Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?/ICE Vehicles What have you smelt!

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:LOLcat - Grammar Nazi Cat.jpg

:lol: Don't you just love memes :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

There's a new Nissan Leaf colour deep blue pearl

https://www.nissanusa.com/dam/nissan/ve ... -large.jpg

Bit more unusual on the road so extra points for a deep-blue spot. "Ordinary" Blue and a couple of whites today on the Leaf front, and not a single Tesla.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Saw a dark red Leaf yesterday at the end of our road.
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I was looking for Baker Electric trucks built/sold by Wolseley in the early 1900s, came across this:
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2008/01/ ... s-o-1.html
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Sorry to be a pain guys :-D Without Google, a Smelt is a little category of it's own with Latin name.
A Smolt is a Salmon that has reached 2 years in fresh water. It comes through egg, eyed ova , fry and then Parr stages. At Smolt stage it takes on a transformation to a silvery fish about the six inch mark and is compelled to leave the fresh water and head to sea. Our Atlantic Salmon here in UK, do this about May. If they reach Sea and spend one winter there feeding up, they will attain weights of 4 to 9lb. If they return to spawn after just one winter, they are called Grilse. That would be them 3 yrs old and laymen will call them "young Salmon".
If they stay more than one year, they are called 2SW Salmon. Then Multi Winter fish which go to 30 and 40 lb in weight. I have planted the fry out in rivers and stripped the adults to take the eggs and milt for incubation.
Bloody Hell........sorry for the long story :shock: Ach well every day is school day :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:Ach well every day is school day :lol:

A most interesting lecture Lexi :)

Hope you, in your capacity as FCF school master, you have no plans to give us homework to do :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

All the salmon I eat are called 'canned' :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:All the salmon I eat are called 'canned' :)

Mine are all smoked ;)
Jim

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Yes, they are Pacific Salmon. Tastes quite nice. Our Atlantic Salmon are deemed "superior" by game fishers and culinary experts. Wild ones being the best, I don't eat farmed Salmon.
Politics, Ethics, damage to bio systems and chemicals being the reason. All supermarket Salmon is farmed...........yuch! Long story guys.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

lexi wrote:

Yes, they are Pacific Salmon. Tastes quite nice. Our Atlantic Salmon are deemed "superior" by game fishers and culinary experts. Wild ones being the best, I don't eat farmed Salmon.
Politics, Ethics, damage to bio systems and chemicals being the reason. All supermarket Salmon is farmed...........yuch! Long story guys.

https://www.john-west.co.uk/faq
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Overtaken by an i8 on the A1 north heading for Swallwell.
Didn't notice any other sparky cars.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
lexi wrote:

https://www.john-west.co.uk/faq

Pacific Salmon for the table and can are wild Gibbo. That is because of their prolific numbers. Hundreds of millions of them run the rivers of Alaska alone. Our best rivers here only have Atlantic Salmon runs in the thousands. A rarer species the Atlantic and one under severe threat.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Had a chat with a Leaf owner today with a friendly "How do you like your electric car?"

Well turns out its Nissan Leaf number 2 for her, but it wasn't a normal trading the older one in for a new one. Her partner had apparently during the monsoon season up here driven Leaf number 1 into exactly the same flood, my Xsara Picasso came a cropper in. It was one of those puddles on a corner that turned out not to be a puddle, but had become part of the river with a not inconsequential current running through it.

Unlike mine the Leaf was drivable home, and seemingly had survived unscarred. That was until an attempt was made to recharge the batteries. When the Leaf was loaded onto the recovery truck, out poured a fair quantity of the river.

Moral of the tale...don't drive electric cars into standing pools of water, or into rivers in flood!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Would you believe it? I have not even seen an EV on my travels and have reported nothing in this thread but Piscatorial Pontifications :shock:
My next door neighbour has a Merc E series and a 16 plate Golf, none of which have ever caused me to give a second look. I am out in garden today and he passes me in the Golf..........in a very silent manner. Later on I got his wife. Yep an EV Golf, right next door to me! Well I am away a lot so don't really notice much. I got a few pics and will get some story from him later. It is a company car.

Simon will be drooling over this. I will ask for a drive.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Unlike mine the Leaf was drivable home, and seemingly had survived unscarred. That was until an attempt was made to recharge the batteries. When the Leaf was loaded onto the recovery truck, out poured a fair quantity of the river.

Moral of the tale...don't drive electric cars into standing pools of water, or into rivers in flood!

I was thinking about exactly this not that long ago - many electric cars are very vulnerable to permanent and catastrophic damage to the battery by driving through water levels that ICE cars would usually survive, provided they didn't suck water into the air intake.

The battery pack in most modern EV's is located in the floor pan, and to avoid raising the floor level too much the ground clearance is significantly less than is typical of an ICE.

On Tesla's the battery pack is water cooled, and can therefore be hermetically sealed, and AFAIK the Tesla pack is more or less water proof so wouldn't suffer water ingress damage from moderate short term wading, however many (most ?) EV's use air cooled battery packs, which typically means there is an air cowling over otherwise exposed cells to help guide the air flow but they are most definitely NOT water proof, so as soon as the water level went above a certain point that it would go into the air vents in the pack the whole pack would fill up with water and be totally destroyed.

To get an idea what that would look like, have a look at this i-Miev pack that comes from a flood damaged car when he opens it up at about 3:00 in the video:

You can see that there is loads of corrosion in there! :? Totally destroyed, when you consider that there are boards full of integrated circuits for each group of cells. The conductivity of the dirty water would have completely discharged the cells during the time that the car sat in water as well, this alone would have ruined the cells as excessive discharge below a safe voltage causes permanent damage to lithium ion cells. To be fair I think he says in another video that the salvaged car had sat in flood waters that were about half way up the door but still...

Here is the insides of a salvaged Gen 1 Leaf battery pack - also air cooled, and there is nothing that I can see that protects it against flood damage!

So beware - do NOT drive your EV through flood waters that would reach the battery compartment below the floor pan!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive