Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

On the subject of pollution hotspots this takes some beating, and easily cured with a move to all-electric taxis....

This is where Taxi's wait in line mostly, if not 100%, diesels with their engines ticking over under the Central Station in Newcastle, before emerging out front to get to the head of the rank at the front of the station. Gives the opportunity for some of the drivers to light up while they wait too!

Not great photography but the tunnel is about 100 metres long and full of Taxis, at all times.
N falcon 7/7/17 own work
N falcon 7/7/17 own work
So name shame and photograph your own pollution hotspots and post them up here.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Only taxi drivers would be stupid enough to do this, day in day out.
What is going on between the ears? #-o
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Tesla hitting the news again and a couple of quotes from Elon Musk on twitter.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -australia

Elon Musk (@elonmusk)

This will be the highest power battery system in the world by a factor of 3. Australia rocks!!
July 7, 2017
Elon Musk (@elonmusk)

Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free. That serious enough for you?
March 10, 2017
I presume that is how to close a deal!!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 18:25 Only taxi drivers would be stupid enough to do this, day in day out.
What is going on between the ears? #-o

Taxi drivers are a breed apart Chris... They are not of this world...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Another good video of the Rimac Concept one:

They certainly are positioning themselves as the Tesla of the Supercar segment of the market. Pity I will never be able to drive or afford one. :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Stickyfinger wrote: 08 Jul 2017, 19:29 Lithium will come up very short ?
Might do, but before it does, I would be optimistic that something better/cheaper will take its place as Battery tech advances.

Within the article this very valid point was made
What happens when China and India and the rest of the developing world push en masse for personal car ownership and all the privileges that this brings? Well, the world definitely can’t handle that transformation under today’s fossil-fuel system, and it very likely can’t handle it under an EV-focused alternative system either, due to the resource constraints discussed above. We need to think hard about alternatives to passenger cars even while we recognize that EVs are far better than petroleum internal-combustion engine vehicles. We face a real conundrum as the developing world races to become more like the developed world.

The entire world can’t run on cars
Even this little sketch of the issue highlights the obvious conclusion: we need to do our best to get away from single passenger cars -- even EVs -- and rely more on smart city design, walking, biking, carpooling, trains, shuttles, etc.
While some of the assumptions could be challenged, and maybe recycling of the lithium in "spent" batteries wasn't taken into account it was a decent discussion of the subject.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The solution is very obvious and is laid out quite clearly at the end of the article...
Even this little sketch of the issue highlights the obvious conclusion: we need to do our best to get away from single passenger cars -- even EVs -- and rely more on smart city design, walking, biking, carpooling, trains, shuttles, etc.
It boggles me just how many cars are on the roads. Where are they all going all the time?

I have a couple of neighbours who use their cars for every journey and some are clearly very short ones... They are up and down the close in their cars like a whore's drawers all day long...

Surely they can walk, they are all very able-bodied, or modify their lives to avoid this needless use of cars? I feel no need to be in and out all the time like a cuckoo in a cuckoo clock but a lot of people clearly do...

Working near where you live so you can walk or cycle to your place of work would help too... Commuting must be the most miserable of all the human activities...

EVs will help but are only a very small part of the overall solution...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles ... -Battery-M

That's the trouble with environmentalists and conservationists, they don't stop to think that one man's clean environment is another man's huge quarry hole, mineshaft or spoil tip.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 09:29

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles ... -Battery-M

That's the trouble with environmentalists and conservationists, they don't stop to think that one man's clean environment is another man's huge quarry hole, mineshaft or spoil tip.

Yes! Couldn't put it better myself :)
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Is this the day that mass adoption of EV's really starts to ramp up ? Or is the Model 3 still too expensive and over-hyped ?

Either way, the first production unit finally came off the assembly line last Saturday....

https://electrek.co/2017/07/09/tesla-mo ... -pictures/

Personally I don't like the minimalist dashboard with the centre screen being the only form of instrumentation, and I think the front end around the bonnet line and the headlights looks a bit generic compared to the Model S, but in other regards I do like the look of it...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
NewcastleFalcon

Mandrake wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 09:17
Personally I don't like the minimalist dashboard with the centre screen being the only form of instrumentation, and I think the front end around the bonnet line and the headlights looks a bit generic compared to the Model S, but in other regards I do like the look of it...

The side view is very nice, but it looks like it still has a steering wheel.....going to look pretty old fashioned when/if Hiro's new Leaf becomes a reality :-D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57635&p=531924&hilit=hiro#p531924

I did like the squabble in the comments below the article in Elektrek, between those in favour and the odd dissenting voice, and within the comments the odd decent quote (or miquote as the case may be it is the internet after all!) like this one attributed to Sheikh Zaki Yamani former Saudi Oil Minister.

“The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long before the world runs out of oil.”

Can't imagine the model3 will kill off the oil age on its own but is an important landmark in scaling up EV production and forcing the major car manufacturers to follow suit. Something smaller and cheaper like Carlos Ghosn's $8000 BEV is going to have to assist.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A replacement for the soot spewing London black cabs ?

http://www.evperformance.co.uk/levc-unv ... tric-taxi/

Looks a bit odd from the side, but existing black cabs are not exactly good lookers either.. :lol:

It's also a plug in petrol hybrid rex not a pure EV, with 70 miles of electric range and 400 miles total range, but that's got to be an improvement over 100% diesel running somewhere like London. No idling while waiting for a fare for a start!

Lets just hope these Taxi companies install their own rapid chargers instead of hogging the existing public charger network. :twisted:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

It's awful, a tiny electric range, and a small-engined petrol hydrid.
Shouldn't have expected anything better, I suppose, from the dinosaur London Taxi outfit.

Disappointing offering from the Chinese - they must have better (just look at their BEV buses which London is buying) - but it's no doubt what London Taxis asked them for.

If I were Mayor, I'd tell them to think again, and not license those things.
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Mandrake wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 16:04 A replacement for the soot spewing London black cabs ?

http://www.evperformance.co.uk/levc-unv ... tric-taxi/

Looks a bit odd from the side, but existing black cabs are not exactly good lookers either.. :lol:

It's also a plug in petrol hybrid rex not a pure EV, with 70 miles of electric range and 400 miles total range, but that's got to be an improvement over 100% diesel running somewhere like London. No idling while waiting for a fare for a start!

Lets just hope these Taxi companies install their own rapid chargers instead of hogging the existing public charger network. :twisted:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/excl ... spartanntp
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!