Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: There's nothing to stop them getting some standard Level 2 public chargers installed and hooked up to one of the charging networks like Charge Your Car though...

I'll keep an eye on this Simon, and see what develops... he charging points (all ten of them!) are getting very well used at the moment, perhaps not surprisingly...

There is something slightly surreal about seeing a row of ten EVs all plugged into their charging points - it's a bit like seeing a row of patients in hospital on drips...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I'm surprised the 'free charging at work' schemes don't fall into the category of a taxable company benefit ? I suppose if the actual cost of electricity consumed by each staff member utilising the scheme can be proved to low then HMRC won't be that interested ??
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

There's 'currently' huge political pressure towards electric/hybrid vehicles so these charging points may well be a way of management looking for ways to tick boxes.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Yes I was hoping to nip in with the 19,000th view of the thread with a ceremonial post but its gone! This is now 19001!

Here's the post anyway, it is an electric Renault Caravelle, range probably a couple of feet!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jun 2017, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: There is something slightly surreal about seeing a row of ten EVs all plugged into their charging points - it's a bit like seeing a row of patients in hospital on drips...

I got a giggle out of that Jim, I quite agree! :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The charging points at work have now all been switched off 'until further notice'...

The real reason was a whole raft of complaints were received from a high proportion of the staff workforce and they were forced to take action...

They have covered themselves by saying they were on initial test only pending the installation of a charging mechanism....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Gotta love back-peddling Jim! :-D
Simon

1978 CX 2400
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:Gotta love back-peddling Jim! :-D

We see it as a victory Simon ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

A pause in between discussions of weighty matters about electric vehicles, but bang on topic still, they are BEV's after all :-D

Other models of "Teleguidee" Electrique French cars are available as well as the rather nice Renault Caravelle ceremoniously posted up earlier. Not giveaways though sort-after automobillia. 480 Euros for the Peugeot.
They were made by a French toy company GeGe.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I had a remote controlled car that followed the exact same principle of those above...

I cannot recall what it was now... I have a feeling it may have been an Austin Cambridge... Pretty sure it wasn't French...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:A pause in between discussions of weighty matters about electric vehicles, but bang on topic still, they are BEV's after all :-D

Other models of "Teleguidee" Electrique French cars are available as well as the rather nice Renault Caravelle ceremoniously posted up earlier. Not giveaways though sort-after sought after automobillia. 480 Euros for the Peugeot.
They were made by a French toy company GeGe.

Sorry Neil :-D
Regards Neil
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

No problem Gibbo slip of the brain keyboard!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I'm sure some of us have heard that Richard Hammond has crashed again, fortunately he got out with minor injuries compared to last time.

The reason for posting in this thread is that it was a Rimac Concept One that he crashed - the fastest EV sports car in the world, and a car that I've posted videos about in this thread before.

Apparently it slid down a hill and after he got out it caught fire and burnt to the ground. As there are just a handful of the Rimac Concept one's in existence and they cost over $1m each, I hope Amazon has a rather large insurance policy for The Grand Tour! :shock: #-o :twisted:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... o-10599724

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/heres- ... ncept-one/

I really don't think these three old codgers are qualified to drive vehicles this powerful and dangerous... :rofl2:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

This tour of the architecture of the Chevy Bolt might be interesting to some of you that like to know how things work:

I particularly like the section on the motor and gearbox at about 6 minutes 30 seconds. It's quite amazing when you see how compact a 200hp AC motor is - the motor and gearbox together are considerably smaller than a 200hp ICE engine without a gearbox, once you take into account all the ancillaries on an ICE.

Interesting to note that the Bolt's motor and gearbox are oil coiled internally with a pumped oil circuit and then there is a heat exchanger between oil and normal glycol coolant to take the heat away externally - similar to the oil cooling with heat exchanger of an automatic gearbox, and different to most EV motors where the motor is directly cooled by a glycol coolant jacket in the housing of the motor, similar to the cooling of a water jacket in a normal engine.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 14:54Interesting to note that the Bolt's motor and gearbox are oil coiled internally and then there is a heat exchanger between oil and normal glycol coolant to take the heat away externally - similar to the oil cooling with heat exchanger of an automatic gearbox, and different to most EV motors where the motor is directly cooled by a glycol coolant jacket in the housing of the motor, similar to the cooling of a water jacket in a normal engine.

That sounds like a sensible way of doing it Simon as oil is an insulator so it can be in closer contact to the source of the heat. Also, in an accident glycol might be a hazard as it's conductive and could cause all sorts of trouble if it gets in amongst the motor internals...
Jim