Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:Regen is about as sensible as saving up all your domestic rubbish for a year, and then dumping it all at once.

By the side of the road...

A very good analogy Chris.. Imagine how stinky and objectionable it would be by then...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

The only vehicles I can see it really making any sense for would be things like long distance coaches - as they're going to chuck out a lot of crud chugging around town, but also spend a lot of time on the motorway.

...Moot point though as virtually all vehicles like that use SCR anyway as far as I'm aware.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Zelandeth wrote: ...Moot point though as virtually all vehicles like that use SCR anyway as far as I'm aware.

Curiosity got the better of me had to look it up...
What is Selective Catalytic Reduction?

Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) is an advanced active emissions control technology system that injects a liquid-reductant agent through a special catalyst into the exhaust stream of a diesel engine. The reductant source is usually automotive-grade urea, otherwise known as Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). The DEF sets off a chemical reaction that converts nitrogen oxides into nitrogen, water and tiny amounts of carbon dioxide (CO2), natural components of the air we breathe, which is then expelled through the vehicle tailpipe.
Now, doesn't that sound absolutely delightful :!: :-D (has anyone invented an actual sarcasm emoticon yet!)
automotive-grade urea
Is that a euphanism for concentrated p*ss :?: :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Apr 2017, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: ...Moot point though as virtually all vehicles like that use SCR anyway as far as I'm aware.

What's SCR Zel?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:

What's SCR Zel?

See above Jim!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Selective catalytic reduction. Have to confess that it was years ago that I last read through the operational principles, so I can't recall whether it concentrates on the gaseous output to particulates (or both).

Have never seen any smoke to speak of from any of the buses that First or Bluebird had using SCR kit though to be honest, so have to guess it does something!

DPF obviously wouldn't really work for a bus destined for urban service would it as it will never be able to do a "natural" regen cycle.

Know the training bus (cast off from the main fleet) had very nearly gone round the clock yet had never operated outside Aberdeen City in its whole life! Would probably have been about 10 years old I think when I drove it.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

What's SCR Zel?

See above Jim!

Regards Neil

Sorry Neil :oops: , I'm just off to Specsavers :lol:

So, if I understand correctly, this is what Adblue does...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:
So, if I understand correctly, this is what Adblue does...
Had to look that up as well Jim :-D

Apparently so, even good old Volkswagen use it on their cars so we can all rest easy in our beds knowing that every 600 miles or so, to keep the exhaust coming from the tailpipe clean enough to breath in, they consume 1-1.5 litres of Adblue (Urea and water apparently so maybe not as I first thought concentrated p*ss, but really actual p*ss.)
The size of the AdBlue® tank fitted to your car will vary depending on which Volkswagen model you have, therefore the interval between top-ups will vary. In addition, many factors such as mileage, journey type, driving style and environmental conditions can influence how much AdBlue® is consumed. A passenger car can consume approximately 1.5 litres of AdBlue® every 620 miles (1.0–1.5 litres for the Passat and Passat Estate).
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Apparently so, even good old Volkswagen use it on their cars so we can all rest easy in our beds knowing that every 600 miles or so, to keep the exhaust coming from the tailpipe clean enough to breath in, they consume 1-1.5 litres of Adblue (Urea and water apparently so maybe not as I first thought concentrated p*ss, but really actual p*ss.)

:lol:

Given that level of consumption I can now understand why garage forecourts always have stacks of Adblue on display!

Must be a very cheap product to make...

If it is expensive then someone is taking the p!!!

But can you trust Volkswagen after Dieselgate though?
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:If it is expensive then someone is taking the p!!!
Which is how they come by their supplies!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I recall many years ago someone came up with a centrifugal device that fitted to the exhaust and spun out the particulates.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

AdBlue here (or at least a similar product) is actually made by several of the local agricultural fertiliser companies.

A very good description of Diesel Exhaust Fluid on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid
Chris
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I recall many years ago someone came up with a centrifugal device that fitted to the exhaust and spun out the particulates.
It involved holding the crankshaft still, and letting the car spin up to speed. :rofl2:
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

white exec wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote:I recall many years ago someone came up with a centrifugal device that fitted to the exhaust and spun out the particulates.
It involved holding the crankshaft still, and letting the car spin up to speed. :rofl2:

:-D :-D .

I think it was really an adaption idea taken from the centrifugal oil filters fitted to some Italian (I think, Fiat maybe) cars.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I fondly remember the days when there were lots of spurious stuff on offer like that - mostly devices to magically transform performance and economy by massive amounts for very little outlay... An allied device to the one you mention was on that fitted to the inlet and was alleged to act like a turbocharger!

And then there were those lead pellets you could pop in your tank to magically raise the fuel octane level to hitherto untold values...

The world has been a significantly duller place since they all disappeared - victims no doubt of advertising standards :(
Jim