Selling cars privately.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Selling cars privately.

Post by lexi »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
lexi wrote: But to hell with that standing in the PO to tax a car. More often than not, the best car is the one you got! All this changing cars costs time and money. After having multi cars for many years, the car I have get's kept, if it is going or can be fixed. I don't give a monkeys now about "the next car"

You would have enjoyed it in the fifties when local councils were the taxing authority, I recall waiting four hours in a queue a mile long and six deep at Birmingham tax office on the quarterly tax days to tax cars our company had sold.

Often you'd get a jumped up bureaucrat at the desk who would find some minor discrepancy in the form and send you to redo it and go to the back of the queue.

I heard all about it from many. Even in the 70's you would trepse around insurance brokers, in and out their offices to get a policy. Hard to believe now.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote: Even in the 70's you would trepse around insurance brokers, in and out their offices to get a policy. Hard to believe now.

Yes, but now we just traipse around websites... Not much difference really...

Different medium/modus but same old sh1t...

At least in the 70s there was some chance of some decent interpersonal contact and a bit of social banter whilst you waited plus a bit of exercise waking around...

Now it's just a scripted exchange of information with a robot who may or may not be human in a galaxy far away :twisted:

Or that's how it seems...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
lexi wrote: Even in the 70's you would trepse around insurance brokers, in and out their offices to get a policy. Hard to believe now.

Yes, but now we just traipse around websites... Not much difference really...

Different medium/modus but same old sh1t...

At least in the 70s there was some chance of some decent interpersonal contact and a bit of social banter whilst you waited plus a bit of exercise waking around...

Now it's just a scripted exchange of information with a robot who may or may not be human in a galaxy far away :twisted:

Or that's how it seems...

I had one today, a month or so ago I had a cataract operation, Monday I went for the final check up and was discharged, this morning I had a robot call me asking me to answer a questionnaire about my experience.

A few recorded words then my name added in in a different voice then more robot words and my name again added in with a different voice. :roll:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: A few recorded words then my name added in in a different voice then more robot words and my name again added in with a different voice. :roll:

I trust you told it to go and enjoy some s3x and travel...

I remember a spoof of that sort of exchange in a Simpsons episode some 20 years ago - it must have been as it was the 'Twin Towers' episode...

It was funny then because it was not reality but sadly, now it is :(

Another case of wild fantasy becoming reality...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Sounds like someone might have seen sense with the tie-in between the insurance database and the taxing on a car being a problem then. It definitely wouldn't let me do it at the end of last year when I was last arguing with it.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Odd, 'cos that was when I taxed the latest Cherokee, so I could swap reg. Nos. - but didn't want to insure it 'til the transfers went through & incur a £20 fee to change the vehicle details.

b-t-w, it's insured with LV, which you'd expect to be a huge impersonal undertaking - I know I did, so have always been pleasantly surprised with the amiable, helpful AND efficient people I have dealt with whenever I've had cause to 'phone.

Even weirder is the small independent broker the C15's insured with (as a "speciality vehicle" would you believe?) where I have my own a/c manager: they even wrote to me, to tellme who the new one was, when the original one left/moved on. Oh, & their recovery is arranged through some outfit I'd never heard of, who take customer service to another level, even though it is really only a call centre.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

van ordinaire wrote:Odd, 'cos that was when I taxed the latest Cherokee, so I could swap reg. Nos. - but didn't want to insure it 'til the transfers went through & incur a £20 fee to change the vehicle details.

b-t-w, it's insured with LV, which you'd expect to be a huge impersonal undertaking - I know I did, so have always been pleasantly surprised with the amiable, helpful AND efficient people I have dealt with whenever I've had cause to 'phone.

Even weirder is the small independent broker the C15's insured with (as a "speciality vehicle" would you believe?) where I have my own a/c manager: they even wrote to me, to tellme who the new one was, when the original one left/moved on. Oh, & their recovery is arranged through some outfit I'd never heard of, who take customer service to another level, even though it is really only a call centre.

A pal of mine asked if I could sell a Cherokee Chief for an Irish guy, I said yes, a few days later I heard what I thought was a large tractor roll in on my forecourt, it was the Cherokee, the guy had decided the beautiful petrol engine was too thirsty so he'd taken it out and replaced it with a four cylinder diesel out of a scrap JCB. :) Needless to say I didn't find a buyer.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Leon now gone. Just have to be firm and refuse to go below what you know its worth, and ignore all the idoits and chancers. It was only the second guy who actually turned up to view.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:Leon now gone.

Excellent news Davie :D
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Gibbo2286 wrote:A pal of mine asked if I could sell a Cherokee Chief for an Irish guy, I said yes, a few days later I heard what I thought was a large tractor roll in on my forecourt, it was the Cherokee, the guy had decided the beautiful petrol engine was too thirsty so he'd taken it out and replaced it with a four cylinder diesel out of a scrap JCB. :) Needless to say I didn't find a buyer.

A scrap JCB - now where would you find such a thing?

Many, many years ago spotted in the pits at Santa Pod was a '59 Impala, with a power bulge in the bonnet almost level with the roof - to accomodate the old London bus engine that had been installed; well torque's important for towing!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The first diesel car I ever saw was in the '50s, it was a Standard Vanguard with a Ferguson tractor engine, it wasn't a conversion though, it was original. As the engine didn't do much more than 2000 rpm it was fitted with overdrive - so you could overtake things. I thought it sounded nice though.

Peter