Xantia TD Clutch Cable Mod

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieboy1
My Cars:

Xantia TD Clutch Cable Mod

Post by stevieboy1 »

This has been doing my head in for ages now, how can that clutch cable work? I know it does but i still can not figure out how by holding the outer at the pedal end and holding the inner at the engine end the thing operates[?]
Surely its got to be making the pedal harder to push.
I believe the non turbo models holds the cable on the outer at both ends, has anybody tried changing the turbo to the no turbo version(only the arm not the clutch etc) and does anybody think it will make the clutch lighter?[:D]
Or has anybody else got any ideas on how to make it lighter, even with a new clutch they are still heavy compared to other cars[:(!]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Agreed, this clutch/cable design is shyte, if the cable was straight it wouldn't work (but then it wouldn't be a cable it would be a rod), its only able to work because of the bends in the routing of it.
You are stuck with it though unles you swap the entire clutch assembly for the n/a version, because their operating actions are totaly opposit, TD's pull the pressure plate diaphragm spring where as the n/a's push it as in any conventional clutch design.
Wether a normal cable design would have any less drag I'm not sure, but I know I would prefer it wether it did or not.
The forces acting on both the inner and outer cables are the same, meaning that if 50kg of pull was being exerted by the inner cable on the clutch arm, there would also be a 50kg load on the outer cables anchor point, this would be true for either cable design.
The drag comes as the inner cable rubs hard against the inside of the outer sheath at places where the cable bends, this again is the same for both types.
Dave
stevieboy1
My Cars:

Post by stevieboy1 »

Thanks for that Dave
I just wonder if the cables long enother to go the other way round the engine so to get the correct action, i guess not but it could be worth a look.
Cheers
Steve
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Good thinking Batman though I don't think it would help much, could be wrong though, have been before[:I] might be a very accute bend in the cable (if it were long enough) due to how close the anchor point would be to the rad.
Been driving a Volvo FM12 for the last six months, been and had a new clutch fitted to it this morning and guess what, yup pull clutch, with two drive plates no less, nice and light, well it would be being hydraulic air assisted.
Dave
stevieboy1
My Cars:

Post by stevieboy1 »

That could be another option, go hydraulic!! but probably not power hydraulic
Cheers
Steve
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I know what you guys are saying, the Xantia TD clutch is quite heavy but I kind of like it that way. I find it easy to be precise with my foot if there is some resistance against it. My issue with hydraulic clutches (I have limited experience of driving them when I hired a lwb mercedes sprinter) is that it feels TOO light to me, spoiling my accuracy of controlling the clutch.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Dave! I've got quite an aversion to FM12's - one of them put a rather large dent in the side of my XM - writing it off! How's the view from that height? and are the brakes any good - the one that hit me didn't seem to have any!
//NiSk
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

NiSK the view is just great, especially the one looking through the drivers door window into vehicles in the next lane, vehicles piloted by the female of the species that is[:D]
Brakes are phenominal, extremely powerful, I recently locked all four front wheels without trying, and that was fully laden on a dry road.
Dave