Catton Hall Classic car show

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Catton Hall Classic car show

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

demag wrote: I think that's about it, I hope you enjoyed them.

The ones that caught my attention from your pics

The GSA with the Tartan seats!
The Imp, and I always like an MGA.

..and the Morris JB Van with the expressive face, the very one featured on the wiki page

and as a random aside Sattchi and Sattchi did a bit of work for Cadbury's in Australia, featuring a Morris J Van

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Love the 205 GTi and the PA Cresta :D

the Mini appeals as well!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

The Cresta had some rosettes on the parcel shelf from previous shows. I didn't get a good luck at the 205 as Wifey was getting a bit bored then and lagging behind.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Very nostalgic, I learned to drive in an Austin A40 van, not with a V8 engine in it though, I had a Super snipe, two in fact and also several versions of the Cresta, including the one in the picture. They were the days you used to carry a toolkit and puncture repair outfit with you. 8-)

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: They were the days you used to carry a toolkit and puncture repair outfit with you. 8-)

I still do Peter... Both on my bikes ;)

I used to carry a puncture repair kit in my R4s back in the 70s and 80s as they ran tubed tyres... Several were the times I fixed punctures by the side of the road!

I still carry a comprehensive toolkit (plus LHM) now if travelling any distance... I feel naked without...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

When I had my first car, a 1939 Ford Prefect I always carried a set of tyre levers, rubber solution and an old inner tube to make patches from, it was quite a common occurrence to have to repair a tyre on the way to the coast (about 60 miles) I could be seen sitting on the grass verge taking a tyre off or fixing it. Most had no tread of course but once they had worn through to the inner tube there wasn't a lot more you could do. No tyre laws then.

I remember the excitement of getting two part worn tyres with quite a good tread for the princely sum of £4.00, that was most of my weeks wages, but we were happy in those days.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: but we were happy in those days.

I don't know about you Peter but I'm very happy these days too... A lot happier than I've ever been I reckon :D
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I think in those days life was a lot harder, more brutal in some respects. But it was also a lot simpler, no computers or mobile phones, hardly any traffic. I remember the breadman and the milkman on their horse and carts. :-) I didn't have a particularly happy childhood but I'm happy now although life is a lot more complicated. Can't have it all ways I spose.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Last edited by demag on 12 May 2017, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Technology was much simpler and if you were involved in it you had the opportunity to experiment with it, no 'elf and safety' you could cobble up things and experiment. Electronics were a lot simpler too, my early years in the TV trade where you could see exactly how things worked made for easy repair and dare I say it modification, in fact practically every thing in life was simpler. I was blessed with a happy childhood, nothing to do with my parents or money - I didn't have any, (money that is) but it was interesting, by poking my nose into things I got a number of invitations to look round various plants, a brand new gasworks and an ice making plant in Penzance when we were on holiday for instance, this was in about 1950 though.

I used to maintain the PA system in a paper mill as part of my work in the '50s and had free run of the place, I had a thirst for knowledge and this sort of thing brought me immense enjoyment.

Jim

You are happy because you are content with the simpler things (apart from Citroens) and get lots of exercise as most people did back then, I used to cycle everywhere as did many people, there were not many cars. The present system of things has made many people unhealthy and dare I say, lazy and fat. :wink:

Keep it up Jim.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Those days you describe Peter were indeed pretty idyllic for sorts like us and I can identify with a great deal of it...

I do actually fondly remember those days and my early years were really pretty special and magical despite a lot of problems to overcome...

Radio, TV and electronics were simpler in those days unless you were looking at my particular passions such as dual-standard Philips G6 and the old Decca CTV25 or even the BRC 2000 colour TVs - I'd never say they were simple and uncomplicated but great fun to repair - oh the memories, they are still etched on my brain even though it was getting on for 45 years ago now!

Peter.N. wrote: Jim

You are happy because you are content with the simpler things (apart from Citroens) and get lots of exercise as most people did back then, I used to cycle everywhere as did many people, there were not many cars. The present system of things has made many people unhealthy and dare I say, lazy and fat. :wink:

Keep it up Jim.

That is absolutely spot-on :) I keep life as simple as possible these days and boy, is it a good plan! I've just returned from a pre-lunch 3.5 mile run and I feel brilliant. Now eating lunch before taking a relatively quiet afternoon before going kayaking this evening...

On Sunday I'm really looking forward to going to the National Vintage Communications Fair (NVCF)

https://www.nvcf.org.uk/

I think you'd love it Peter ;)
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That looks interesting Jim, unfortunately I am up to my eyes in it at the moment, just done the cam belt on the 406 and have numerous other things to do before we go to Scotland in a few weeks, including cutting some more trees down and logging them - at least that bit is relatively healthy :wink:

Peter