Pickled Egg Jukebox-Your Selections

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Pickled Egg-Pub Chat-French Electrics!

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Minor diversion from music.....a French electrics moan....just what pub chat thrives on.....

French Electrics...what are they like? Preparing a Clio, one of our "fleet" for MOT tomorrow. so faf about as usual checking the simple things, lights, washers, wipers, tyres, horn etc. Needed to replace the wipers so job done. Fiddled with the stalk to test them out activating the washers....nothing not even a hum from the washers. wipers swishing away fine.

Give it a bit of a drive to see how the brakes etc were, tried the washers a few times nothing. Got the handbook out to check the fuse.....no fuse in that fuse box for washers.

As I was pulling into the side of the road by my house gave the washers a try again......working perfectly! I had done precisely nothing to fix them. Lets hope they are minded to work when the MOT tester pulls the stalk back tomorrow :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: The Pickled Egg-Pub Chat-French Electrics!

Post by myglaren »

I dropped some screws into the fag lighter socket in mine.
Said socket stopped working, along with the glove box light.
I recall when fitting the electric seats that this fuse was blown, replacing it restored function.
Not this time though. I have removed and tested every fuse in the car, cleaned and replaced them.
The glovebox light works but not the socket - used to power USB gubbinses and satnav.

A few days ago the remote wouldn't unlock the car or operate the windows after the car had stood overnight.
Cleaned the remote up and it worked fine for a couple of days, then not.
Once the car has been started it works as it should.
Bought replacement batteries for it. Wrong ones arrived yesterday :(
NewcastleFalcon

P.Egg-Pub Chat-LOTR The Green Dragon Inn

Well in the world of ambience the Green Dragon Inn from The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings has stolen a march on our own Pickled Egg, with a bit of "bottled ambience" on youtube!. Whats more you can now actually buy beer from it if you make the trip to Hobbiton, New Zealand!

http://www.hobbitontours.com/the-green-dragon-inn/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

PE Pub Chat-HP The Three Broomsticks & butterbeer

..of course in the world of ambiance the "Three Broomsticks Inn" has to get in on the act.

..and with research showing the most memorable aspect of a visit to the Universal Orlando resort's Harry Potter attractions is sampling Butterbeer.

The Huffington Post has an article here on how they made butterbeer a reality to sell to as many punters as possible!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/ ... 93654.html

You can get it at Watford now, but its unlikely to be available at the Pickled Egg.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Pickled Egg-July 4th music & trivia...

Join in with your July 4th tenuous music links and any assorted trivia and pub chat facts :-D

Here's a starter for 10....the melody for the US National Anthem came from an English Drinking song, very probably sung after copious quantities of mead at the Pickled Egg Inn!

of course Jimi Hendrix gave it his own interpretation at Woodstock in 1969 :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Thomas Jefferson's "Laptop"

....and a bit of trivia, "The Declaration of Independence" was reportedly drafted by its principal author Thomas Jeffferson on his "laptop"

Jefferson's+desk [Public domain], by National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

P.E. Jukebox July 4th tenuous links!...

Taking a lead from the signers of the declaration......there's John Hancock President of Congress with the largest!

JohnHancockSignature [Public domain or Public domain], by William Stone (Image:Us_declaration_independence.jpg), from Wikimedia Commons

So that leads logically on to a youtube selection from Herbie Hancock for the PE Jukebox.

But what track? Well he is helped out by a reasonable supporting cast on this one :-D Top top quality!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Pickled Egg-Jukebox-July 4th tenuous links!

...and to play along there is so much scope for a link with the names of the eventual 56 Signatures to the Declaration. I like a number but also a name.....Arthur Middleton sounds very "normal" Button Gwinnett less so :-D
1. John Hancock (Massachusetts Bay) 2. Josiah Bartlett 3. William Whipple 4. Matthew Thornton
5. Samuel Adams 6. John Adams 7. Robert Treat Paine 8. Elbridge Gerry 9. Stephen Hopkins 10. William Ellery
11. Roger Sherman 12. Samuel Huntington 13. William Williams 14. Oliver Wolcott 15. William Floyd
16. Philip Livingston 17. Francis Lewis 18. Lewis Morris 19. Richard Stockton 20. John Witherspoon
21. Francis Hopkinson 22. John Hart 23. Abraham Clark 24. Robert Morris 25. Benjamin Rush
26. Benjamin Franklin 27. John Morton 28. George Clymer 29. James Smith 30. George Taylor
31. James Wilson 32. George Ross 33. Caesar Rodney 34. George Read 35. Thomas McKean
36. Samuel Chase 37. William Paca 38. Thomas Stone 39. Charles Carroll of Carrollton 40. George Wythe
41. Richard Henry Lee 42. Thomas Jefferson 43. Benjamin Harrison 44. Thomas Nelson, Jr.
45. Francis Lightfoot Lee 46. Carter Braxton 47. William Hooper 48. Joseph Hewes 49. John Penn
50. Edward Rutledge 51. Thomas Heyward, Jr. 52. Thomas Lynch, Jr. 53. Arthur Middleton
54. Button Gwinnett 55. Lyman Hall 56. George Walton
Go on....join in!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 23 Sep 2020, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: The Pickled Egg-Julkebox-July 4th tenuous links!

Post by bobins »

A few to be going on with....

No.8 Elbridge Gerry (Rafferty)

No.17 Francis (Rossi) Lewis

No.23 (Father) Abraham Clark

No.26 Benjamin (Watt) Franklin

No.31 James (Danny) Wilson

No.41 Richard Henry Lee

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Excellent stuff........I am filling a playlist up here I'll put those in! :-D

Pickled Egg Jukebox-July 4th-56 Signatures 56 Tracks

I've just passed the two Adam's at 5 and 6! Sam Adams Boston Lager seems worth a try!

Regards Neil

PS Temptations in at no 7 Robert Treat (her like a lady) Paine

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Pickled Egg-Jukebox-July 4th tenuous links!

Could only be for number 9 Steven (Lightnin') Hopkins now that I have found out that Mary Hopkins was actually Mary Hopkin! Not accurate enough for the PE Jukebox :-D

Could there be a more representative title for a blues song than "Woke up this Morning"?

Lightnin' is well worth exploring if you like that particular genre which I do.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

We've started so we'll finish!

Filled the first 15 in plus those from Bobins but plenty left to join in with.

If you listen to nothing else click on the playlist link in my signature and have a listen to Summertime with Herbie Hancock on piano, Joni Mitchell on vocal, Wayme Shorter on tenor saxophone Stevie Wonder on Harmonica and Ira Coleman on bass at selection 1.

A much much covered song but not surprising given the cast list that that is the best version I have ever heard thanks to this bit of nonesense!

Join in ladies and gentlemen

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I didn't care for the version of Summertime, unusual as I generally like Joni Mitchell :(

I hear it by Caroline Hester on the sixties, TOTP probably.
Rushed out to by an album by her, took it back the next day, it was awful and Summertime wasn't on it.

I wonder now what I saw in it - she is a proper looker though :) and does have some other decent songs, nothing outstanding though.

JST does the version I prefer at the moment.

Frequently compared with Janis Joplin but I think JST is far better.
NewcastleFalcon

Shame it's not to your taste Steve, loved the contributions from all the players, much more than just a Joni vocal for me.

I'm sure you can chip in with some of the missing numbers Steve...

Whats left?
1. John Hancock (Massachusetts Bay) 2. Josiah Bartlett 3. William Whipple 4. Matthew Thornton
5. Samuel Adams 6. John Adams 7. Robert Treat Paine 8. Elbridge Gerry 9. Stephen Hopkins 10. William Ellery
11. Roger Sherman 12. Samuel Huntington 13. William Williams 14. Oliver Wolcott 15. William Floyd
16. Philip Livingston 17. Francis Lewis 18. Lewis Morris 19. Richard Stockton
20. John Witherspoon
21. Francis Hopkinson 22. John Hart 23. Abraham Clark 24. Robert Morris 25. Benjamin Rush
26. Benjamin Franklin 27. John Morton 28. George Clymer 29. James Smith 30. George Taylor
31. James Wilson 32. George Ross 33. Caesar Rodney 34. George Read 35. Thomas McKean
36. Samuel Chase 37. William Paca 38. Thomas Stone 39. Charles Carroll of Carrollton 40. George Wythe
41. Richard Henry Lee 42. Thomas Jefferson 43. Benjamin Harrison 44. Thomas Nelson, Jr.
45. Francis Lightfoot Lee 46. Carter Braxton 47. William Hooper 48. Joseph Hewes 49. John Penn
50. Edward Rutledge 51. Thomas Heyward, Jr. 52. Thomas Lynch, Jr. 53. Arthur Middleton
54. Button Gwinnett 55. Lyman Hall 56. George Walton
Go on....join in! be quick 16 and 18's gone already, and 19 goes with the Shadows

16. Philip Livingston (Taylor)

18. Lewis Morris (dancing)

19. Richard (Stars fall on) Stockton

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 05 Jul 2017, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

No.25 Benjamin Rush

No.29 James (Jimmy) Smith

No.35 Thomas (Dolby) McKean

No.52 Thomas (Kenny) Lynch

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(