Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by Zelandeth »

That's quite an interesting piece there, Elma.

Multiple exposure work is something I've yet to play around with really, though this camera does have the facility to do it.

Shameless excuse to sneak in a photo of the photography equipment of choice...
IMG_20170709_203441.jpg
Reckon some darkroom gear may well be in the future, probably once the garage is sorted out, as it wouldn't be hard to slot in a little partition wall at the far end I think, with enough space behind it for everything you need.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Thats interesting, I didn't realise a camera could do that.
I took 2 separate photos on a Pentax ME and exposed the paper twice in the dark room.
Took a few goes to get the exposure right but was very satisfying.
A B+W enlarger is very satisfying too, not that you don't have enough hobbies but, I think you should obtain one.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Not all of them do - in the case of my Konika there's a little lever by the shutter speed selection marked M.E.
IMG_20170709_205429.jpg
If you pull this when winding the film advance lever, it resets the shutter mechanism, but doesn't advance the film. I imagine that most decent SLR cameras will have a similar facility, though where it is and how it's labelled will no doubt vary from maker to maker.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Every SLR I have owned or used has had the multiple exposure facility.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I have a feeling my current camera will then, just I never knew to look for it.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

In celebration of Picture of the Day viewers which make up 97% of the activity on the thread, The European Southern Observatory in Chile supplies our Picture of the Day.

It is based on the evidence of the The Transiting Planets and Planetesimals Small Telescope sited in Chile.

Starry night invites to go out and look to the stars [CC BY 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)], by ESO/E. Jehin, from Wikimedia Commons

and this is an artists impression of the Telescope's eponymous planet, bit Roger Dean-esque for 70's poster and progressive rock fans!
European Southern Observatory/M.Kommesser Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License,
European Southern Observatory/M.Kommesser Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License,
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The first picture is truly beautiful :)

I try to contribute to this thread when I can Neil ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day..Clock Special!

Over at Nice places to stop off at-brief encounter the iconic clock at Carnforth Raiway Station made by Joyce of Whitchurch came up.

Here's one of their other efforts.....

Eastgate clock [Public domain], by No machine-readable author provided. Smurrayinchester assumed (based on copyright claims)., from Wikimedia Commons

So lets open up Picture of the Day for your collection of clocks.

There used to be a phrase "Standing there like Potts' Clock half-struck" which I have no idea whether is just appropriate for Consett County Durham or has a wider usage.

Have to see if I can find a pic of Potts' Clock to kick this off!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day..Clock Special

Unusually I discover that although Potts of Leeds were responsible for making many of the "Public" clocks around the country, the phrase from Consett referred to this clock

https://consettmagazine.com/wp-content/ ... -clock.jpg

The valuable clock, costing over £100 at the time, was presented to the people of Consett
by a local businessman, Mr John Potts from Newcastle, who ran a drapery store in the town centre.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day..Clock Special!

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 09:26 So lets open up Picture of the Day for your collection of clocks.

Just a few of mine:

Grandad One and a Tea Clock...
Own Work
Own Work
Grandad Two and Cuckoo: With an Activa getting in on the act ;)
Own Work
Own Work
Radio Clock listening to Anthorn on 60KHz:
Own Work
Own Work
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 10:35

Now Jim you can't just mention "Anthorn" on 60KHz as if the general public (thats me!) know what you are going on about without looking it up!

So that's what they secretly do in North Cumbria!

I like a curiosity...the site was also known as "HMS Nuthatch"

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 15 Jul 2017, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 10:43
CitroJim wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 10:35

Now Jim you can't just mention "Anthorn" on 60KHz as if the general public (thats me!) know what you are going on about without looking it up!

Sorry Neil, I'm sitting here suitably admonished :oops: I will not do it again, promise!!!

HMS Nuthatch is a fantastic name :-D
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not sure why but I was under the impression that out time signals came from Germany these days.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 13:10 Not sure why but I was under the impression that out time signals came from Germany these days.

A lot of el-cheapo so-called 'radio clocks' do indeed listen to Germany Steve... They are not fully accurate as they only check against the radio signal once a day and can then do a big correction... I have one gains in the day and it stops and waits at around 4AM and resets itself... Bloody annoying as that's my get-up time!

Also, if they cannot successfully decode the the signal they will then free-run and become very inaccurate...

They're basically a load of old rubbish.

Mine, being an ex-professional one, reads the time code and displays it direct.. It is always right! It does not adjust to BST so it always reads UTC (GMT).

Also, the signal from Germany is sufficiently far enough away to introduce its own error through propagation delay... It takes a finite time for a radio signal to travel from Germany to the UK...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Jim.
Both mine keep very good time - always the same as the computers and can be reset any time.
One was stupidly cheap, the other is ancient.