LHD mirror vs RHD mirror

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

Re: LHD mirror vs RHD mirror

Post by sonoramicommando »

Yep I'm back and still going at it...
So, after my flimsy research attempt, I have a theory:

There are TWO mirror fittings pre-installed under the door skin, around 2" centre to centre longitudinal direction. Forward fitting is used for driver's side and aft fitting is for passenger's side - IF the mirrors are non-"streamline" type. Not 100% on this but the earlier post with remote control type mirror parts list actually shows there are TWO fittings (Item 8, "securing reinforcement"). The Google image search netted one GSA X1 or X3 has passenger side mirror well. This is based on a Dutch brochure that X3 is the only GSA which came with two mirrors, both of them remote control type. There are a lot of berlines with two mirrors but I don't think they are factory fitted. For berline, Pallas came with driver's side remote control mirror only and Club with driver's side non-remote control (but foldable, by the looks of it) mirror only. Special came with streamline mirror, which cannot be folded and the whole housing should be adjusted as opposed to mirror glass itself. Break and Enterprise came with both mirrors, none of the Google image search found foldable mirror on them, but only streamline type. They seemed to have the mirrors mounted on forward fitting, both driver's and passenger's sides. Looking at them, I think that was possible as streamline mirrors stick out further from the door.

Club non-remote type mirror
Special streamline type mirror

Now I'm hoping to score a rusty as door to carve up to prove what's what once and for all.
(Or I need someone who knows what they are talking about and put me in my place... :mrgreen: )
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
Stonehopper
My Cars: 1975 GS Pallas
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale
1960 2cv AZL (Belgian built)

Post by Stonehopper »

If you were to go for re-siting the nearside door mirror further back, could a hard plastic blanking plug be acceptable to fill the hole made for the mirror? The only other alternative would be to weld a plate in the hole with all the grinding and repainting associated.
Derek
sonoramicommando

My Plan A is to buy a streamline mirror and chuck it on the forward fitting - it may need a washer to hide my messy drill work. I've been looking on leboncoin but nothing for sale at the moment. I'm sure something will come up. The German online parts vendor has in stock but at around 60 euro, it's a bit too pricey.
By the way, according to my calculations, moving the mirror to aft fitting will obscure the forward fitting hole by half only, so plugging it on its own won't fix it, will need a filler and paint over. Alternatively, I can bond on a thin metal piece, which is a similar shape as the mirror base but large enough to cover the hole, if it makes sense.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
sonoramicommando

Right - LH streamline mirror has arrived from Germany - a reasonable condition secondhand, paid around 30 Euro. About half price compared to brand new (pattern, I presume) one from Französische Klassiker Onlineshop.
I'm happy with what I got, I just need to sort out the gasket - made one out of Sugru, hopefully will work with some RTV.
So I just need to swap it out, a couple of things to sort out 1) to make up a washer to hide the big gash by the hole and 2) something to cover up the hole I made for manual remote lever on the door card...
I think the streamline mirror is a tad smaller but is convex so that's good.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
sonoramicommando

A bit of success after messing about.
LH streamline mirror, as received.
Installed - I needed the cover plate to hide the mess I made. It's a titanium sheet cut to remote mirror base and remote mirror gasket underneath. It has masking tape on 'cos I need to seal around the edges with RTV.
As seen from the driver's seat. :!:
It seems to have a spring loaded arm so you can fold it if you want to. But you have to fold it holding the arm otherwise you'll have to adjust the mirror every time, which is a pain.
I still don't know if remote control mirror can be used or not, haven't managed to confirm if there is another welded female threaded fitting.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
sonoramicommando

Here is the template. The hole is the thread diameter so you might want to drill a tad larger.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)