Selling cars privately.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Selling cars privately.

Post by daviemck2006 »

Im waiting for a guy to come pick up the leon. Advertised for 950 really wanting 800. Guy phoned last night, struck a deal at 800 on the phone. He is coming up from the midlands! I cant believe theres not another seat leon diesel much closer to him for under a grand! Im not actually holding my breath, he just phoned saying his alternator broke, he found a gsf in Glasgow got an alternator and fitted it but he has spent some of his money and can only give me 700 today so can he get the car and transfer money to me on monday. He wasnt joking either! Nor was I with my reply lol The car doesnt go untill i have all the cash in my hand. He has been told its faults so its 800 quid or off he goes. Theres three locals wanting first refusal at 6 pm tonight lol

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
mickeymoon

Re: Selling cars privately.

Post by mickeymoon »

Selling or buying cars privately is a complete nightmare these days. I blame the Internet. It allows all the (-expletive removed-) to contact you from all over whereas before you'd only really get locals or serious types who'd bought autotrader specifically to buy a car!

I won't buy anything off a a person I don't know or who has been recommended by someone I trust these days.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

At the end of the day i couldnt give a flying fxxx where they come from, if they come and hand over the cash. In fact the farther away the better lol. But hes not going away 400 miles or so with him owing me a hundred quid. And if he has wasted his time and money coming here when he has been told its not negotiable then tough.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

All in the game. I suppose you have told them " Ye cannae play tig wae a Fox Son"
The worst is the daft texts you get. I laugh at them and Mrs Lexi pulls me up for laughing at a phone :-D
Apart from a few, there are lots of decent people as well. Some have sounded dodgy when texting and yet when I turn up to buy, I am pleasantly surprised.
This goes for buying/selling all manner of stuff.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Its nae local buying and selling now. Just take myself, last car sold 650 miles away. Last bought 220 miles away, one before that 460 miles away. Ok they were all reasonably rare cars. I wouldnt call an old battered seat leon diesel reasonably rare lol

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Yes, but in your case everywhere is far away!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Aye, the 220 miles is local lolol

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

The muppet phoned at 2.15 saying his sat nav said 2 hours. Its now 6.35 and no signs and no answer to phone. Another timewaster i expect.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

I've always had a separate payg number for buying and selling. You can abuse me as much as you want, I'll only know when I switch the phone on. :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

All good reasons to explain why I never buy and sell cars these days except via the forum or amongst family/friends...

The aggro is not worth it...

In fact for me it extends to anything now... Especially anything with wheels...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

It was another no show. Next one due this afternoon.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There are a number of scams going on ebay, I neither buy nor sell until the money is in my hand and I have seen the car, not had a problem - so far. You have to be prepared to travel to get a real bargain, I have and done some very good deals. I also went to Edinburgh once to see an XM estate, it was rubbish. :x :oops:

Peter
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

The problem with buying & selling cars (in particular) used to be, if you were selling - nobody ever rang. If you were interested in buying the answer was always "Nah mate, s'gorn!" Not been in the position to sell for many years but now I've found the problem with buying is that the vendor never answers the phone &/or replies to texts/e-mails.

I only used to show any interest in cars that were advertised in my local paper - but then I discovered Exchange & Mart! However, the problem then was how it is now with buying, or even viewing, a distant car - logistics! I've read here others' tales of how it was done - & it seems to be a pantomime verging on a nightmare. I did recently bid on a car up in Scotland but the fact I'd have to fly up to Edinburgh, get a train to wherever & then hope I could find the vendor (even though I had a day off I could use) was what finally determined how much it was worth to me so, ironically, stopped bidding £5 short of the "winning" price. Maybe buying a distant car on eBay IS a step too far! However, now I have pangs of regret because it COULD have worked out really well, fitting in with other plans & solving a few problems, BUT . . .

What I have done, with some success, is agree a price on the phone, subject to not finding any undisclosed nasties - that way, at least I only have to make the one journey & I have found people prepared to meet me off the train, usually with the car, which is always encouraging.

However I still don't really know the answer, finding time/opprtunity to comtact the vendor is the first problem - & then how do you get to see the car in daylight? Perhaps it's just complicated by the way my lifestyle's panned out!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Next one was 2 Polish guys who went over it with a fine toothcomb, speaking in Polish, then offered 1/2 the asking price. Grrrrrrr

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:Next one was 2 Polish guys who went over it with a fine toothcomb, speaking in Polish, then offered 1/2 the asking price. Grrrrrrr

I trust you told them to go and enjoy some s3x and travel Davie :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...