Leaky fuel pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Leaky fuel pump

Post by Jaf »

Sigh. Fred's Bosch fuel pump seems to be leaking from an end plate, the side closest to the engine. The goldy bit with 302 on this pic of the old pump (the one on the car is second hand, changed 4 years ago). Tried to get a camera scope in there but it's too tight. Leaks after about 30 secs, drips merrily for a few minutes and then stops. Will be a pump out to change it.

Any thoughts?
IMG_2127.JPG
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Leaky fuel pump

Post by CitroJim »

This might help Jaf... A reseal is required and this web page will give you some clues as to how to go about it...

You are half way there as you are already de-armoured :)

http://www.eastment.net/boschpump1.htm

Feel free to ask any supplementary questions ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Jim. I think I'm just going to have to do it. I am nervous about about taking the pump apart, it's that top cover. Glad to read that those timing device cover seals leak.

Would be great to finally cure the leak from the air valve.

Have seen a new old stock pump online. Wondering if it's been stored correctly and would work.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf wrote: Have seen a new old stock pump online. Wondering if it's been stored correctly and would work.

Stored correctly - either dry or full of light mineral oil and NOT diesel - and it'll be fine but make sure it's the right one... Many variations but they all look much the same...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

It's got the same Bosch number on it. Would have to bring it back on the airplane in hand luggage! Will take the pump off tonight and have a look.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Jaf wrote:It's got the same Bosch number on it. Would have to bring it back on the airplane in hand luggage! Will take the pump off tonight and have a look.

Can see that being fun to explain to customs.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

If it has the same Bosch part number Jaf, then it'll be fine...
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Yeah...might book a hold case! If I manage to buy the new pump. My sister took a starter motor to India once for my dad's vw camper. But that was quite a different time.

Anyway, got the pump off and seal changed. Seal was brittle, sort of crunchy. Ran her for a couple of minutes, all seems fine. Will put the covers back on tomorrow.

Except noticed one of the auxiliary belt rollers is wonky. It makes the belt run wrong just after the crank pulley, but it runs true at the LHM pump. It's no 3 on this diagram. Looks like the whole thing comes as one piece?
IMG_2137.JPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It is vital that the No.3 Tensioner is in excellent condition Jaf. Yours is not and it must be replaced as soon as possible.

The problem it is suffering from can cause the auxiliary belt to come off the rollers and end up tangling with the cambelt with disastrous consequences...

Do not delay replacement! Ideal time to do it whilst the pump is out of the way ;)
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Oh rats! Wish I'd seen it before putting the pump back on, but better to have noticed it now rather than once the belt's snapped. Found your excellent guide Jim. And the shop had one in stock. Will change it Saturday rather than waiting to see if I win the new pump. Am hoping it goes well as do not want to drive to the airport in my dad's Ax rather than Fred!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased you found the guide useful Jaf :D

I'd rather drive the AX than risk a cam calamity!
Jim

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

CitroJim wrote:I'd rather drive the AX than risk a cam calamity!

Shouldn't that be camality?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote:
CitroJim wrote:I'd rather drive the AX than risk a cam calamity!

Shouldn't that be camality?

Yes, I reckon that's a perfect word for it Guy!!! Better get on to the Oxford English Dictionary quickly to get it in the next edition ;)
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Smirk. Anyways no camality for me. Got the tensioner changed. With mine it was the sleeve around the bolt that has gone, rather than the belt roller. Just a tiny amount but it made a big difference to the angle. Used a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter to get in the square hole, of course the new unit was different!

Changed the rear spheres too, back to wafting over speed bumps.
IMG_2142.JPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D

Good work Jaf =D>
Jim