Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

For all you Tesla spotters watch out for the facelifted Model S, its front end is , well, facelifted.

I think extra points are on offer if you spot a facelifted "S" on your travels, so here is a bit of help with identification.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1597412/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: Running as I do early in the morning is a very good illustration that cats take a while to warm up and a petrol car running cold is an awful thing to be near whilst breathing hard...

It's very true Jim. I had to move the Xantia off the lawn a couple of days ago - it hasn't been started in over a week so I started it up and let it idle while I opened the gate and manoeuvred the other car out of the way - and as soon as I walked away from the idling car I thought "what is that smell!". It was the strong smell of a rich running petrol engine with a cold cat.

Normally I don't ever notice the smell of a petrol car, and I'm sure the smell would have gone away once the engine and cat was warmed up, but for some reason it seemed particularly pungent and unpleasant to me that day in a way it had never before. Perhaps I'm just not used to smelling it anymore!! [-X I don't have a very good sense of smell so the fact that I could smell it at all and it drew my attention means it must have been quite strong.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have the opposite Simon, I have a very keen and over-sensitive sense of smell.. It is a horrible thing to have as few things smell pleasant to me...

A cold V6 is a smelly old thing in my experience but you do notice it all the more when it's been a while...

Although she doesn't smoke, Gabriel is a bit smelly when first started and cold... I actually find the vague paraffin-stove smell of a cold diesel much more acceptable than the horrid smell of a cold petrol... Maybe a smell I associate with my childhood when much heating was done with paraffin stoves and extensive use was made of paraffin Tilley lamps when camping and working outside at night...

makes me wonder how the world must have stank to high heaven when we all ran non-cat cars with leaded petrol... I can't recall it being bad now but we must have been immune.. Even little two-stroke motorbikes didn't seem to smell bad but now they smell awful and by golly, if you are unlucky enough to get stuck behind an old non-cat car it's dreadful...

What with that and the majority of people smoking everywhere, it musty have been a real stink-fest but we never noticed it...

We, or at least you and I do now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just been out for a run... Running alongside the Aston Martin works an old early 80s Merc barge passed me. Stank to hell :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Yes. We have quite a few "classic" cars down in this part of South Berks and they stink. MGBs, a Cobra, plenty of old Merc ragtops from the 70s and 80s and a Scim were among the ones I've smelt this week. The difference that emissions control and catalytic converters have made is astonishing.

Saying that, when we went to the Goodwood FOS a few years ago, in the pits while they were warming up the old racing motors, the smells were glorious!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
NewcastleFalcon

Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?/ICE Vehicles What have you smelt!

Minor temporary change of title :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?/ICE Vehicles What have you smelt!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

<cynical mode : ON>
I smell a money making scheme being planned :shock: With the theoretical reduction in traditional 'servicing' needing to be done on EV vehicles, mechanics and garages are going to have to come up with a way of maintaining their income stream. Getting 'em trained on an 'industry approved' scheme seems to be the preferred way of charging more for the work but not necessarily guaranteeing good results - cf: gas fitters, plumbers, electricians, etc, etc.
<cynical mode : OFF>
:roll: :wink:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Minor temporary change of title :-D

Regards Neil

:rofl2:
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:

Regards Neil

Maybe we should tell Neil that in good English it's smelled................smelt is a young salmon :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

Regards Neil

Maybe we should tell Neil that in good English it's smelled................smelt is a young salmon :-D

:lol: :-D
Jim

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

bobins wrote:
<cynical mode : ON>
Getting 'em trained on an 'industry approved' scheme seems to be the preferred way of charging more for the work but not necessarily guaranteeing good results - cf: gas fitters, plumbers, electricians, etc, etc.
<cynical mode : OFF>
:roll: :wink:

It seems that way to the customers but to us, the tradesman, we have to pay for the courses. We also lose work time doing them and wages. We then usually get a pay cut along with a reduction in tax benefits. Someone wins I'm sure but it's not the worker or the customer.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

Regards Neil

"Its Trivia but not as we know it Gibbo" I think I am correct according to both the Oxford and Cambridge English Dictionaries?
smelt verb uk ​ /smelt/ us ​ /smelt/ UK
​past simple and past participle of smell
It does also have other meanings and your young fish could be one of them although pedantically speaking they are also referred to as Smolt.

Now for a trivial misuse of the English Language you can't beat a funny name for a beer. Seeing as its from Consett and I have been in and drank their beer, I dont think the Ale Works at the Grey Horse will mind the FCF using a one of their pictures.

Leave themselves open there. I mean looks like Santa's little "smelter" is simply a blacksmith's forge not involving the smelting of any metal ore's!

:-D Only jesting

Regards Neil

PS I've only gone and found the chapter and verse on it now with graphs and allsorts!

http://writingexplained.org/smelled-or-smelt-difference
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 22 Apr 2017, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Tesla radar is working well these days, yet another facelift model S heading North on the A697.

What's more it was in this season's most fashionable clothing....yes it was grey!

Heavy points scoring there..I reckon a grey is worth 2 whites, and at least 3 reds :-D

Regards Neil

PS...don't know why but I am trying to get my apostrophes in the right place now...thanks Gibbo!
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

LOLcat - Grammar Nazi Cat.jpg
:twisted:

nicked from ARRSE, most likely purloined from somewhere else.