Spot the difference

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Spot the difference

Post by Eddie Nuff »

After having the grandkids all weekend they finally went home Sunday afternoon so over to my brother's to fit a dpf on his C5 1.6hdi 16v. We had removed it a couple of weeks ago when replacing the knackered turbo but, as he needs his car for work, decided to refit it whilst he took the even worse one I had taken from a C4GP I stripped to work to be cleaned

It's come up very nice indeed. Curiously the sooted up one removed from his was only registering as 56% full.

His now goes off to be cleaned to fit into a Volvo V50 I have and that one will be cleaned to keep as a spare.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Spot the difference

Post by Paul-R »

Do Volvo use a Cerene (Eolys) based filter system? If not, are the filters compatible in structure?

How much is the DPF cleaning service as a matter of interest?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

The dpf in the Volvo is exactly the same and will be swapped over next weekend.

The cleaning is free - to me! :wink: :-D
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Got to clean the one in my 307 over the summer when I've got the coolant out for waterpump and stat replacement - at 130k, I am expecting it to look every bit as bad as that!

I hope you a) removed the oil feed filter and b) removed the strainer in the sump pick up on the C5. If you didn't do a, then the turbo will probably last 3k at best. If you didn't do b, then you may well find it runs out of the oil pressure after 7-8k (not that this is too much of a problem - ours did it twice, but still runs OK, albeit it does use a bit of oil now!)
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

RichardW wrote:Got to clean the one in my 307 over the summer when I've got the coolant out for waterpump and stat replacement - at 130k, I am expecting it to look every bit as bad as that!

I hope you a) removed the oil feed filter and b) removed the strainer in the sump pick up on the C5. If you didn't do a, then the turbo will probably last 3k at best. If you didn't do b, then you may well find it runs out of the oil pressure after 7-8k (not that this is too much of a problem - ours did it twice, but still runs OK, albeit it does use a bit of oil now!)

I did all that but somehow some debris from the turbo got into and blocked the oil galleries and still ran the big ends.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

How did you go about cleaning it?

The soot level is impressive indeed!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

RichardW wrote:I hope you a) removed the oil feed filter and b) removed the strainer in the sump pick up on the C5. If you didn't do a, then the turbo will probably last 3k at best. If you didn't do b, then you may well find it runs out of the oil pressure after 7-8k

The balance shaft had a wobble on and was starting to whine when power was applied so I swapped it for a spare turbo I had, with a new core sourced from a reliable company. What we didn't know was that the actuator was stiff to the point of being almost seized and the return pipe was a mess. :shock: Got a new return pipe and sump strainer, soaked the oil feed pipe in diesel overnight with the intention of re-fitting in the morning. Come the morning and couldn't get the sump plug out - it would not move. :evil: Took an absolute age!

His car now has a re-con turbo with clean pipes, filters, oil and dpf. No wonder he says it feels like a different car. 8-)
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

CitroJim wrote:How did you go about cleaning it?

Jet wash, chemicals and an industrial oven.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Eddie Nuff wrote:
CitroJim wrote:How did you go about cleaning it?

Jet wash, chemicals and an industrial oven.

Not quite a DIY prospect then :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's a place across the road from here that does them, but from £150 + Vat... New ones can be had on e-bay for about £120, but no idea of the quality. I am going to try the VeTech cleaner from GSF:

Says professional only, but you can get it on the 'bay! Info on it here. They are now offering a money back guarantee (well against a new DPF from GSF!) if it doesn't work, so it must do the business.

There also seems to be one from Forte:

Richard W
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Considering the feedback from my brother on how good the car is now in comparison to before I'm tempted to do exactly the same job on madam's C4GP.