Citroen ZX TD - how much is it worth?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

Citroen ZX TD - how much is it worth?

Post by wilkobob »

My car was recently in a rear end smash. It has a tow bar fitted, so that took the "brunt" of the force. Its rippled the boot floor (only slightly), buckled the two rear arces (can only tell if you are looking very closely under the right light), cracked bumper, cracked boot lid. Will also require a new light cluster.
I have had it to 3 body repair shops, who say its uneconmical to repair. So, im presuming the insurance company will write it off. Now, I have been told by the insurance company to put a value on the car. My question is, how much is an R- Reg, ZX TD SX (the one with electric everything) worth? Its got 110k on the clock, and its in more or less immaculate condition (pre accident). Anyone got any ideas?
Also, once things start getting sorted out, I may be interested in buying the car back from the insurers (I really like it, and id have a go at putting it right myself)... How much should I pay?
Sorry this is a long question, but any help would be appreciated.
My guesses were: write off value (to buy another) in region of £1600 - £2100 (Dealers aint cheap!)
and to buy my car back id think of paying up to £400
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

As for the pre accident value of the car parkers state
Dealer Retail - £1620
Private Good - £1280
so somewhere between these.
As for it's worth now - £150 pay no more than £250 as if you go to the auction it is sold at you will pay a lot less than this.
If you wish to keep it don't tell the insurance company till you have agreed on a pre accident value for the car then negotiate the current worth(always refuse the first offer even if you are happy with it). Also make sure it doesn't run when the assesor comes out, tell them it hasn't run since the bash
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Cant really tell them that, since im still using it (the damage is hardly noticable, just to get it back to pre accident condition is uneconomical). The bloke at out local body shop says the car is in top condition, so its worth top book, but also said dont only go on the values in the book, look to see what they are selling for, and ive seen them sell for more than £2k in that condition and age (Some older ones as well).
I do like the car, and would have it back, and repair what I could myself (so it at least looks ok). If it does turn out they want loads of money to buy it back, then il let them keep it, and consider buying another car
Either another ZX, possibly a Xantia, if not it will be a mondeo (sorry to sin), just I have had a mondeo before and it was brilliant. Not had any experience of Xantias though.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

The mileage it has done is about 30-35k over the mileage for the book valuations so this means you won't get top book price. The insurance pay out on what it would cost to replace the car with a similar one and they use parkers as a guide for this. If it has a full service history it will help you in your claim for top dollar otherwise the less stamps you have in the book the lower the valuation will go. The prices in Parkers and similar are way over what you would actually pay so I recon £1600 tops. As for 2K no chance I've often seen 2000/2001 206's with full service history and 30-50K miles go for that price.
Because of the damage to the boot pan and rear wings it is basically deemed commercially as scrap(good for you though). HOWEVER the fact that the tow bar took the brunt means the chassis is likely bent. Have you measured the wheel base on both sides? are they equal? if not you will have a car that tracks bad and will eat rear tyres. It may also mean the insurance will classify it as unrepairable (not just an economical write-off) in which case you will need an engineers report before it can be returned to the road and to get one the car will need straightening on a jig(expensive)