Davie's french attraction.
-
white exec
- Posts: 7445
- Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
- x 1751
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I think some of the IGN warning lamps had a resistor in parallel with them, to allow the Alt to function in the event of bulb failure. Not all vehicles had this. Circuit diag will tell.
Chris
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Im still not up for much stuff yet but I have got as far as charging the berlingos battery. It now has 12.1volts in the battery, starting perfectly, the ignition light works as it should, well not really. It is coming on when ign on, and going out when running. But its still not charging and thats with a second brand new alternator. There are no lights on the dash when running. Im totally stuck with it, as you all know electrical things is a mystery to me.
I have ordered a heap of service stuff for lilpug. She is going to get a massive service with all fluids, all filters, plugs and plug leads. I hope that cures her tempremental cutting out.
Bigpug working as she should be.
I have ordered a heap of service stuff for lilpug. She is going to get a massive service with all fluids, all filters, plugs and plug leads. I hope that cures her tempremental cutting out.
Bigpug working as she should be.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
Hell Razor5543
- (Donor 2023)
- Posts: 14308
- Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
- x 3306
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I would then check the heavy duty cables (such as the one from the alternator to the battery, and the earth leads), and see if any of them are getting warm.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
-
elma
- Posts: 3745
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
- x 287
-
ekjdm14
- (Donor 2020)
- Posts: 1988
- Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
- x 263
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I did wonder when you mentioned buying from Mister Auto (and their own brand Bolk, at that), if the alternators were going to be any cop. Having read that linked thread I'd be seriously tempted to grab an OE unit from the scrappy & see if that worked.
Bloody modern rubbish, the alternator has to tell the BSI it's working before the BSI will send any excitation current to it lol... Those wheels look the business on it though IMO.
Bloody modern rubbish, the alternator has to tell the BSI it's working before the BSI will send any excitation current to it lol... Those wheels look the business on it though IMO.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
-
elma
- Posts: 3745
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
- x 287
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Easily tested by putting 12v to it.
Do you understand that thread davie?
Quite happy to talk you through it a step at a time if its all foreign to you.
Do you understand that thread davie?
Quite happy to talk you through it a step at a time if its all foreign to you.
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I do have a multi meter, thats why i know its not working. I charged the battery by putting it in another car and driving an hour or so, so I know it has 12.1 volts in it now. When the berlingo is running it should it be reading about 14.4 volts? I get the same readings if its across the battery terminals or on the alternator output and alternator casing. I am just away to read that thread. There is a purple wire coming out of the wiring loom which has been cut, and it has no voltage at any time. It obviously went to a plug on the alternator. There is now a wire added in, coming through the bulkhead which has no voltage when ign is off, and its live with ign on and engine running. This was connected to the alternator and ai connected to the new one on same plug. It makes no difference if its connected or not.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Thats the same purple wire on that thread, and the extra wire has been put in in the past to fix the purple having no power then. Im now willing to bet that Mr autos bolk alternators are in fact useless and a genuine scrappy item is the way to find out. In fact the alternator on lilpug looks the exact same valeo unit so i can see it being tried on the berlingo just to see if it then works. That can be my job for tomorrow! Then if it works i shall try a bolk one on lil pug.
Would the alternator I took off the berlingo be fixable? I think i need to do a take it to bits to see how it works!
Would the alternator I took off the berlingo be fixable? I think i need to do a take it to bits to see how it works!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
ekjdm14
- (Donor 2020)
- Posts: 1988
- Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
- x 263
Re: Davie's french attraction.
daviemck2006 wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 16:32. Im now willing to bet that Mr autos bolk alternators are in fact useless
Glad you didn't end up getting yet another of them, or you'd have ended up with a right load of Bol(loc)ks
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I have two brand new bollocks
One bought and paid for, the other sent free to replace it. Never again will I buy from mr auto, if it turns out that their rubbish doesnt work.
One bought and paid for, the other sent free to replace it. Never again will I buy from mr auto, if it turns out that their rubbish doesnt work.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5310
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1597
Re: Davie's french attraction.
What was the symptom Davie?
If no output and no dash light were the symptoms it could simply need a new set of brushes, which *should* be pretty cheap and easy to swap if my experiences on the Saab and Lada are anything to go by.
If no output and no dash light were the symptoms it could simply need a new set of brushes, which *should* be pretty cheap and easy to swap if my experiences on the Saab and Lada are anything to go by.
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
elma
- Posts: 3745
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
- x 287
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I agree with Zel, if its brushes should be quite easy for you. For someone who admits electrics boggle them you sound like you know what you're doing Davie.
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Its just what im reading on forums. I know the alternator needs to put out 14.4 volts, and a good battery will be about 12.4 volts. I wondered about the purple wire on beryl but that post on the berlingo forum is the same problem. The purple wire is supposed to be live with the ign, its not, but someone else has put in a subsitute which is. I thought it was unlikely two new alternators would be duff, but that is what it looks like. I dont really understand electrics but figuring things out using logic im ok with. So the signal to start charging is going in where it should, when it should, the alternator is turning as it should, it is the correct rating but no charge coming out then that says the alternator is not working as it should. I get the same voltage across the battery terminals as there is at the alternator so the wiring between the battery and alternator must be sound, because if there was dodgy wiring between them there would be different readings. Thats what I am thinking anyway so theres only one explanation. MR AUTO and BOLK are to be avoided at all costs!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
elma
- Posts: 3745
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
- x 287
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Heard that so many times that there must be truth in it.
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
They will get both sent back, a refund asked for and im sure i can get a friendly garage owner to give me an invoice for time for changing it twice To tfy claiming for!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.