Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by demag »

Ligier. :-)

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Ligier it is! I google-imaged Microcar, and couldn't find it.

Here in Spain there's a very odd (and slightly worrying) category of driving permit, called "Sin Carnet" (literally without papers). Two-seater, with no driving licence required; you can just go to a dealer and buy one. Some are Ligier, others Microcar, and I think there are a couple of others too. Most seem to have a single cylinder diesel engine, around 400cc, which sounds suspiciously like a Kubota with a large flywheel. Top speed is about 70km/h, and decidedly leisurely acceleration. You can always hear them coming, and if stuck behind one can smile at the 18mm-or-so diameter exhaust pipe. Show every sign of 6v electrics...but maybe not. Beloved of farmers and their wives.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:Here in Spain there's a very odd (and slightly worrying) category of driving permit, called "Sin Carnet" (literally without papers). Two-seater, with no driving licence required.

I believe they did, or might still have, a similar scheme in France...

I recall reading about it somewhere...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I wonder how that little car would go down in Sadiq Khan's new London anti diesel scheme.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/s ... 06561.html
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Actually there's a couple of Microcars floating round by us. One is quite new and looks ok actually.

Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Me on one of my other very favourite forms of transport last evening :D
Attachments
MKCC Caldecotte lake 070417 - Own Work
MKCC Caldecotte lake 070417 - Own Work
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

My MK Marathon race number bib..

Note the name on it :lol:
MK Marathon Bib - Own Work 080417
MK Marathon Bib - Own Work 080417
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Brilliant bib Jim. I used to canoe in my youth. A dear friend of mine runs a sea kayak club in North Wales, she has been all over the world kayaking.

Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:A dear friend of mine runs a sea kayak club in North Wales, she has been all over the world kayaking.

Given how much I enjoy lake kayaking Dave, I'd love to try sea kayaking :)

I'm still very much a novice and in June I'm taking a course of basic training... Hopefully then I can expand my horizons as then canal and river paddles will be open to me... The club organises a good deal of those but for now 5 or 6 K or padding around a big lake is enough at present...

Give the glorious weather last evening was sensational... Magical in every way...

I always look so happy when I'm paddling :)
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

FB_IMG_1491670292266.jpg
Talk of the devil, this was this morning off Anglesey.

Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm green with jealously :mrgreen:

I so want to be there... Lovely kayak 8-)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Over on the electric vehicles thread, I put up a tongue in cheek 12 volt Mercedes Electric car which £20,000 will buy you.

Here's a more "green" offering and an interesting bit of Austin History

http://www.austinworks.com/pedalcar.html
By Karen Roe - Flickr: Sandringham 23-05-2011, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=15326641

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a J40 and likely now would cost as much as that hideous Merc thing and be far better loved for much longer...

The J40 has become seriously collectable now...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Part of the story behind the J40

"Austin J40 cars are made in a specially constructed factory at Bargoed in South Wales. Here, in good conditions with the guidance of an experienced rehabilitation officer and under the supervision of a doctor, disabled Welsh miners are able to find a new interest in life and do a job of work that is both useful and congenial. There are employment facilities at this factory for 250 men."

The pedal car factory opened on July 5, 1949 and was called the Austin Junior Car Factory. It was actually paid for by Government funds and it was run on a not-for-profit basis and purely for the employment of the disabled coal miners. The factory had a floor area of 24,500 square feet and was tooled up by the Sheet Metal Planning Department.

Production started of with the Pathfinder and it was planned to build 250 a week, but unfortunately this figure was never reached. After a year the Pathfinder was dropped and was replaced in 1950 by the J40. The cars were made from scrap off-cuttings of metal from the Longbridge Austin motor car factory and were built and painted the same way as the motor cars themselves.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..and a random link to Bargoed, where the J40 pedal cars were made, L.S.Lowry painted Bargeod in the mid 1960's.

If you have the time this has a tremendous amount of detail and photographs of the factory, its story, and the cars. I'll stuff it in the Pickled Egg Library, but you will have to purchase a skinny latte or a bag of dry-roasted peanuts first!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56479&start=151

This particular image of a fairground ride from it caught my eye.....even had the petrol station in the middle!

http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-25 ... e26_29.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey