Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by mickeymoon »

Gibbo2286 wrote:LDV built a great range of vehicles, builder's trucks, school and police minibuses, ambulances etc.
Take a look now all the cop's minibuses are Mercs and all the ambulances Renaults, Mandelson knew how to look after his EU mates :(
It's nothing to do with Mandelson and the EU.

It's to do with the fact the LDV stuff was awful compared to the Mercs and Renaults. It was comparable up until the mid-late 80s but never got any better, unlike Ford, Merc, VW, Renault etc.
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by mickeymoon »

CitroJim wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote:LDV built a great range of vehicles, builder's trucks, school and police minibuses, ambulances etc.
I drove a very late LDV Van made just before it all folded... Best van I've ever driven. Knocked a lot of spots off the Trannies and Merc. Sprinters of the time...
I'm presuming the Sprinter was knacked then! I got to test some vans for work back in 1996 - Sprinters and LDV Convoys.

There was *no* comparison. The Sprinter was smooth, powerful, quiet and had a cab like a car. It handled and went well with its 130bhp.

The archaic Convoy with it's interior made from BL rejects parts bin, horrid handling and wheezy 90bhp was absolutely awful in comparison. Hell, the Sprinter even had ABS (standard) and aircon!
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by elma »

Look at ones that are the same price and the LDV roars ahead though. £1500 gets a perfect one whereas it's more like £5k for a sprinter. The 200 / Pilot is awesome as well. Not many vans of that size are RWD and it's XUD9/DW8 powered. LDV suited their place in the market, nice and simple with very similar layup to an HGV for little money.
I personally like Mk1 Transits, Merc vans up to but not including the Sprinter, VW Lts from the beginning to the present and American V8 day vans. Every other van I've driven has been dull including the fleet of Boxers we have at work which to be honest aren't great.
Why Citroen never made the Tubik is beyond me though, that would have become a favourite. Now they are looking at EV tech maybe they will revisit it and make me happy.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Funny enough followed a Tesla Model X on the way home. Boot badge said P90D - which makes it a 90 kWh job, starting at a whisker under £90 grand....
Richard W
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Funnily enough early last year before the Ev thing was gathering pace I was in the car going somewhere with the kids and suddenly my daughter shouted "Dad! Tesla!"
And i said "Ugh?" [emoji23]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

As an experiment I drove into Glasgow today and parked in Cambridge Street car park - there are 8 EV charging spots, 4 were taken when I arrived at 8:20, checking online now at 10:20 I can see that all 8 are currently in use!
She said that is an easy under cover mainstream one where people are parking anyway bang in City Centre. "There are loads elsewhere, Liesure Centres the lot and I patrol them day and night" she says. She drives Glasgow 200miles a day, 5 days a week. Also wanted to know why you were there as it is also a notorious gay pick up point. :rofl2: She also said it was only an anorak that would want to go out and sit in a car for half an hour charging it up for the sake of a tenners of fuel :lol: She asked if you were a Geek? I told her that you read EV manuals in your bed. "Nuff said" was her reply :-D
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Your wife is a tough nut lexi, she will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future when the EV's take over... :rofl2:

I wasn't parked there waiting for it to charge, I left it charging when I went to work! :wink: If I can get a free charge while its parked why not ? If the Scottish Government wants to pay for my charging who am I to say no. :-D

It was only a test anyway, because although I plan to start driving into Glasgow soon (can't stand the train any more) its likely I won't be able to park anywhere with charging at a reasonable cost.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A good little summary of how to drive an EV as efficiently as possible:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/sit ... hicles.pdf

Of interest are:
Harsh acceleration has less effect on energy
consumption in a ULEV than in conventional vehicles,
however, there is still an energy penalty.
This is because the efficiency of an electric motor hardly drops at all even at full power. The battery efficiency (at least of current Li Ion designs) does drop somewhat at maximum output though so there is some loss of efficiency, but it is fairly modest. In contrast with an ICE engine (especially petrol) which is VERY inefficient when you floor it, partly due to having to run a rich mixture in the case of petrol.
High speeds increase energy consumption in EVs
more than they increase fuel consumption in
conventional vehicles. Typically in a conventional
vehicle, the most efficient speed (and therefore
maximum MPG) is achieved at approximately
40 – 50 mph, but the most efficient speed for
EVs is lower than this. The reason for the higher
energy consumption at speed is that air resistance
(drag) increases by the square of the vehicle speed.
With conventional vehicles this effect is somewhat
countered by the fact that vehicles are more
efficient in higher gears, but with EVs the countering
effect of gears does not come in to play. This is
why electric cars are well suited to city driving
where speeds are often lower.
As I've noted before, approximately 40mph in top gear is the most efficient speed for an ICE - faster than that and wind resistance starts adding a lot more drag, lower than that and you have to use lower gears that increase engine losses in proportion to road speed, however since an electric car only has one gear ratio the slower the better for efficiency.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I saw a Nissan electric van today. Quite a big thing, Transit size.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Mandrake wrote:Your wife is a tough nut lexi, she will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future when the EV's take over... :rofl2:

I wasn't parked there waiting for it to charge, I left it charging when I went to work! :wink: If I can get a free charge while its parked why not ? If the Scottish Government wants to pay for my charging who am I to say no. :-D

It was only a test anyway, because although I plan to start driving into Glasgow soon (can't stand the train any more) its likely I won't be able to park anywhere with charging at a reasonable cost.
She is only kidding you..........it's the Glasgow Banter :lol: Hey, don't tell the guys on here about the free charging. It is actually the English that are paying for all this. Wee Nicola and her gang are getting no oil revenue, so HM Govt are paying all this kind of stuff. Having got rid of Prince Charlie (Salmond) it is hopefully not long before Flora McDonald (Sturgeon) goes next. :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Glow in the dark Paint anyone?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Now if all cars were painted glow in the dark Xantia headlights would not be such a problem :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think its actually the electricity leaking out. :wink:

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:I think its actually the electricity leaking out. :wink:
Or it's nuclear powered Peter :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

The 215 mile range quoted for the LDV, was that empty or loaded, as surely, just like the oil burners, the more load the more power is needed!!

Sorry but can not see a (BEV) Electric Van being any good, really needs to be powered by a hydrogen Fuel-cell to get a usable the range.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi