Tartan Travel Rugs and other Nostalgic Motoring Accessories

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Tartan Travel Rugs and other Nostalgic Motoring Accessories

Post by white exec »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:They must have liked to pump their tyres up hard in those days...
Narrow (car) tyres = higher pressures, to support a given weight.
Do I vaguely remember my pushbike tyres being 90psi? Was a long time ago. Jim'll know.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Now I wonder how many "Tyre alarm booklets" remain to definitively answer your question Jim? :)
You'd be surprised at what turns up Neil...

I know when i cleared out dad's place I found lots of little treasures, not least an Austin A40 Owners Handbook...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

white exec wrote: Do I vaguely remember my pushbike tyres being 90psi? Was a long time ago. Jim'll know.
Sounds about right on a road bike. Those on super skinnys may even go above 110psi.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:
white exec wrote: Do I vaguely remember my pushbike tyres being 90psi? Was a long time ago. Jim'll know.
Sounds about right on a road bike. Those on super skinnys may even go above 110psi.
It is about right :D My TCR tyres run at 110psi and my Defy runs at 80 psi in the interests of comfort...

Got a magical track pump called 'Joe Blow' to inflate them... Five or six strokes and it's done :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well the good old Heinz Wolseley Hornets have had an airing on the FCF before, but this little display by the Crayford Convertible Car Club at their stand at this weekend's Classic Car Motor Show at the NEC, does include the very essence of this thread. One of Honest John's picks of highlights of the show...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

CitroJim wrote:
elma wrote:
It is about right :D My TCR tyres run at 110psi and my Defy runs at 80 psi in the interests of comfort...

Got a magical track pump called 'Joe Blow' to inflate them... Five or six strokes and it's done :D
me as well......................da da boom !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

At the NEC there was a whole stand selling period picnic baskets and allied accessories... Would have gone a treat with that lovely Hornet... I missed that one...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Been a while but this is the appropriate place for this random link.

Steve's (Myglaren) post on the PE Jukebox thread of this PJ Harvey track, features Stefania Sandrelli from the movie "La Bella di Lodi" (1963) driving around in an Alfa Romeo Giulia ( or maybe a Giulietta) Spider. At around 14 seconds in, Signorina Sandrelli utilises a nostalgic motoring accessory.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Never saw that Neil but then I go around with my eyes closed most of the time, which is probably why I didn't see a single electric car in 160 miles of driving on Saturday :(
There were probably loads but just register as 'cars' on my radar.
NewcastleFalcon

Well I was disapointed not to see an official and original tartan travel rug spilling out of the contents of this Riley Elf.

Surely that table was not an official accessory!
Thirlestane Castle 4/6/2017<br />L.Falcon Own work
Thirlestane Castle 4/6/2017
L.Falcon Own work
But the real interest is at the front, that bonnet with grill attached leaves a nice little "maintenance hole".
P1040753.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I just adore the Elf, and it's sister, the Hornet :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Jim you've brought up the century of replies up for those of us who enjoy numbers!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Thanks Jim you've brought up the century of replies up for those of us who enjoy numbers!

No longer! It'll now be 101!
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Of all the Minis, every last one of which I hated with avengeance, the Hornet, Elf (+ the one & only MG Gnat) were the most loathsome, even more than that gross travesty the Clubman (the forerunner of the modern Maximini) - but not as evil to work on as the van/pick-up!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Back n the day a friend drove an Elf (Riley, not pointy eared). The advantage of that useful maintenance hole was well outweighed by the pain every time you bumped your head on the (Bleep) grille when ever you did any work on the engine.

Anyway this thread has got me thinking about odd stuff I have (or maybe had) somewhere in the garage, including a chrome cigarette holder/dispenser/lighter. Will try to dig it out and post a photo or two.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini