Peugeot Classics

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Peugeot Classics

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Apologies Peugeot enthusiasts. No slick advertising presentation of a Peugeot classic vehicle in a minute-long video clip. No something much more meaty to get your teeth into. Its a film...yes that's a film....you can tell with the crackles, the "floaters" and the poor picture quality. Added to that...it is in French from start to finish, and it lasts nearly an hour (probably lost the instant gratification crowd already!). Also, added to that, it spends quite some time getting to the point...it starts off with birdsong and church bells, a merry tune on the harmonica.....but lap it up enjoy it for what it is...you don't get that timeless waffle too much these days.

A modern factory full of robots and 1000 miles from the nearest foundry, isn't going to turn out cars like they used to in 1954......I found it fascinating.....hope you enjoy it! :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Peugeot Classics

....and for a mere £5,000 you can buy one from Berkshire! After all that work, people and machinery involved, cheap at the price still!

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/ ... 115223.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Ever wondered where the lion emblem for Peugeot comes from?

Well, the hour long film would give you a clue, its the coat-of-arms of Sochaux

Blason ville fr Sochaux (Doubs) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], by ℍenry 16/07/2007
Image created for the Blazon Project of the French Wikipedia, from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That wasn't long before my first Peugeot was made, a 404, diesel even! seats like arm chairs, the best column change I have ever driven, didn't perform badly for its time but was it noisy!

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

That film makes you appreciate just what it takes to construct a car. I can't imaging Nissan at Sunderland or Tesla in the US having an on-site foundry, with molten metal all over the place. I liked the forging of the con rods, and the casting of the engine blocks, with the team of workers with the minimal protective clothing, with a nice touch being the "Skimmer" pushing back the crud as his workmate poured the metal into the mould.

This is the bit of the I mean, if you haven't watched the entire film. Berets seemed compulsory when dealing with hot metal!

https://youtu.be/atP0kFM-Xko?t=613

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote:That wasn't long before my first Peugeot was made, a 404, diesel even! seats like arm chairs, the best column change I have ever driven, didn't perform badly for its time but was it noisy!

Peter

Peter, you and others may find this 25 minute, mini documentary worth a watch,

La Peugeot 404-Une voiture de legende.

It's in French but I am getting quite used to the language, and the pictures are both nostalgic and interesting.
Takes a while to get onto the 404 (6 mins or so) , with a bit of complimentary Peugeot history.

Regards Neil

PS "Une Voiture de Legend" appears to be a bit of a series with many other French Models covered.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for that Neil, very nostalgic, I understood about three words :wink: Mine was black with a webasto sunroof and an Indenor XD88 engine, the forerunner of the engines used in the Sierra and Granada. I notice that one had a dynamo, I dont think mine did but it was about the changeover time.

Apart from the noise it was a beautiful car to drive, good ride and handling for its time, very comfortable and pretty good economy too.

Peter
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Amazing to watch those job tasks and think of the amount of Repetitive Strain Injury!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
NewcastleFalcon

lexi wrote:Amazing to watch those job tasks and think of the amount of Repetitive Strain Injury!

..and the guys doing the spray painting day in day out year after year no sign of masks. Health and Safety often comes in for a bit of stick, but what awful jobs.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

With this thread coming up at random on the FCF Archives February Ferret, excellent excuse to add to it!

Mick came up with a very good looking Peugeot here
mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 09:34 I have a feeling that this may climb out of this thread's theme but I am sure I am not the only one who likes the look of it: :-D

Details here.
and from a few years ago this bit of original Falcon photography of a car in the category of gorgeous 1970's coupes

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 01 Feb 2023, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 21:33 With this thread coming up at random on the FCF Archives February Ferret, excellent excuse to add to it!

Mick came up with a very good looking Peugeot here
mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 09:34 I have a feeling that this may climb out of this thread's theme but I am sure I am not the only one who likes the look of it: :-D

Regards Neil
I was certainly right with my prediction of the car climbing out of the 'Classic for under 10k' thread, the hammer came down today with the winning bid at £40,000 ! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Nice and quirky Mick found this one here..

viewtopic.php?p=746939#p746939

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey