Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Thats exactly what ours did. Its been welded on once and broke off again. At the moment running with wire round the exhaust and through the rubber hanger. Its been like that a while now. I havent been in the 107 for a few weeks now. Its Shauns work hack at the moment. His Skoda should be back on the road this weekend so I may use the 107 some more. Ive done a brim to brim check on lilpug, only doing 32mpg. Seems heavy but i suppose for an old skool auto, 1.6 and more than 1/2 the time in the town its ok. I do tend to use it for nipping to the shops etc, bigpug is not the best of things to find parking spaces. It really is a long and wide car. All pugs running as they should. If the worst bit about any of them is a bit of wire holding an exhaust up on babypug then theres not anything to worry about [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
Posts: 5310
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
x 1597

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Zelandeth »

To be fair the exhaust looks crusty as, and I just poked the top of the silencer discovering that it's started to unravel itself and is blowing there. Time for a new rear section methinks. ...for all being able to actually hear it fizzing away happily anywhere over 3000rpm is fun.

...or maybe the whole lot given how simple a system it is...surely opening it up a bit would help the thing breathe better. Even the 750cc Fiat Panda we had years back had a wider bore exhaust...hmm...

It's done eight years and just under 63K miles, so not going to complain at that. Especially from a car at this end of the market.

32mpg sounds about right for that car under those sorts of conditions. I'd expect that to jump up to at least the mid 40s on a decent run though.
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

For how simple the exhaust is on a 107, and after that time i would go for a custom cat back stainless steel job. That would outlast the car, and let you hear the 3 cylinder burble from it, whack in a k&n air filter too and you might get a little more poke and a nice sound.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
Posts: 5310
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
x 1597

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Zelandeth »

That's kind of my thinking. It's already got a drop-in K&N filter in, which definitely makes a difference. That went in I think the day after it officially became mine to look after rather than having to muck about with warranty approved service centres.

Always liked the look of the centre twin exhaust that the Sport XS edition of the 107 got. It seems infantile I know, but just suits the cheeky feel of the car I think. Found a couple that I like the look of online too.

Hadn't really driven it properly in a while until last week, had really forgotten how much of a grin it can still put on my face - largely what made me buy it in the first place when I had a shot of the Citroen C1 pool cars at work.

Methinks it might be time to get some quotes. When I'm done with the current project anyway, it'll have to wait till after that! Do wonder if there are any options for the 107 in terms of remaps too...I still reckon that flat spot at 4.5K is an issue with the fuel mapping. Decent air filter, bit bigger (not ridiculous...) exhaust and a slightly less economy minded remap, do wonder what difference that could make...
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

I like the centre shotgun exit on them too. Sometimes i have to poke myself to remind me that im 53 and not still 20 lol. Wont get much extra from a remap, but wouldnt need much extra to notice a difference.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Shaun has his skoda back on the road. New MOT and taxed and insured. The 107 was lying at a big shed him and a few of his mates rent between them, its about 10 miles from home. I gave him a lift there a couple of hours ago to pick up the 107. He has just appeared home. He came in and said you getter come out and see the 107 I've just hit a deer at 70mph. I was expecting to go out to see it well damaged, like bonnet, lights, bumper possible windscreen damage. I could not believe my eyes. Lost the passender side little grille for foglight blank again, split the plastic chrome strip across the front. Thats it! Theres blood and fur from the deer, which is dead, but no further signs of anything having happened. That car is a hardy little bugger, the abuse it has endured and the only thing it has done is liking a wee drink of oil now and then. Its indestructible!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
demag
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 1441
Joined: 18 Oct 2004, 05:03
x 102

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by demag »

Is the deer in the freezer? :-)

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

I would have had it home and hanging off the scaffolding by now to bleed it [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8390

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by CitroJim »

Shaun was lucky as those little deer can be very dangerous... I've almost had a few but managed to avoid them....

Good to know how the 107 took it :) I saw a friend's VW Pisspot thing that had hit one and it suffered damage a-plenty...

Including taking out the aircon condenser...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
mickeymoon

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by mickeymoon »

My Activa, when I bought it, was a Cat D from a collision with ... a badger! Those bloody things are like hairy rocks, it had done, going off the bills, an enormous amount of damage to the lower front end of the car! Bumper, fogs, a/c condenser and pump, sump, pipes, loads of bits - all replaced by a Citroen dealer, hence the Cat D!

I struck a deer a glancing blow with one of my MX5s a few years ago, but I did crash into a sheep on a motorcycle many years ago!

Most amusing deer-related F1 clip...

Last edited by myglaren on 08 May 2017, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 1988
Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
x 263

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by ekjdm14 »

Davie, I've just seen the pics of your 205 and have to ask, as well as the FCF sticker in the back window, is that also a Richard Mullock car sales sticker in the centre? Must check further through your blog sometime, but did you get the car from down here?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

I bought the car in Crewe. It is a Richard Mullock sales sticker. It was a one owner car. I never met the lady who owned it, it was a very close family member who sold the car on her behalf as she was no longer capable of driving. The original sticker and numberplates are staying put!

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 1988
Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
x 263

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by ekjdm14 »

Brilliant, I don't recall ever seeing that particular car around town (I had the misfortune to live in Crewe the last 15 years or so, now escaped to Congleton!)

It looks to have been kept garaged or at least in a better area & glad it too has made it out of there. I wonder if it originally came from Grocotts since I was under the impression Mullock's were used car dealers & certainly Grocotts ought to have been the PSA franchise at the time it was new.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

It spent the vast majority of its life in an integral garage at the ladys house I am led to believe. Which would be true given the condition of it and only 33000 miles in 24 years. She lived lately at Jukes cottages, Corbrook, Audlem. I have the original purchase reciept dated 19th march 1993 from Richard Mullock & Sons ltd, Hough Garage, Cobbs Lane, Hough, Crewe for the car with 12 months tax £9685, plus an alarm £125, mudflaps £45, and petrol £10 making a grand total of £10045. l bought a brand new rover 216gti on 3rd jan 1993 and it was £10500. It only lasted 7 years, 2 with me before it was never taxed again!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 1988
Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
x 263

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by ekjdm14 »

Wow, that's truly amazing. love finding a car with so much original documentation. That's one of the main reasons I refuse to modify (or just plain get rid of!) our Escort. One owner & garaged until 102k in 2007 then it was traded in needing a clutch which was done & it then sat unloved on a semi-abandoned forecourt, where the owner has seemingly got into the building trade but kept selling one or two cars, until Feb last year when we rescued and revived it. (8+ years standing and the Bosch battery came back to life and is on the car now!) We have the purchase slip and even some unused Keycode stickers for the windows and the dangly tag off the mirror :D

That 205 does have quite the edge over our one-owner toy though, in that it's done a third of the miles and has retained both it's dealer plates as well as managing to stay garaged till much more recently. The Escort has suffered a minor front end bump at some point as the plate is a generic one and there's overspray from the bumper repair. (EDIT- Also being a Ford it's rusty as a rusty thing can rust, and being metallic red has huge lacquer peel issues... Not just PSA metallics that suffer this fate)

Would be a real shame to modify yours in a way it couldn't be put back original too Davie, I love the pepperpots on it mind & they're a worthy upgrade but do keep a pair of original bumpers in stock and if it ever needs a respray I move that you keep the colour the same. It looks lovely and it'd be cheaper to not have to strip it all the way down for a colour change ;)

That Rover, if it's anything like the 214Si I bought around the time your GTi vanished off the radar, probably blew it's gearbox as opposed to the HG, they were dropping like flies with gearbox issues at the time I seem to recall. Even a mate's Metro/111 spat it's cogs, they jump out of reverse at first & then start jamming in gear before finally starting to strip teeth and lose drive :(
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project