Brief rant...careless smokers in cars...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Brief rant...careless smokers in cars...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 18:13 Don't want an MOT as they will surely fail me :)

Yes, maybe but at least they can put repairs in place for you ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

elma wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 17:22 I can't stand strong fragrances either. When I was trying to be sn optician it used to bother me terribly. Some people seem to douse themselves in the entire bottle.

Im getting pissed off at the minute with my neighbour blowing smoke into my caravan. He's had one warning, about to get another and if we get to a third then I'm banning smoking on the entire site.

I do hope the paunful hand is sorted rapidly steve, pains no fun.

When we were kids I was following my brother on our bikes, he suddenly did a very wide sweep to the right then back to the left, I asked him what all that was about he said "Just avoiding Mrs Johnson's perfume."

Mrs Johnson was our next door neighbour, she was a PA to some business tycoon and always overdosed on expensive scents.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Years ago (mid 80s) I well remember a cleaner we had at work... Her perfume smelt of Brasso! We used to call her Eau d'Brasso...

She utterly reeked of it... Gawd knows what it was... Cheap stuff I expect...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

elma wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 17:22
Im getting pissed off at the minute with my neighbour blowing smoke into my caravan. He's had one warning...

You're too polite Elma. I find threatening behaviour first thing in the morning is an excellent deterrent:)
Catch them while they're half asleep. Had loads of problems with a bad neighbour three or four years ago. I was waiting outside his front door, as in nose on the glass when he opened it at 6.30am. He thought he was hard cos he had tattooed mates and had been in the army. He'd already escaped hospitalisation when him and his wife threatened my missus. One of his favourite things to annoy us was to slam it really hard and wake us up. Unfortunately for him I'd just come off a night shift. Lifted him up by his collar and said very quietly "if you ever slam that door again, I'll slam your f@cking head through it"

He behaved himself after that until they left a month or so later.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

That wouldn't be possible here.
I'm the guys Foreman, it would lose me my job.
I have procedures I must follow in dealing with these things.
He did it again today so the site is now non smoking entirely.
A smoking area will be assigned but I don't have time for such trivial things right now.
I shall not notice his workmates dishing out any other punishments, they all smoke and are not best pleased.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 08 Jul 2017, 21:39 Unfortunately for him I'd just come off a night shift. Lifted him up by his collar and said very quietly "if you ever slam that door again, I'll slam your f@cking head through it"

He behaved himself after that until they left a month or so later.

I have found on a very few select occasions in the past the threat of violence has been the perfect answer...

Carrying through that threat when I was a youngster worked against all my bullies; some even became good friends...

I may not look it but I'm quite a fighter...

I don't recommend or condone it as a general solution but it has its place in ensuring a pleasant life can be enjoyed by all parties...
Jim

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I don't condone it either Jim, but you may recall how far those gits pushed me
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 07:46 I don't condone it either Jim, but you may recall how far those gits pushed me

I do! And like you, I have to be pushed a long way before I get angry enough to get violent but if you ever do then stand back or even better, run away and take shelter!
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

I haven't lost it like that since infant school. I once damaged another student so badly for kicking me I haven't ever done that again.
That said I have quite a violent mouth when necessary. Just a few months back I had a 50year old man in tears because he was a bully and wouldn't back down when called out. It's quite amazing the effect that bluntly telling the truth can have.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I can be very effective with my mouth too James but again, I have to be pushed a long, long way and very hard before I respond...

Again, stand back!

One good thing is that if I do explode it quickly subsides and I'm back to normal in no time. Air cleared, now where were we? Let's carry on ;)
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

I bit my tounge for several months with that one. I will do everything I can to avoid nastiness or resolve conflict pleasantly. I like to choose my words well rather than unleash them in a temper.

For example at the music festival in town yesterday it was clearly on the brink of turning into a scrap despite the massive number of police and security. Solution, buy an ice cream and then go home. Sad really, British people are idiots in this respect. In France with Mike I went to the same type of thing which was friendly.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I was shocked to see the state of my town in the aftermath of the carnival yesterday :evil: It looked like Glastonbury...

People are so bloody messy... Of particular notice when I went for my morning run was a pavement outside a pub knee-deep in fag ends :evil: Disgusting and why did they not sweep them up at closing time?

That and all the scattered litter just makes the place look scruffy and uncared-for :(

James, never good to bite your tongue... It just builds stress and produces poison... Let it out in a controlled and effective way ;) It's critical to good mental health...
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Fully agreed on not biting ones tongue/pushing down etc, I have avoided stress enough the last year that a brief shout clears the air but if things get really bad I go and kick seven bells out of some concrete slabs out back!
Keeping it in just makes things worse in every way
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 17:17but if things get really bad I go and kick seven bells out of some concrete slabs out back!
I go and practice some karate for the same sort of relief ;)
ekjdm14 wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 17:17 Keeping it in just makes things worse in every way

Absolutely yes!!!
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Yep seems to work.
Just gave out a justified rollocking.
Satisfied.