Brave New World-Car sharing & other things I don't know anything about..yet

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Brave New World-Car sharing & other things I don't know anything about..yet

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Read an article indicating that PSA were launching an assault into the US Market with a partnership with Travelcar.

http://www.am-online.com/news/car-manuf ... ing-scheme

This in a few words is what TravelCar are about
TravelCar is the first european peer to peer car sharing platform for travelers at airports and train stations.

TravelCar enables travelers to rent their vehicles while they are away rather than paying for a traditional parking space. It's a win-win situation, car owners can park their car for free while travalers can rent cars for around 50% of the regular market prices. The whole process is managed by TravelCar and the owner's vehicle is covered by our comprehenive insurance.

TravelCar is one of the leaders of the sharing economy by offering carsharing at airports and train stations providing an affordable, ethical and ecological alternative to traditional car rental services.

With TravelCar, drivers can finally rent in a smart way and owners can stop paying parking fees !
So its a way of having a rental firm for vehicles when you don't have any vehicles, but use other peoples vehicles while they are parked up doing nothing while the owners are on holiday. Travelcar just have the "app", the insurance link up, and pay owners a bit of pocket money, and make their margin on renting out, albeit at a lower rate than "traditional" rental firms, because they don't actually have to buy or maintain any vehicles.

Not sure where PSA fit in in terms of selling cars which I presume is their purpose in life. Can't imagine Travelcar or their ilk are the least bit loyal to a particular brand of vehicle.

Then again I know less than nothing about car sharing, but I am ready to be educated!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Brave New World-Car sharing & other things I don't know anything about..yet

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Interesting.... After the recent row about places being rented out through airb'n'b being used as pop-up brothels this latest initiative may not be too popular...

I'd not let anyone use my car whilst I'm not... Like my house it's one of my very personal spaces I’d not want invaded by strangers...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Renault are into the "sharing economy" too

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/07/08/sw ... -chargers/
Recently, Renault Group launched Elbnb, a website and application in Sweden that maps out charging stations for EVs and takes its inspiration from the sharing economy. The homeowners who have signed up to share their own plugs have increased the number of charging stations available in the country by 3.5 percent in two weeks, said Karin Karlsson, a spokeswoman for Renault Sweden.
Renault spokesperson Lars Höglin...."reveals that the scheme seems to be fueling Sweden’s ‘fika’ [coffee and cake] trend as well. “I saw a user the other day saying that if you stop by, you can come for a coffee as well. So it’s turning into a social network.” Maybe sharing coffee and cake is the key to the green car revolution?
I'll rarely say no to a Fika myself! :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: BNW-E-Car Clubs

Know nothing about this, so here is a start. Will we all need to "own" our own cars? Maybe not...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey