Leaving Citroen ownership

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

Leaving Citroen ownership

Post by waynedance »

Its a sad day but the C5 is going to make way for a new motor.

I have been after an auto car and today purchased a Volvo S80 SE Lux 2.4 D5 2007 in gold of all colours.

The C5 is a great car and has had so much spent on her, tried to get the misses to have her but she says its too big. Pick the car up tomorrow, the D5 engine is a cracker and makes a nice noise when pushed, really happy with the car. Would have gone for a C6 but look an expensive car to run.

The C5 will more than likely be on here for sale soon (not sure what to sell for). It will be a great buy for someone and has had so much spent recently, discs, pads and calipers all round, new alloys in May, new guide tubes and hand brake cables, Bsi unit, 4 new injectors. Spent so much on her over the last 6.5 years of ownership even interior door handles and switches as the old ones were worn.

Well I hope the Volvo forum is as good as this one, thanks for all the help over the years.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Re: Leaving Citroen ownership

Post by Sl4yer »

Hi.

In the same position here - now without a Citroen for the first time in 20 years.

Bought my first ZX because it was cheap, and I passed the dealer every day on the way home from work! Loved it (despite the fragility of the lower powered cars) and eventually bought a 1.9TD Volcane, which was just fantastic. Then the Activa (say no more).

My wife's C3 wasn't such a happy relationship, but eventually it piled on the miles with little fuss or fuel.

We're all Japanese now. And the local petrol stations will be pleased!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have left Citroen but not PSA. My C5 was rather a disappointment after the XM's and CX's but I have found the Peugeot 406 Hdi to be a brilliant car, reliable, repairable and almost indestructible so I'm sticking with them - until they run out like the XM's did. :(

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm sticking to a Xantia as long as I can... My 1.9TD is a bloody sight more reliable and trustworthy than my Pug 207!!!

And a bloody sight nicer to drive too ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think the 406 is probably the best car they made, none of mine have have given any serious problems in fact I would say its the most reliable car I have ever had in over 60 years of motoring. Even things like the internal headlight adjusters still work at 16 years old on all three cars!

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 13:20 I think the 406 is probably the best car they made

I think you may be right there Peter... A close run thing with the 405 and 205 though although, on balance, the 406 is possibly better rust-proofed...

The 306 is another contender for the best car Peugeot ever made...

The 207 definitely isn't :lol: :twisted: :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Glad I didn't buy one then :-D

Peter
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

My new drive....its a superb car so many cool features, head lights washers that wash one at a time so keep max light on the road bless the Swedes.

Why I have not got an auto before now God only knows.
Attachments
rps20170704_001837.jpg
rps20170704_001929.jpg
Volvo S80 D5.........
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Looking very nice 8-) .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

waynedance wrote: 04 Jul 2017, 00:15 My new drive....its a superb car so many cool features, head lights washers that wash one at a time so keep max light on the road bless the Swedes.

Why I have not got an auto before now God only knows.

I like that. Which model is it, and which engine? I've agreed to buy a BMW 520d SE Touring to replace my Berlingo. I thought about a Volvo too.

Auto - yes. That's top of my list now. 25 years of changing gear manually is enough for anyone. Leather too, simply because it's easier to clean!
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

It's an S80 SE LUX 2.4 D5 5 cylinder. Looked a at few before finding this one about 100 miles a way, 2007 model with full Volvo dealer history.

Fancied an auto for a while, glad I did it drives great and the the engine roars when pushed sounds nothing like a diesel.
Volvo S80 D5.........
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Sorry, but (any health issues aside) autos are for people who don't like driving OR like cars that don't have a manual option/version (then there are Cherokees, for which completely different rules/considerations apply).
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

The D5 growl is satisfying. Keep an eye on the engine mount rubbers and their supply hoses, get a leak, the turbo turns off and the good noise is gone. Look into a riko, richo (something like that) remap. It turns the D5 into a real monster and gives better fuel economy when driven sensibly. Getting into a normal D5 after a remapped one the normal one feels lame.

Can't agree that autos are for people who dont like driving. In my opinion they suit a big cruiser like an s80 far better than a manual. I did a lot of miles in a manual S60 D5 and auto would have suited it better. It had no cornering ability worth mentioning and going between 4th and 5th gear with the cruise control on was a pain in the butt.
Small nimble cars are definately meant to be manual though.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

van ordinaire wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 23:28 Sorry, but (any health issues aside) autos are for people who don't like driving OR like cars that don't have a manual option/version

Nonsense. They make far better cruisers than manual cars, and are better now in nearly every way than a manual, unless you want to drive like a loony through the twisties.

I wouldn't buy an MX-5 auto (I've had 4 manual ones) but I'd not buy a manual BMW 535 D M-Sport Tourer either, even though it has 275bhp and enough torque to uproot trees. It's not the right sort of car.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

elma wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 23:57
Small nimble cars are definately meant to be manual though.

Small nimble cars need more power, then they could be auto. That's the issue with them, they're sluggish, though driving my dad's 05 plate Honda Jazz CVT-7 with the throttle mashed through the carpet all the time, through Athens was pretty good fun!