This will probably sound daft but i'll ask anyway..

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

This will probably sound daft but i'll ask anyway..

Post by stu9 »

Right...i've got 2 C4 coupes...an 06 1.4 16v (thats the one in the other post with oil in the plug holes)....the other's an 05 1.6 hdi..my question is..

When in the 1.6 it feels heavier, the steering heavier infact quite a good taut feel to it compared the 1.4...it is just me or is the hdi better built or mainly because the engine's a bit heavier than the petrol..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: This will probably sound daft but i'll ask anyway..

Post by CitroJim »

If the steering is anything like my 1.4 207 Stu, it is massively over-assisted and commendably finger-light at parking speeds but it totally lacks any feel and gives no real feedback...

I don't believe this is because it's electrically assisted as the electrically assisted set-up in the Citroen C1/Pug 107 is in a totally different league and works exceptionally well.

I can't comment on the diesel version as I have no experience of it but is that electrically or hydraulically assisted?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Yep the steering on the 1.4 is to light for my liking, good and quite precise but to light if that make any sense. But as you say no or hardly any feel compared to what I'm used to. Yes I think it's hydraulic on the 1.6 and that's probably the difference.

The last car I had with feather light steering was an Audi A6 and hated it. It's bad enough having little to no feedback in a small car but in something like the A6 but a bit off putting...well it was for me.

So the car's are the same so must just that one's electric and one's hydraulic.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Could be tyre sizes as well.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

The problem with the C4 - or with my old 2.0 16v VTS petrol was that the steering is set up for driving fast. Honestly, at anything below 80mph, it was over assisted! Above that, and it weighted up nicely and had loads of feel. The 207, even though it's only a 1.4 is much the same. It's lifeless around town and pottering on the motorway, but brilliant if I drive it like I stole it (like *I* stole it, not like Jim stole it :-P )

Don't see what the fuss is all about myself, I always thought Xantias had horrible steering with a huge lack of feel!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: brilliant if I drive it like I stole it (like *I* stole it, not like Jim stole it :-P )

:rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My c4 vts was the same as Mikes. At ordinary speeds there was no feel about it, but thrash it and it felt a different car. The xantia activa had crap steering feel until I put on 215/45x17 uniroyal tyres on it which helped. I think its highly possible the c4 1.4 will have 175/65x14 wheels and tyres, the 1.6hdi could have 205/55x16 so there will be a big difference in strreing feel even with the streeing systems being the exact same. The vts had 205/50x17 as standard but a lot of people changes them for 215/45x17 on the standard wheels, I had 225/40x18 on my vts.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
stu9

Post by stu9 »

It's 225/45/17 on mine (1.4) I think they're to big, christ that's the same size I had on a v70. I might (if I keep it a while which is doubtful) put 205 or 215 16s on....we'll see.