iota!

Indicators? Brake lights? Pointless IMO. Proper hand signals are far more visible. Then again, I like to think for myself and manage risk accordingly..
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Theres gloves that flash when you give handsignals, always rather liked them.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I remember that, when I cycled to work, I managed to make a brake light for my bicycle. It was an old rear light with an external switch connected to the rear brake mechanism, and worked well. The only downside was that the light output was the same as the normal rear lights.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!