I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Classic car Spring/Summer Collection-2017

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I hope you didn't try to ride down Wookey Hole
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I hope you didn't try to ride down Wookey Hole

No, not a chance, as I recall there was very little down on the ride... Most of it was up :lol:

The bits that were down were very technical and slightly terrifying if I'm being honest, especially as lots of gravel had been washed out onto the surface during the overnight storms and to a cyclist it's like ice :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I don't think it should be here, but (on the way back to Reading from Basingstoke) I saw a Dakota DC3 in olive green and with the zebra stripes.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Classic car spring/summer season 2016-What have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I don't think it should be here, but (on the way back to Reading from Basingstoke) I saw a Dakota DC3 in olive green and with the zebra stripes.
Just thread searched "zebra", I thought one had sneaked in before :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:Well, a Dakota DC3 (but with the zebra stripes) has just flown over my house in Reading. Sorry, but I didn't get to the camera in time.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/rafcms/media ... CB3FDC.jpg

Not many about so a very good chance it was this one :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Every now and then one of the Spitfires out of Goodwood does its 'thing' right over head at work. The pilot is obviously having wayyyy too much fun up there :) It's normally a cue for me to down tools and watch the display for a few minutes. I could join him in the two-seater cockpit.... if I was prepared to stump up the £2.5k for the occasion :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Main one today was a 70s era "flat nose" Mini Clubman in bright sky blue - notable for me because that's the earliest car my parents had that I have any (admittedly vague) memory off. Stacks of the 82 Metro 1.3HLS that came after it, and even more of the 86 Nova 1.2 Antibes (sorry Jim) that followed it.

Couple of MGs out with the tops down as they should be, and one gent in a white Ford Anglia heading down the A5 who spotted me in the Lada and gave an enthusiastic wave. Always nice when that happens.

Gravel in unexpected locations on the road can be slightly terrifying in a rear wheel drive car with rather heavy and slow steering too...like on either the Stantonbury or Neath Hill roundabouts (can't remember which one it was) after someone had managed to wedge a BMW between two of the trees overnight a couple of months back, and had in doing so liberally distributed what looked like about half a tonne of gravel and earth over the (damp) road.

At least - assuming they couldn't see the look of abject terror on my face - my passing by must have looked good for any onlookers...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
NewcastleFalcon

Quite an event today in the Scottish Borders. It was the 45th Annual BVA Historic Motoring Extravaganza on Sunday 4 June 2017 at Thirlestane Castle with over 1,000 vehicles on display.

We came away having bought one vehicle and very nearly with another.

Here's what we bought, and it went down a storm with the youngest member of our clan!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1017/ ... 1457083157

Now having shelled out big money on the first purchase, I noticed a forlorn looking car, that had seen better days, in its scratched metallic paint, flipped it over and had a peek at its underside, and there it was....Citroen Xantia embossed in its black plastic underbody :-D £2 on the sticker....and needing a respray....too much work needed for a proper restoration I'm afraid so it remained lonely and unsold!

Something like this one

https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2014/ ... 5dcd54.jpg

Should have a few pics to follow, excellent day, lovely sunshine at times but a decent downpour as well, and all the way back home blue skies and fluffy white clouds, I would say Citroens/Peugeots/Renaults notable only for their absence probably less than a dozen all told, 1CX, 1DS, couple of 2CV's, a single Renault 4 and that was about it.

The most interesting French thing was a Renault Estafette, nicely painted in what I would call a "provencale blue" with a white roof promoting the "Flat Cat Cafe" which is a well known refreshment stop in Lauder on the A68.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Love the ice cream van Neil :)

I have one of those model Xantias.. Mine is blue, is a bit scruffy and sits on my sphere tester...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Love the ice cream van Neil :)

I have one of those model Xantias.. Mine is blue, is a bit scruffy and sits on my sphere tester...

Go on Jim , Take a pic of it and shove it up on POTD....it hasn't had a post for a bit, and its the type of thing I
thrive on :-D

I intend to splatter some of my pics from yesterday across a few threads, starting with a deliberately off-topic post on the "H-Vans" thread :-D . I'll leave POTD alone though in anticipation of the toy Xantia's debut in its honoured position on the sphere tester :-D

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, I will do just that... Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53436&p=536468#p536468
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Now as well as seeing literally over 1000 classic cars at Thirlstane Castle, its a bit like seeing animals in a zoo. An in the wild spot is far more satisfying. So here's a couple of escapees on the A68 driving south round about Carter Bar on the England/Scotland border.

Followed this lovely two tone 1949 Daimler DB18 from Jedburgh over the border, before easing past it in Ellesmere Port's finest.
A68 Carter Bar Blue Skies and Fluffy white clouds over Northumberland L.Falcon own work
A68 Carter Bar Blue Skies and Fluffy white clouds over Northumberland L.Falcon own work
..and the other side of the coin, Ellesmere Port's Finest being overtaken by a Jaguar XK150, just across the border. Have to say the brake lights on that Jag were useless in comparison to mine!
P1040832.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

When is a Crayford Conversion not a crayford Conversion....

When its one of these
going one better than the CCC this is from the CCCC (Crayford Convertible Car Club) here

http://www.crayfordconvertibleclub.com/ ... rover.html

October 1969 saw the launch of the Rover P6 Estate. Never a true Crayford, the name has stuck over the years. The P6 estate was entirely the idea and work of Nobby Fry at FLM Panelcraft, Fulham, who's firm were building most of the B.M.C estates for Crayford under licence, for sale as Crayfords.

The first FLM P6 prototype was a pig, the rear roof drooped like a VW beetle back. David and Jeff at Crayford got Nobby drunk one night in an effort to tell him the truth, it was ugly. When sobered up next day he still wanted to go ahead, so Crayford agreed to do the PR, brochure and marketing for the car but only if the roof line was raised.

Crayford sold the first 100 cars and it was such a success, that H.R. Owen and Hurst Park Autos took over their liaison with FLM. The estate was an ideal second car for your Rolls. Today the Rover club believe over 400 were sold and, as a second car for the country estate, many survived well and cars are easy to find, the V8 estate in particular is still very sort after.
This example spotted at Thirlestane is a V8 Estate. The colour has to be almond hasn't it Chris :?:
Thirlestane Castle 04/06/2017<br />L.Falcon own work
Thirlestane Castle 04/06/2017
L.Falcon own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

That looks too yellow to be "almond" which I always thought was a shade of green.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Almond it is, Neil. A 3500S (V8 manual) Estate is a rare thing indeed.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've never seen a V8 estate in the metal. Were they all specials or regular factory production?

That colour does not suit such a special car... To bland. Black roof looks good though...
Jim