Timing belt Q for Jon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oscar Too
My Cars:

Timing belt Q for Jon

Post by Oscar Too »

Hello Jon
The project BX should pass its MoT today. Assuming this, the next jobs are timing belt, oil change and front bumper replacement (no, the brakes are fine - the bumper was like that when I bought it [:)]). My questions are: what GSF part no. is the timing belt for a G reg TZD? and do I need other bits of kit to change the belt?
I shall search the forum today and tomorrow. Do you know there is probably several manuals' worth of knowledge on this forum?
Oscar
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Oscar Too.
If the mileage is over 100k and whilst replacing cam belt.
Would recommend new water pump, radiator bottom hose and tensioner.
Most BX water pumps seals seem to fail at 100-140k.
Have a close inspection on heater flow and return hoses while your there.
If you renew bottom hose, ensure there's sufficient clearance on o/s drop link/anti roll bar. Have found some manufactures bottom hoses require trimming on the pump side by approx 25mm to maintain clearance.
R
Jon

Post by Jon »

N13113 is the timing belt.
When I did the timing belt on my BX TD I found that the water pump (N17010) was leaking badly, I agree with prm that its worth doing at the same time as the belt.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Hi Jon
Thanks for this. I had a cursory glance last week, and a closer examination of the job this week. When I took the GSF belt out, I noticed that it was only 2/3 the width of the old belt, and about 1/2 the width of the pulleys. Can this be correct? Is the Dayco timing belt really 1/3 as strong again so that it only needs to be 1/2 as wide as the pulleys? The info on the box mentions 1.4 Saxos, but doesn't mention 1.7 turbo-diesels. Forgive my asking - as a novice I don't want to steam ahead and put on a belt that won't work.
BTW the old belt seems to be in good nick - writing still visible, little or no cracking or wear on the teeth - does it need to be changed? Are there any rules of thumb one can apply?
Many thanks
Oscar
Jon

Post by Jon »

You've been given the wrong belt, it must be labelled up wrong or something, what you have there sounds like a belt for a TU petrol engine!