French cars spotted that we don't see often..

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: French cars spotted that we don't see often..

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Michel wrote:My first girlfriend had a Renault 5.... that turned into a bonfire. My uncle had a Renault 5..... that turned into a bonfire. My R5 GTt.... turned into a bonfire. My mate's R18... turned into a bonfire...

My sis-in-law's Scenic 07 plate auto.... didn't turn into a bonfire, but it's s**t.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Did the insurers not catch on? :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Re: RE: Re: French cars spotted that we don't see often..

Post by Michel »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
Michel wrote:My first girlfriend had a Renault 5.... that turned into a bonfire. My uncle had a Renault 5..... that turned into a bonfire. My R5 GTt.... turned into a bonfire. My mate's R18... turned into a bonfire...

My sis-in-law's Scenic 07 plate auto.... didn't turn into a bonfire, but it's s**t.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Did the insurers not catch on? :)
The only one that was ever claimed for other than my dad's Twingo was my DRK back in early 2015. The rest weren't worth the loss of NCB and hassle!
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

The only R5s I have any first hand experience of didn't turn into bonfires although the GTT me & a mate caught in a car park had made a valiant effort to do so... It was parked up with steam & all gurgling hell spitting forth from the pressure cap & was just about to have cold water poured into it's overheated engine. (guess it had a bad BHG but at least they took part of our advice and boiled a few kettles worth to top it back up, whether it saved the engine or not I don't know, I'm sure they were adamant about driving home)

The other one never got near burning, the battery wouldn't have had the oomph to light a bit of wire wool & the brakes leaked all their fluid before the engine had a chance to get in on the act & overheat...

That said, an R5 (even a sporty one) is still on my bucket list to own, as are a 25, 21, Fuego and Vel Satis :D
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

We hired on on Malta once, loved it (& I don't really like small cars) - I remember being particularly taken with the door pocket, carefully shaped to hold a wine bottle; si Francais!! :-D

I then determined that a 205 would be even better - & a GTI was mooted that, however, somehow morphed into a BMW 323i. Would still entertain either now (even I have to concede that an XJ40 is not the ideal device for Devon lanes :) ) but I suspect that they are now collectable &, therefore, over priced.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Almost posted a picture of a Fiat Vignale Samantha that I though looked nice, then realised it was Italian :(

Had never heard of that one previously.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

ekjdm14 wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 12:00 The only R5s I have any first hand experience of didn't turn into bonfires although the GTT me & a mate caught in a car park had made a valiant effort to do so... It was parked up with steam & all gurgling hell spitting forth from the pressure cap & was just about to have cold water poured into it's overheated engine. (guess it had a bad BHG but at least they took part of our advice and boiled a few kettles worth to top it back up, whether it saved the engine or not I don't know, I'm sure they were adamant about driving home)

The other one never got near burning, the battery wouldn't have had the oomph to light a bit of wire wool & the brakes leaked all their fluid before the engine had a chance to get in on the act & overheat...

That said, an R5 (even a sporty one) is still on my bucket list to own, as are a 25, 21, Fuego and Vel Satis :D

If you ever have the chance and money, buy a well sorted late 5 GTT, E or F reg. They're the most fun you can have on 4 wheels, utterly bonkers.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

The budget I tend to buy cars within would dictate some extreme good fortune (and complete madness on behalf of the seller!). Never paid more than £400 for a car, in fact I think it's closer to 3 ton. Have to admit a GTT would be a laugh but perhaps not suited to my current style of driving, a really good base spec car with beige interior and a tiny engine would be more "me", or a bad one stripped out with a matt respray & lowered on wide steelies with hub caps...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k