Selling cars privately.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Selling cars privately.

Post by Zelandeth »

Stickyfinger wrote:With so many automatic ANPR cameras both on BiB cars and on motorways these days, I would not do that myself.....

Likewise, they're everywhere.

Actually got pulled over last year for no MOT two days after I'd had it done because the copy of the database the police use hadn't caught up yet - luckily I still had the certificate with me in the car, and they rang up someone (Vosa?) to confirm the certificate number was a valid one then sent me on my way.

Things like no tax/test they seem to be taking a lot harder line on these days than they used to, so it's just not worth the risk. For one thing I don't want my car squashed!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
Boys in Blue
or Babylon in Blue if you say it in gansta !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Car doesn't need to be insured to tax it any more BUT you don't need to tax a new purchase to drive it home IF it was taxed at the time of sale, because any routine check will show it as taxed.

The big problem, for us, is if DVLA suddenly decides it can't trace the vehicle & for them, that so few people bother to tax their cars any more.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo, that sounds very possible... Just never heard them referred by that moniker before!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:Gibbo, that sounds very possible... Just never heard them referred by that moniker before!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_in_Blue
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

van ordinaire wrote:Car doesn't need to be insured to tax it any more

Thats a slight misunderstanding, you don't need to wait for the certificate anymore but if you don't show as insured on the database you cannot tax.

Also if the old owner goes online to notify the DVLA of the sale while you are en route home you may show as untaxed.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

The other thing about selling stuff that winds me up...

Turning up for a cash on collection deal without the right money! Seriously.

Just seems common courtesy to me...If you've agreed to pay fifty quid for something, just turn up with the correct change already...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

elma wrote:
van ordinaire wrote:Car doesn't need to be insured to tax it any more

Thats a slight misunderstanding, you don't need to wait for the certificate anymore but if you don't show as insured on the database you cannot tax.

Also if the old owner goes online to notify the DVLA of the sale while you are en route home you may show as untaxed.

No misunderstanding, I found out that was the case simply by doing it. However, I've since noticed that there is no reference to insurance on the reminder or, as far as I can see, anywhere on the DVLA website.

Yes, I suppose you could come unstuck with the tax in that way (I hadn't caught up with that being one of the things you could do on line) - but you'd have to be really unlucky & the DVLA aren't going to be bothered in a situation where there's no loss of revenue, in fact they are remarkably generous, as their computer automatically extends the 14 days grace (which they, officially, deny exists) by another 14 days. As I've already mentioned, their real problem is the 1,000's of people who don't tax their vehicles at all, as they've learned there's no need: the worst that's likely to happen is they'll have to "lose" the vehicle & get another one - but, chances are, they're already £'s in!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

I've just taxed a car I know to be totally uninsured and it worked ok.

Obviously it'll be insured later today before it's driven on the road for MOT!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Reading this thread makes me so glad I've abandoned buying and selling anything privately now except on her and to/from trusted friends..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

CitroJim wrote:Reading this thread makes me so glad I've abandoned buying and selling anything privately now except on her and to/from trusted friends..

There are drawbacks Jim. But to hell with that standing in the PO to tax a car. More often than not, the best car is the one you got! All this changing cars costs time and money. After having multi cars for many years, the car I have get's kept, if it is going or can be fixed. I don't give a monkeys now about "the next car"
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:More often than not, the best car is the one you got! All this changing cars costs time and money. After having multi cars for many years, the car I have get's kept, if it is going or can be fixed. I don't give a monkeys now about "the next car"

Lexi, I agree with every word of that :) My sentiments entirely!
Jim

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

I generally agree with that, though I start looking now when one is getting more and more faulty (or if it's a PSA car, too many bits have fallen off). The Berlingo is still "ok" though I fear for the clutch, gearbox and other bits and pieces, which means it'll probably go when my dad's probate is sorted. The 207 I'll keep for me and get another motor for the missus. What that will be is proving an issue!

Do I keep the Berlingo as a 3rd car? I looked into renting a council garage locally and it would be cheaper to just keep the Berlingo taxed and insured and park it on the road.. that way I could run 2 cheap-to-run petrol cars and keep the Berlingo for mountain bike activities..

Problem is we do like our European jaunts and the Berlingo is a bit noisy and thirsty if you go over 65mph, but the 207 doesn't have enough space, so other smaller cars won't..

Oh... and her indoors would like convertible. I'm open to this idea as we aren't boring old farts yet, but it would have to be 4 seats, which means either a Focus CC, or a BMW/Audi. I'm not touching a French convertible with an electric roof, much as I like the look of the 307cc

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

lexi wrote: But to hell with that standing in the PO to tax a car. More often than not, the best car is the one you got! All this changing cars costs time and money. After having multi cars for many years, the car I have get's kept, if it is going or can be fixed. I don't give a monkeys now about "the next car"

You would have enjoyed it in the fifties when local councils were the taxing authority, I recall waiting four hours in a queue a mile long and six deep at Birmingham tax office on the quarterly tax days to tax cars our company had sold.

Often you'd get a jumped up bureaucrat at the desk who would find some minor discrepancy in the form and send you to redo it and go to the back of the queue.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have so far managed to use the sellers computer to tax it and the phone to insure it at the point of sale although it's a good idea to ask if you can do that before you make the journey.

Peter