Room 101 open for deposits.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Chambre cent-un open for deposits.....

Post by elma »

A dodge 50 to be precise.
I wanted a Fiat Ducato LWB 2.8Td
However with electric vehicles looming I've a few itches to scratch before engines are a thing of Museums.
Maserati is out of budget but a tatty Dodge can be had for not that much and they both sound mean.
Never know though, I've been given a little budget for a side project that may prove lucrative so maybe Maserati, Xm, Fiat and Tesla.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:I'm putting Wasps in there, no need for them they're just nasty, flying and aggressive woodlouse.
I'm badly allergic to them James and suffer anaphyleptic shock if I get stung by them... I have to avoid them at all costs and I'm frankly terrified by them.

However they are spared Room 101 as they do a lot of good - they're the carrions of the insect world and do a great deal of cleaning up and keeping things tidy, just like bird and mammal carrions do... Great assets in the garden.

Imagine what would happen if the corvid family did not deal with roadkill as they do...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

CitroJim wrote:
However they are spared Room 101 as they do a lot of good - they're the carrions of the insect world and do a great deal of cleaning up and keeping things tidy, just like bird and mammal carrions do... Great assets in the garden.

Imagine what would happen if the corvid family did not deal with roadkill as they do...
But woodlouse do all of that and they are pleasant, peaceful creatures. Let's at least give the wasps an asbo then
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Let's at least give the wasps an asbo then
Ok, we'll just give them a good talking to and tell them to keep their stings to themselves and stop bothering humans :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Have you ever seen how a spider manages a wasp that has got trapped in the web? It is very careful (once it knows what it has caught). Once it has sized up the wasp it will move in towards the head (well away from the sting), and then tap it hard. The wasp will then struggle, and get more tangled up. When it stops moving the spider will tap it again. Once the wasp is so tangled up it cannot move the spider will then bite it. Now the wasp will REALLY struggle, but eventually will die. The spider I saw doing this went in and bit the wasp again, just to be sure. When it wrapped the wasp it was very careful (compared to when it wrapped a normal fly).
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 22 Jul 2017, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
elma

Post by elma »

I've watched a few spiders take wasps on and it is very impressive. Once I jumped to the spiders rescue only to find it was actually winning. I like spiders, my caravan is full of them and they are welcome to stay so long as they steer clear of my bed.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Have you ever seen how a spider manages a wasp that has got trapped in the web? It is very careful (once it knows what it has caught). Once it has sized up the wasp it will move in towards the head (well away from the sting), and then tap it hard. The spider will then struggle, and get more tangled up. When it stops moving the spider will tap it again. Once the wasp is so tangled up it cannot move the spider will then bite it. Now the wasp will REALLY struggle, but eventually will die. The spider I saw doing this went in and bit the wasp again, just to be sure. When it wrapped the wasp it was very careful (compared to when it wrapped a normal fly).
It's quite touching how the other wasp tries to rescue its mate!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, spiders are good... Never, ever kill a spider...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

I accidentally washed one down the shower plug this morning, I was really quite upset. She was pregnant as well so I hope she was a good swimmer, the pipe to freedom in the field is not that long.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

CitroJim wrote:
elma wrote:I'm putting Wasps in there, no need for them they're just nasty, flying and aggressive woodlouse.
I'm badly allergic to them James and suffer anaphyleptic shock if I get stung by them....
Yes, same here. I'm ok with bees though, oddly. As for wasps, as soon as I see one of the little sods inside the house, I make sure I kill it. No second chances, and I don't miss.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Moths. Please, pretty please, can we put moths in? I'm terrified of the bloody things. From small ones, to the big bat-like things that I see abroad, I'm terrified of them all.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickeymoon wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
I'm badly allergic to them James and suffer anaphyleptic shock if I get stung by them....
Yes, same here. I'm ok with bees though, oddly. As for wasps, as soon as I see one of the little sods inside the house, I make sure I kill it. No second chances, and I don't miss.
I'm OK with bees too - well, as OK as you can be if stung.... Bees only ever sting as a last resort as it's a death sentence for them; not so for wasps who use it as a weapon rather than the bees' defence...

The reason is not so odd... the chemistry of the sting between bees and wasps is totally different... One's acidic and the other is alkaline for a start...

James, spiders are tough little creatures and swim well ;)
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Mickeymoon, we shall have to see if we can get you some trained bats, to keep the area around you free of moths.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Moths are just bloody annoying...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickeymoon wrote:Moths. Please, pretty please, can we put moths in? I'm terrified of the bloody things. From small ones, to the big bat-like things that I see abroad, I'm terrified of them all.
That's the beauty of the FCF Chambre Cent-Un, you can put whatever you like in on a personal basis, without challenge or arbitration from Frank Skinner.

As far as our insect friends go I am as chicken-hearted as you can be.........apart from those little black things in the summer that drive you to distraction and overwhelming violence as they merrily eat your face away.

Sometimes I do philosophise about those tiniest specs of life. They have waited since the beginning of time (if indeed time does have a beginning) to come into existance, longer than a billion years, and in 2 seconds flat they get obliterated by the hand of us homo sapiens and our cars. Think of the insect carnage on our headlights!
elma wrote:I accidentally washed one down the shower plug this morning, I was really quite upset. She was pregnant as well so I hope she was a good swimmer, the pipe to freedom in the field is not that long.
Glad that it still had a fighting chance James!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey