Brief rant...careless smokers in cars...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Brief rant...careless smokers in cars...

Post by Zelandeth »

Firstly, not a smoker and never have been. Both parents were heavily though, which was enough to put me off for life - along with having asthma which renders me a useless wheezing, gasping heap if I get even a decent whiff of it.

Today for the third time in as many days, an SUV has pulled up next to me at the lights, passenger window open. I've then been able to watch the passenger take a long drag on their ciggie, before reaching down to flick the ash away.

...straight through my open driver's window, and literally straight into my face.

I hate to perpetuate stereotypes, but the first two offenders were in Audi Q7s, and the latest one - the driver of which then attempted to run me off the road when I complained (politely) about being showered with hot ash, was in a BMW X5.

Congrats by the way on having a really easy to remember private plate in an illegal typeface, Captain X5...made it way easier to remember your reg when I reported you to the police.

I've never had anything like that ever before...okay, have had to frantically wind my windows up once or twice to avoid the cloud when stuck in traffic (see earlier point about asthma), but never had it flicked into my face. Never mind three times in as many days...

Doesn't half show in a black interior with black cloth seats and black carpets either...sticks to the plastics by static cling something rotten too. Grrr...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Brief rant...careless smokers in cars...

Post by elma »

Hence why I moved away from the people and didn't come back.
People are generally idiots Zel, don't take it personally they are just that dumb.
I would suggest a super soaker on the passenger seat as an excellent way to ruin their cigarette. However this is likely to turn the average dumb idiot into a violent one and probably isn't worth the grief.

Trying to run you off the road is a worry though and far to commonplace on the roads in recent years.
I hope theres some video and they get done for wanton and furious driving (yes that is a real offence) as far as I'm concerned anyone who thinks a car is a weapon isn't mature enough to have one.

Sadly the UK is full of these people.
I got refused a parcel last week and given a good shove by the parcel force guy because I gave my full name rather than my initial and surname, he called me something quite rude as well.
We think it's because he's been delivering our parcels to the wrong address and we rang to ask if they could point out that no one lives in the derelict house our parcels were going to and we can't get the cards, obviously upset by that he came down here with quite the attitude.
Can't be bothered complaining so I appointed the worst English speaker (i.e. no English) as Parcelforce delivery signer, he's like a big version of Lurch, so it'll be very amusing to see how the next few deliveries go.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm an ex-smoker and now I'm both repulsed by it and very allergic to it...

I'm so sensitive to it that if I see someone smoking approaching me I have to cross the road and if I end up following a smoker I have to get ahead or again, avoid at all costs... It's that bad with me...

Cigarette smoke is toxic to me.

I have exactly the same problem with this current fetish for vaping... Our little town seems to be able to support no less then three shops devoted to the craze... I guess everybody but me must indulge in this hideous habit at the moment...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I kicked the dreaded weed too about 12 years ago- just stopped, no band aids on my arms, pills or chewing gum. Ex-smokers seem to be the worst, and I'm no exception, like you, if I get the slightest whiff, it feels like I'm in a pub from the 70s, akin to a scene from 'The Fog'.

The smell stays with me for hours, so like you if I see anyone smoking in the distance I take collision avoidance measures!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I 'cold-turkeyed' it too Marc... I has tried all the tricks before such as patches (allergic to them!) without success but just going for it worked...

I know a lady who gave up using nicotine gum. She gave up the fags but has been hopelessly addicted to the gum since!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Vaping is just the tobacco barons' way to keep their victims addicted so they eventually return to fags and to encourage the next generation of addicts.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 08:35 Vaping is just the tobacco barons' way to keep their victims addicted so they eventually return to fags and to encourage the next generation of addicts.

Very well put Gibbo. I quite agree...
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Its 10 years since I stopped smoking. I asked my 2nd daughter what she wanted for her 16th birthday, she said you to stop smoking. Never had one since, she is now 26. Cold turkey, went from 40 a day to nothing, no pills, no patches, no councilling, just chucked two packs in the bin and never again.

To me the fad for vaping is just as bad as smoking. Ok, theres no ash or tabbys get thrown about, but its still having folk addicted. To be honest I dislike it more than smoking. I would have it banned everywhere smoking is banned.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 09:09 To me the fad for vaping is just as bad as smoking. Ok, theres no ash or tabbys get thrown about, but its still having folk addicted. To be honest I dislike it more than smoking. I would have it banned everywhere smoking is banned.

Ditto and I'd ban all public boozing too... The number of times I go for an early morning run and I'm disgusted at where the drunks from the night before have abandoned half drunk cans and glasses of beer, fag packets, dog-ends, remains of puked-up donor kebabs and other assorted litter and detritus...

:evil:

And pubs that allow smoking out on the pavement and then don't empty the ashtrays is unforgivable... Fresh fags smell disgusting but old, dead fag-ends in ashtrays are just vile and revolting...

Beer smells vile and revolting to me but that's just my ME speaking..

People are welcome to smoke and booze to their heart's content - that's their choice - but it should be strictly only in their own homes. Nowhere in public - end of.
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think vaping is going to be the next big health issue in years to come. I see people buying vials of the stuff on market stalls - no regulation, no idea what they are inhaling, some nicotine based, others flavoured chemicals!!! It can't be good inhaling this stuff, surely it will clog up the air sacks over time just like cigarettes. How people can shove this stuff into their lungs is beyond me. Surely if you've kicked the weed, you don't need this junk either?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 09:22 I think vaping is going to be the next big health issue in years to come.

My nursing daughter tells me this is already the case... It is an irritant and does appear to have undesirable effects on health.

So-called safety studies in relation to vaping have been allegedly sponsored by tobacco companies...

It's so paradoxical that much effort is being taken to reduce atmospheric pollution from motor vehicles and industrial sources but this obvious one seems to be blissfully ignored...

Crazy...
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Speaking as a smoker, and also now a "vaper", I still have to agree with a lot of what's been said. One thing I would say though is I buy my liquid from a reputable company & not with daft flavours either (and wouldn't consider them either, having read about "popcorn lung"). Just a 50/50 mix of Propylene glycol & vegetable glycerine with a bit of nicotine. At least my lungs won't freeze in winter I suppose haha

The vape has resulted in my cutting down from about 15 a day to maybe 5 or 6, without consciously trying & my chest is better for it. Also I have to congratulate those who have quit the habit, it's something I've "tried" before but I have to accept that I'm not at the point where I'm ready to do so (more's the shame really). I'm allergic to those nasty patches too, bring me out in a rash & the main part of the addiction for me aside from the nicotine, is the "hand to mouth" habit hence why I think the vape has resulted in cutting down.

On the subject of smoking in cars though, it should be classed as an assault IMO if anything comes into physical contact with you from a smoker's cigarette. Aside from the allergens/poisons in the ash, there's the obvious possibility of being burned by it & in the context of driving a burn in the wrong place or ash in the eye could be positively dangerous. As for the idiot in the X5, I too hope he's on video and gets his come-uppance for that kind of lunacy.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 10:26 On the subject of smoking in cars though, it should be classed as an assault IMO if anything comes into physical contact with you from a smoker's cigarette. Aside from the allergens/poisons in the ash, there's the obvious possibility of being burned by it & in the context of driving a burn in the wrong place or ash in the eye could be positively dangerous.

Fully agree with that...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My younger brother quit when he was 58, ...................................after the cut his cancerous lung out and he died. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 13:33 My younger brother quit when he was 58, ...................................after the cut his cancerous lung out and he died. :(

Sorry to hear that, and I sincerely hope it's not a similar story for me when I stop... From my perspective though e-cigs are a step forward in that respect, although I'm sure there will be health issues connected with even the unflavoured ones I feel they're likely to be less harmful than tobacco & until I discover otherwise I'm happy to continue vaping & smoking less and less as time goes on....
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2: