Electric vehicles-Conversions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by mickeymoon »

white exec wrote:Just a shame his admirable competency and diplomacy at Defence has now given way to arrogance, sneering and excessive 'joke' cracking. In the circumstances the UK is now in, all that is quite inappropriate. Absolutely no laughing matter
100% agree with you.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by Mandrake »

Here is another presentation by Tony Seba (whose 2030 prediction video I previously posted) this time talking about Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars vs Battery Electric Cars.

Pretty compelling debunking of Hydrogen Fuel cells in cars if you ask me! :shock:

As I said a while back, years ago I was a big proponent (at least on a theory level) of Hydrogen as the universal fuel of the future - because not only could it run existing (modified) petrol engines of the era it could also power electric cars via Fuel Cells. At the time electric cars basically didn't exist because battery technology was nowhere near ready, even by today's standards. However he really does shoot hydrogen down in flames, (ha!) when the entire necessary infrastructure around it is analysed properly.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

https://youtu.be/23lz9ercqvA?t=475

Same clip Simon, but at least I know what the headline for that particular screen shot means now!

The term "disruptive" holds no fears for me now, just hope the UK starts getting disruptive a little quicker.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: Sorry about the politics, Jim. Will try not to do it again.
No worries Chris ;) It's only ever a problem when people start getting very wound up and agitated and as long as it's in context and not just a rant I'm content...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Just picked up this from the USA motor press:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/tesla-does ... otype-yet/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

A bit of sniping from the competition, no doubt.
Chris
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I wouldn't worry about it. The article is basically quibbling over the difference between an "Alpha" and "Beta" pre-production design and how close they are to the finally released product.

Tesla has a track record of delivering late on all their models, (just look at how delayed the Model X was!) but when they do deliver they get it right, more or less. I'd rather it was a few months later than promised and top notch than rushed out before it was completely ready and full of defects or design flaws. (or software bugs!)

Also worth keeping in mind that Tesla are the focus of a lot of media attention, and it's unusual to see so much scrutiny of pre-production versions of cars - the article is saying that the design is being finalised unusually close to the promised release date, but how common is that behind the closed doors of the auto industry that we don't normally get to peek into ? I bet a lot decisions are made especially on spec levels for new models of cars pretty close to launch date, especially if the components are modular in design and can be changed without an overall change in the design of the car.

In the case of the Model 3 it does appear that the Instrument cluster and heads up display may have multiple different prototypes and they have not yet decided which one to go with - but that doesn't necessarily mean that the car will be delayed, just that the choice of which one to go with might be made fairly late... but if they are modular and easy to swap that is not a big deal.

Lets just wait and see what happens. Reports are that the 2018 model year Leaf due at the end of this year will have the same range as the Chevy Bolt (eg 200+ miles and 60kWh battery) so if that is true and the Model 3 also comes out in late 2017 with 200+ mile range and an "affordable" price things are finally getting some real momentum in the mid price longer range EV market...especially in the UK where the Chevy Bolt will not be available!
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Did you read the comments below the piece from their subscribers? A real mixed bunch. :)

My following Car & Driver goes back to the 1960s when I used their small ads to sell my Roller to a guy in San Francisco and I've visited their stands in a number of motor fairs over there.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: My following Car & Driver goes back to the 1960s when I used their small ads to sell my Roller to a guy in San Francisco and I've visited their stands in a number of motor fairs over there.
Gibbo...I have just posted up a link on "Pictures of the Day" which you may find interesting :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53436&start=1075

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote:Did you read the comments below the piece from their subscribers? A real mixed bunch. :)
The comments can provide a bit of entertainment, and maybe a bit of balance. TESLA continue to take Investors and Governments along with their vision, but at this stage of their development they fit firmly into the "loss-making" category of car-makers. A $0.8 billion loss for the year in 2016 and cumulative losses of $3 billion would have closed most businesses but for now TESLA not only survive not being currently profitable, but apparently thrive and go for expansion.

I smile at the odd dig at Europe from our US friends....
Tesla builds the best EV; but selling an EV in Europe is like trying to sell a computer to a caveman.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

On seen on Dagens Nyheter a couple of days ago that I forgot about - Tesla are building one of their megafactories there, to open in 2020.

Edited to add: Sorry, that would be Sweden for those unaware.
NewcastleFalcon

If it's this one here Steve, it's planned to be set up by Northvolt-a company started up by a couple of former Tesla employees.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/110 ... esla-execs

Good news if it comes off, but why no UK start-ups planning the same?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Electric cars/vans/bikes-Conversions/Secondhand..etc

Post by mickeymoon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Tesla builds the best EV; but selling an EV in Europe is like trying to sell a computer to a caveman.
That's a bit rich coming from a third world country like the US!
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Here's a bit of a sideways take on this.
1, From what I can see there seem to be quite a few town councils jumping on the bandwagon and declaring their intention to ban diesel cars.
2, Many traders are complaining that town centres are losing trade to out of town shopping centres/malls.
Have the councils just shot themselves in the foot by sending even more trade out of town?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Just saw this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39224680

Only applies to cars newly registered from April this year, however the reason is clear - due to previous zero VED incentives for low CO2 cars too many cars today are in the C1 category that are exempt from VED under the current rules that it is starting to hurt government coffers, so they are going to shift the goal posts.... a lot! :twisted:

Basically under the new scheme the only new cars that will be completely exempt from VED are zero emissions cars which include BEV's and, Hydrogen Fuel Cell. In light of the presentation I posted recently that shows that Hydrogen is anything but zero carbon and zero emissions when you take the distribution chain into account I'm not sure that Hydrogen should have been included in this exemption but hey ho...

So will this help stimulate the uptake of EV's even further when even the smallest petrol car like a C1 is no longer VED exempt ? If so, that's a good thing.

However if they achieve their eventual goal of encouraging most motorists to EV's will it then start to hurt in the coffers again and cause them to move the goal posts yet again so that EV's do in fact pay VED ? I think this is almost inevitable unfortunately, but those who jump on the EV band wagon at the beginning of the adoption curve will at least get a few years (5-10 ?) of zero VED before the hammer comes down on them too...

I do find it a bit strange that some of the thresholds are based on arbitrary engine capacity limits (1549cc) not horsepower or emissions and also that CO2 is the only emission taken into account for the tax when we know that Diesels are getting hammered for their NOx and particulate emissions that are arguably more dangerous than CO2.

It sends a mixed message when a lower CO2 but higher particulates and NOx Diesel still gets lower VED despite looming bans in large cities and real health concerns! [-X
Simon

1978 CX 2400