I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Classic car Autumn/Winter Collection-2016/17-What have you spotted?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Red 08 C5x7 Exclusive saloon turning into a side road in Frome today, wonder if we have another living close by ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Stickyfinger wrote:Red 08 C5x7 Exclusive saloon turning into a side road in Frome today, wonder if we have another living close by ?
Frome you say...did it have chips on the roof?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

LOL, when will TRUMP Tweet about that
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

On the cycle comment, read an article today saying that 85% of cyclists injuries are caused by lorries turning left and want something done about it. Maybe a Lexia brain reset would cure the stupidity of running up the inside of said vehicles - surely this goes against all advice and should be appearing in the Darwin Awards?
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

harryp wrote:On the cycle comment, read an article today saying that 85% of cyclists injuries are caused by lorries turning left and want something done about it. Maybe a Lexia brain reset would cure the stupidity of running up the inside of said vehicles - surely this goes against all advice and should be appearing in the Darwin Awards?
Yes, I agree, as a very high-mileage cyclist, absolutely... Undertaking is a quick route to the undertaker...

There is never a need...

How some cyclists ride really shocks and horrifies me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

That statistic doesn't surprise me to be honest, the number of times I saw cyclists doing just that when I was behind the wheel of a bus defied belief.

Motorcyclists were just as bad, mind you. Nothing like having one materialise momentarily in your nearside mirror then vanish leaving you no idea where they are. It's hard to believe how absolutely huge your blind spots are in vehicles like that!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Motorcyclists are, on the whole, just mental :twisted:

The risks they take are breathtaking and on two tyres too; if one or the other blew out or a patch of slippery stuff is hit - diesel especially - then it's almost invariably curtains...

I used to be a very keen motorcyclist and would be again but I'd ride like I drive and how I ride my cycle... In truth I always used to...

My last bike was getting on 25 years ago now... A Suzuki GT550 triple..

One just like this one...
1976_GT550_450.jpg
Still miss it even now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

harryp wrote:On the cycle comment, read an article today saying that 85% of cyclists injuries are caused by lorries turning left and want something done about it. Maybe a Lexia brain reset would cure the stupidity of running up the inside of said vehicles - surely this goes against all advice and should be appearing in the Darwin Awards?
In Berlin the cycle lane approaching right turns, is on the outside of the kerbside lane: seems such a simple if not, perhaps, obvious solution.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I love motorbikes but no way would I ride one on the road. Mx or track os the only way for me and I doubt I'd do track because it seems a real hassle to get all the gear and trailer it down there. Mx bike in the fields would be fun though, got me thinking.
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Classic car Autumn/Winter Collection-2016/17-What have you spotted?

Post by mickeymoon »

CitroJim wrote:
Cyclists can be some bloody funny people Steve ;) Take it from a very keen and active one. I'm frankly staggered by the behaviour of some of my fellows and snobbery is breathtaking...
I am a cyclist and I am a bloody funny person. Not funny in that way though. Snobs. I get the same as all my gear is bulk-bought Muddy Fox stuff bought a couple of years ago on sale, apart from my Shimano shoes, which were only £35. It's the ones who wear team-branded gear (Team Sky, for example) and have all the gear, so they think they are Bradley Wiggins.

Then they get overtaken going up a hill by a fat Northerner on a reasonably cheap bike wearing old cheap gear :)
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

CitroJim wrote:Motorcyclists are, on the whole, just mental :twisted:

The risks they take are breathtaking
I was a keen motorcyclist for many years too. Amazingly, despite taking those risks, I'm still here. A few scars and aches and pains from crashes but nothing serious. I used to think it fun to go very fast, seen the wrong side of 140 a couple of times - on an autobahn (it was, in all honesty!) and got nicked here doing over a ton.

Now it would scare the life out of me! The very thought makes me shiver!
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

elma wrote:I love motorbikes but no way would I ride one on the road. Mx or track os the only way for me and I doubt I'd do track because it seems a real hassle to get all the gear and trailer it down there. Mx bike in the fields would be fun though, got me thinking.
Track is expensive and quite frankly, boring as hell after about 10 laps! You can't race, and you're just driving round the same route again and again.

MX on a light, powerful 2-smoke is *brilliant* fun! I've been thinking about getting another for some time. Would have probably done last summer it if I hadn't suffered a serious ankle injury from which I still haven't recovered 8 months later.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I was very close to a head on crash yesterday, some dolt in a BMW overtaking two more dolts on bikes riding two abreast round a blind bend, a good job there was room to escape on my left. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

It's perfectly legal (rule 66 of the HC), and often much safer to ride two abreast. It usually prevents dickheads in BMWs doing such things, for a start.

It'll take double the distance to overtake two cyclists riding in line than it does to take a pair rising side by side. If you've got a group of 6 or 8...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

It's all down to common sense really though isn't it. How many people show that these days?