New Top Gear

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

New Top Gear

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am watching the new series of Top Gear, and the new Ford GT has a Citroen trick (of a sort). Put it into Track mode and it drops (rapidly) by a couple of inches. Put it back into Road mode and it jumps back up.

From what I have seen the new Top Gear looks like it will do well. Different to the previous series (it needed to be), and very different to the JC, RH and JM Top Gear. It does, however, have the Power Lap and Reasonably Priced Car from the JC era, which means tarmac all the way around.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 05 Apr 2017, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: New Top Gear

Post by Zelandeth »

I have to admit that we had the last couple of episodes on in the background and it was actually succeeding in being entertaining...which is more than the last one did.

I have to admit that I enjoy Chris Harris' presentation (I'd followed him on YouTube for a few years beforehand), and I was enjoying the banter between the presenters.

Hoping that things continue on this trend to be honest, rather than just being offensive for the sake of it.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

I'm very impressed myself. Matt Le Blanc makes a very good job of being the main presenter, much better than I expected now he's loosening up a bit. Rory and Chris have also grown on me. I really enjoyed tonight's episode. It has a mix of interesting/silly petrolheaded silliness, and good banter, without being childish or offensive. It also looks like they get better access to some vehicles as this TG team haven't upset some of them!

I'm sad to say, I watched The Grand Tour and thought it was sh1te, all 12 episodes. I couldn't even watch it with Sammy due to the language and offensive props used sometimes. They won't, but those 3 should stop now..
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Yep, GT was just too offensive for me. While there were a couple of moments that made me laugh - they were inevitably the few bits you could tell weren't scripted. By and large though it made me cringe more than laugh...And I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes and muttering expletives under my breath at the TV. Especially given they seemed intent on picking on cars I like!

May to be honest is the only one I'll actually go out of my way to watch these days - when he's doing something without the other pair there. The Reassembler was a show right up my street, and I've watched a few documentaries he's hosted and enjoyed all of them.

This latest incarnation of TG shows promise though... It's light hearted vaguely distracting entertainment which happens to involve cars and some fantastic photography work.

Rory in last weeks show driving the Twingo said a lot I think - he actually understands that it's entirely possible for a car to be fun even without 7000bhp...And I think that's true of all of them.

Looking forward to more of the banter between them as they wear into the roles...Just hope the producers don't try to take too tight a control and strangle the show.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Im enjoying this series of TG also. The presenters seem to be gelling and more comfortable in their roles and decent banter. I approve of it.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

So after tuning out of last season about 3 episodes in maybe I should give this season a try ?

I also tuned out of the Grand Tour after about 3 episodes - I didn't dislike it the way I disliked the previous season of top gear, but it didn't keep pulling me back in either...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I watched all of the GT, but as with everything involving Jeremy Clarkson it was a bit silly and over the top. I hate Chris Evans so therfore really didnt like the last series of TG, but these guys seem quite down to earth and really enjoying themselves which makes it good to watch.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: New Top Gear

Post by mickeymoon »

Mandrake wrote:So after tuning out of last season about 3 episodes in maybe I should give this season a try ?
Yes. Definitely! I managed half of the first episode of the Evans-era TG! He is a complete knob!

This version is really good. I hope they can keep Matt Le Blanc, much as I surprise myself saying that. He's a proper petrolhead and can drive and ride well too.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Top Gear is better since Chris Evans has gone, not keen on the chap.

The Grand Tour was not very good.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I believe Chris Evans is best off where he is now. On the wireless.. He can be bloody irritating there but generally I enjoy his bubbly, bouncy lively banter in the mornings... The only bits of his show I don't like is when he has some Z-list celebrity on who is invariably about as interesting as a wet weekend in Scunthorpe...

Never watched any of the last series of TG and have no intention of watching this one either... Mainly because I'm long gone to bed by the time it is aired...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ever heard of i-Player Jim ? :rofl2:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:Ever heard of i-Player Jim ? :rofl2:

Yes, I have indeed Simon... I have a little white magic box under my vintage telly that does the job when on the rare occasions I need it.

Truth is, I'm normally busy making the most of my limited cognitive waking hours and find great difficulty in fitting any telly watching in. The trouble is, unlike listening to the wireless, you can't be doing something else at the same time...

Generally, the only times I watch is when I'm so ill I'm cognitively unable to read.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I'd say Jim that it's worth grabbing them for such an occasion. I've got them digitally if that helps (got to love Get-iPlayer).

The one thing they seem to have cracked at least in the last couple of episodes is being *entertaining* like TG used to be back ...Far more years ago than I care to think about.

The fact that none of the presenters really grate now helps a lot I think. Especially Harris, who I get the distinct impression understands and has a full and complete appreciation for how lucky he is to have the job he does.
Current fleet:
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Having Watched the Sweeney and the (original) Avengers they have far more car interest in them for me than what is currently playing away in the background i.e. Top Gear.

Others have, but I have no interest whatsoever in presenters driving ridiculously expensive McClarens around a race track at ridiculously high speeds giving a running commentary of how they handle and how fast they go.

That item took long enough then the embarassing "banter" about it in the studio yawn Yawn,

Next item A six tonne Ford ultimate Camper Truck, and a manufactured trip into the deepest woods to test out some "off-roaders" toys, again in the stupid price bracket.

I am about to switch off, even though its just background, absolutely bored to tears!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

LeBlanc is really excellent tbh. To my surprise he was a massive success story of the re-casting.
This series is better than the last, as the three of them are starting to bed in a bit better. And I must say I really really enjoyed last night's show - was excellent.

I've finally started watching the Grand Tour (after finding a way of watching it in full, streaming, without paying - since I am not giving Amazon a penny, or getting drawn into subscription after subscription...).
Not impressed tbh. It feels just like old Top Gear, but missing some of the good bits (the new track is utterly, utterly s**t and I miss the star in reasonably priced car). I didn't see anything extra special about the feature films in comparison to top gear (so can't see the budget spend there is actually any higher) and the studio talking is way, way too long now... However I guess they have to beef that up a bit in order to make it worthwhile them going round the world to new audiences, otherwise they might as well not bother?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)