Breakdown Cover: 15months for £71

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Breakdown Cover: 15months for £71

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

just a mention, delighted to find that my Breakdown provider of the last few years has a deal on at the moment, making an already very reasonable premium even better.

£71 for full cover, including all bells & whistles, for 15months instead of 12mths with Autonational. Strangely no mention of it anywhere in the course of taking it out (a 'deferred renewal' in my case, it ran out a couple of days prior to my MOT fail at the end of Jan), but policy document came thru instantly by email with expiry 06 Jun 2018. Result !

Can vouch for their service too by the way, including an impressively quick & efficient recovery of over 200miles from North Yorkshire (with a pump fail on a replacement engine; it'd been run on Veg), few years back now.
Puxa
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: Breakdown Cover: 15months for £71

Post by demag »

Yes I used them for a few years with that deal.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's excellent value :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

It's cheaper than my AA, but mine covers me in any car and it has been used a few times with a few recoveries, the most notable was taking the activa to Jim's when the clutch went.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Still pricey compared to Autoaid I've been using for a few years now. In the region of £40 a year (have to confess I didn't actually take note of what the last renewal was). That cost covers recovery and roadside assistance for both me and my husband for any vehicle.

They are more of a dispatching agent rather than a one-stop-shop. They contact a local recovery agent who comes to your aid, and you then either recoup the costs via a claim form, or ask for an invoice, and forward to that to them.

Only used them once (when both headlight bulbs failed and left my husband stranded at work with no headlights when I was at the other end of the country), but the process was faultless to be honest.

They had someone on site within 20 minutes, had things sorted in next to no time (replacement bulbs were Osram as well rather than an unknown cheapy brand), and the invoice was sorted within 48 hours of me forwarding it to them by email.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Seems expensive to me (bit like the insurance on the C15 - which includes breakdown cover) but then I'm sure I'm only paying twice that for insurance on the Cadillac, including full European recovery! The Jeep's covered by the "free" Greenflag cover that comes with my (fee paying) bank a/c, but probably not after the next renewal - 'cos it's rubbish: no freefone No: & it's like phoning a bank, imagine you're stuck by the side (or maybe in the middle) of the road & your having to go through the whole security questions pantomime. Can't remember how much extra recovery is on that policy - but nowhere near £70, albeit only for 12 months.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

My cars are covered by Green Flag, which comes free with my Natwest Bank account. I've used it a few times, obviously, as I owned a Citroen C4, and it has always been absolutely spot on. My bank account costs £12 per month but it includes that, travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and a couple of other things, and it's well, well worth it as I've used it all! I had the C4 recovered home three times in a week, taken to a local garage once, and taken up to Malcolm Savoy 220 miles away not once, but twice - all this in the space of a month, so, for the cost, it has been a complete bargain!

I don't think I've used it for anything other than the C4..
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

It did respond to this at some length, which (as so often happens) when I came to "submit" I needed to log-in again & forgot to copy my text 1st, so lost it all.

Can't be bothered to do it all again so, suffice to say, I have the corresponding package from RBS - which has cost £16 per month for some time now. I've already stated the shortcomings of the breakdown service + the last time I called, it cost about £8. The phone insurance is a joke: the excess is far more than I could ever imagine spending on a phone. The travel insurance is just too difficult to claim on & is increasingly looking like poor value. Really must find time to speak to my bank about an alternative a/c.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Green Flag - 0800 freephone number, £70 excess on phone insurance which for a device costing £400+ if not bought on contract , is pretty good and the travel insurance paid up twice, pretty much instantly, once for a cancelled holiday and once for my son's hospital visit in Spain. You have the wrong bank account :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've never bothered with breakdown cover, as a mechanic I can fix most things at the roadside myself and if not I can call on the nearest recovery truck the cost of which is usually less than a couple of years sub to the AA or RAC or whatever.

I've only needed recovery twice in my life since I started motoring in 1954 so the cost of breakdown saved would buy me a new car or two. :-D
Likewise the gas boiler cover being offered by the likes of British Gas, if you saved the premiums in a bank account instead you could buy a new boiler every seven to nine years, I note also that the crafty sods have an 'excess' charge of £60 per call out in their small print..
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

mickeymoon wrote:Green Flag - 0800 freephone number, £70 excess on phone insurance which for a device costing £400+ if not bought on contract , is pretty good and the travel insurance paid up twice, pretty much instantly, once for a cancelled holiday and once for my son's hospital visit in Spain. You have the wrong bank account :)

My choice of bank a/c is under review: it doesn't represent value for money any more. In fact I'd be only to please to dump RSB altogether - but there always seems to be some long running dispute/complaint.

The breakdown cover used to provide an 0800 number - but that went with the last "upgrade" At least I don't have to 'phone the number the bank provided, jump through hoops & then be given another No: BUT it is still like calling the bank, rather than a recovery service. Even when I tried an 0800 number I had for Greenflag from an earlier membership, the call routed through to the bank No:

I couldn't imagine spending £17, never mind £70, on a 'phone - as for £400 . . . . !

The only time I made a claim on the travel insurance, when I had to cancel a weekend break due to my mother's rapidly deteriorating health, I gave up; it was difficult enough to gather evidence of the on-line hotel booking & train tickets never mind medical evidence from a nursing home 200-odd miles away, which they wouldn't disclose because of patient confidentiality.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Breakdown Cover: 15months for £71

Post by mickeymoon »

van ordinaire wrote:
My choice of bank a/c is under review: it doesn't r

I couldn't imagine spending £17, never mind £70, on a 'phone - as for £400 . . . . !
I prefer to think of it as a small computer. I hardly ever use it as a phone. Can't remember the last time I switched my home laptop on, the phone does pretty much everything I need and more.. music player, radio, sat nav, cycling tracker.... everything!

If one takes into account all the devices it can (and for me does) replace, it's actually pretty good VFM..

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I like getting my phones broken to save money. I just bought 2 Nexus 4s for £5 each and turned them into one good one. I couldn't pay more than that for something I see as a complete nuisance and will probably break myself within a few months. I'd rather spend the money on a decent day out. I bought a Nexus 5 for under £10 last week too, I only need the power/charging board to fix it but I want to get it from another scrap phone rather than buy new as then I have a spare everything for the next bit I'm sure to break.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

I generally replace mine every 2 or 3 years with a new one and hand mine down to someone less fortunate - the last few have gone to rellys in Colombia where these things are hellish expensive. I'll not be doing that with this current Samsung S6 Edge though. It's staying until it dies as I can't see what else I could possibly want to use a phone for that it doesn't do already..
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Is that the one with the curved sides on the screen? My colleagues have a talent for breaking them, expensive hobby.