Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
This particular image of a fairground ride from it caught my eye.....even had the petrol station in the middle!

http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-25 ... e26_29.jpg

They had to fill up somewhere ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Here's a little quiz for the curious.....it was a first in the UK

Does 1958 CP 407 ring any bells?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

From the wonderfully interesting Austinmemories website - a promising electric town car with 5oo mile range was under development.....

"24 October 1967

The British Motor Corporation, Britain's biggest car-making group, are developing a new type of electric town car, using an Anglo-American designed metal-air battery. The car, BMC. says, will be capable of covering 500 miles on one " charge " of its battery, which is only half as big again as that used in a conventional petrol-engined car.

News of the development came, yesterday after Crompton Parkinson, a Hawker Siddeley Group company, announced an agreement with Leesona Corporation of Rhode Island, United States, to acquire existing and future patent rights in the new-air batteries developed by Leesona.

The battery is one of the advanced types of electricity-generating units which have been under development in the United States and Britain. Eventually zinc-air batteries with up to 12 times the capacity of conventional lead-acid accumulators will be made at Crompton Parkinson's recently enlarged plant at Newport Monmouthshire.

The normal lead-acid battery, as used in most electric-powered cars under present development, is bulky and allows a range of only 30-50 miles a day. But the Leesona battery, with between 200 and 300 ampere-hours’ capacity (four or five times that of a battery used in a Rolls-Royce), would perhaps be only one and a half times the size of a 12-volt BMC. Mini saloon battery.

Preliminary talks on a commuter car using the zinc-air battery are already under way at BMC.'s longbridge headquarters in Birmingham, between directors of Crompton Parkinson and Mr. Alec Issigonis, technical director of BMC., who said earlier this year that the corporation were working on designs for such a car."

Wonder why it never caught on ? :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote:From the wonderfully interesting Austinmemories website - a promising electric town car with 5oo mile range was under development.....
Its an absolute treasure trove! I hadn't found that particular story in my initial paddle around. I spent a bit of time investigating the "Austin Railways" section. Not really surprised that this structure isn't still with us. Looked pretty precarious.....the Dowery Dell Viaduct between Halesowen and Longbridge.

By Flying Stag - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=12245452

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! A real trestle viaduct :D Not many left now and I expect that one is well gone now too...

Only one I know for sure that is still with us is the Meldon Viaduct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meldon_Viaduct
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Here's a little quiz for the curious.....it was a first in the UK

Does 1958 CP 407 ring any bells?

Regards Neil

Answer is here, another fascinating fact from Austinmemories.com

http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-17/index.html

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

CitroJim wrote: Only one I know for sure that is still with us is the Meldon Viaduct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meldon_Viaduct

There is another - the Bennerley Viaduct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennerley_Viaduct

Sadly, neither that one nor the Meldon Viaduct still carry working railways now...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

There's nothing like a tenuous link to string together an inherently random thread like POTD.

Todays equivalent photograph of the day over on Geograph is from Conwy, taken high up looking down to the quayside, with a Herring Gull in the foreground. Far too ordinary stuff for the FCF.

No, what the FCF wants is Pub Sign Art and a pre-Warboys road sign :-D

Pub sign and road sign
© Ian Capper[/a], [url=http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/]cc-by-sa.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow... What a prefect pairing :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Nevermind pre- or post-Warboys signs............

here's an actual Warboys Sign to look out for if you are down Cambridgeshire way.....

Warboys, Village of the year previously

© Copyright Michael Trolove and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

This hit tv news yesterday: a brand new and 100mph-validated steam loco, now to be used inside existing HS train schedules...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/to ... oast-main/
Build cost was reported to be iro £3m.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:This hit tv news yesterday: a brand new and 100mph-validated steam loco, now to be used inside existing HS train schedules...

Fantastic news indeed :D

It's now cheaper to build a new steam locomotive from scratch than it is to refurbish an old one...

There are a number of new builds on the go at the moment and all to the good too...

The one downside is some are whinging already about emissions from them...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

white exec wrote:This hit tv news yesterday: a brand new and 100mph-validated steam loco, now to be used inside existing HS train schedules...

So I noticed;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57517
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Whoops, I missed that dedicated post.
Chris
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

It's now cheaper to build a new steam locomotive from scratch than it is to refurbish an old one...

Jim, was under the inpression that the labour on the Tornado was supplied by "enthusiasts" and therefore "free", or was that Journalistic License?? :?
Regards,
Harry
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros